• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2022 Onward - General Travel Questions

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, but I wasn't really seeing anything.

I was hoping for a thread where we might be able to ask some of the SF community more in the know for tips about various airlines / travel destinations in an ongoing way.

I'll start w/ what I'm planning right now: Los Angeles to Maui in November.

I am primarily looking at AA and Alaska, as, in general, I'd prefer OneWorld whenever possible.

AA is running the A321neo on the route, Alaska is running their older 737-800. AA has some nice first class product going to Hawaii, but only really from Dallas.

Trying to figure out if I cash buy an extra room economy seat on one of the above, or use Ult Rew points to get a first class ticket on one of them. Flying with wife and 2 (by then) year old daughter.

The First product on both looks honestly pretty lackluster, but wondering if anyone has thoughts (and whether it will be worth it just to mitigate the horror of flying with a 2 year old).

Thanks!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What is Hawaiian running out of LA?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is Hawaiian running out of LA?

They are flying a A330 - def a nicer plane.
My thoughts on Hawaiian were:
1) Flight is like 2 hours earlier, would have to leave house around 5:00 AM.
2) Flight is 2-4-2 instead of 3-3 so would have to split the kid w/ wife (possible aggro)
3) Hawaiian Airlines 48<->Hawaii can't credit to JAL Mileage Bank

Hawaiian Prem Econ is like $50 more than AA and $250 less than Alaska.
Hawaiian First is more points than I want to spend on a 2 year old and my wife who doesn't care much.

Generally I like JAL because they let me family pool points and Japan/Taiwan is our most likely destination (in the before times).
I guess if we do Prem econ i shouldn't care about the miles maybe - hardly a ton and then maybe Hawaiian is the call if I can stomach the earlier flight.
W/ one of the other First products, would want the miles.

So I guess my question is are the AA/AlasA "First" seats on the planes just so bad they are like lighting Chase UR on fire?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hawaiian will feed you loco moco if that helps with the decision...

:-D

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawaiian will feed you loco moco if that helps with the decision...

:-D

Hmmm, I think the part I'm really debating is whether or not the slightly nicer widebody aircraft is worth having to be at LAX at 6:00 AM and thus **** up my kid's sleep schedule, versus arriving at LAX at 7:50 for Alaska.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I think the part I'm really debating is whether or not the slightly nicer widebody aircraft is worth having to be at LAX at 6:00 AM and thus **** up my kid's sleep schedule, versus arriving at LAX at 7:50 for Alaska.
that is so, so important for a 2-year-old. At least for our kids, they didn't really care about having a big seat/more space at that age. It was more that they had to sit still at all for certain sections of the flight, but for a 2-year-old I'd wager the onboard entertainment options will help a lot.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is so, so important for a 2-year-old. At least for our kids, they didn't really care about having a big seat/more space at that age. It was more that they had to sit still at all for certain sections of the flight, but for a 2-year-old I'd wager the onboard entertainment options will help a lot.

Yah, Hawaiian is the better product for sure.
Only advantages to Alaska over the Hawaiian flight are: Normal(ish) wake up time for my daughter and JAL points.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are planning a trip to Europe and put off by the crazy high cost of Business Class tickets, for an option, check out Delta's Premium Select. The Points Guy highly recommends it for comfortable reclining seats with foot rests. That is all I need on an overnight flight.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The airlines are in full **** and pillage mode right now. SFO - LHR for $11K in business or a mere 750,000 air miles.

😮‍💨

Jobst

Reaction score
May have to do Chicago to Perth in a few weeks. Have two ways to do it:
  1. to SFO/LAX, then Sydney, then Perth. On AA/Qantas.
  2. to Doha, then an overnight layover, then straight to Perth. On Qatar Air.
Would be economy either way, so I'm in for a world of pain regardless. Any thoughts as to lesser evil? I'm tall and seeing that the AA/Qantas seats have a bit more legroom. But with general chaos in the travel world all those transfers make me nervous. Have never flown Qatar so don't know what to expect there.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May have to do Chicago to Perth in a few weeks. Have two ways to do it:
  1. to SFO/LAX, then Sydney, then Perth. On AA/Qantas.
  2. to Doha, then an overnight layover, then straight to Perth. On Qatar Air.
Would be economy either way, so I'm in for a world of pain regardless. Any thoughts as to lesser evil? I'm tall and seeing that the AA/Qantas seats have a bit more legroom. But with general chaos in the travel world all those transfers make me nervous. Have never flown Qatar so don't know what to expect there.
Think I'd do the Qatar flight as it breaks the trip into two equal-ish chunks with a break in between.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heading to France for a week on Sunday. Any tips for Avignon? I will be there for 3 nights after a cycling tour got cancelled, so interested in any tips for the town - maybe a day trip a winery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads