• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2-button overcoats, classic or trendy?

spidercan

Reaction score
Just puchased a beautiful gray Isaia overcoat in my impossible to find size (36). However I've never seen one with 2 buttons and peak lapels. I may have given in to the "deal" over need, as I got it for $780. Is this classic enough or should I return?

http://www.yoox.com/us/41363990XL/item?dept=
(the washed out photo makes it look light gray/brown. It's really a medium gray)

Last edited:

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some overcoats are peak lapel-ed. But I don't remember ever seeing one with just 2 buttons.

spidercan

Reaction score
Posted a photo link in the OP. I've seen a lot of Paul Smith overcoats with two buttons. But aside from that neither have I.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the gorge. Too high.Something about the "peak" reaching over the shoulder line looks funny

I think high gorge notch lapel jackets/coats look fine.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to be a fan of current Isaia, but I now realize it has a strange cut. The chest is too small for the tagged size, and the jackets are always short. (29.25 on a 40R)

mhdena

Reaction score
Looks like a woman's coat.

Also at the bottom of the page are more women's clothes, boots, shoes, etc.

You sure you were in the right section? lol

spidercan

Reaction score
Ha yes it's common when you post links from yoox. Always shows the item in the women's section.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fine, but I'd be worried about practicality. You're going to retain less heat with that than you would with three buttons- there's a reason most overcoats don't leave much room open up top.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the point of coats cut that low is to show off your seriously nice cashmere scarf -- which you'll need. Just do that, I guess.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a huge fan of the gorge. Too high.Something about the "peak" reaching over the shoulder line looks funny

I think high gorge notch lapel jackets/coats look fine.

I've looked at the coat a couple times now and this is the opinion I've arrived at. Something about the peaks poking up over the shoulder really bugs me... I feel like I'd be always trying to push them down.

I don't hate the jacket but I certainly do thing it's on the fashion forward side and isn't meant to stand up as a classic look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads