• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

13.5 oz Cone Mills Selvedge, Made in San Fransisco, and only $81? Kickstarter

Kwaker

Reaction score
Thanks drift3r ... the comparison to the weird guy cut was particularly useful to me.

HAL 9000

Reaction score
HAL9000, I'm usually a size 28, so I skipped out on the Kickstarter. These guys were right down the street from me and I really wanted to support an exciting up and coming local business, so I emailed Josh and Stephen and they had me come by (they're currently working out of a loft apartment in downtown SF). They told me that they do even less vanity sizing than most of the premium selvage brands, and lo and behold, I was very comfortably able to fit into one of the 29s. Did a quick size comparison and their 29 is actually slightly snugger than Naked and Famous's 28.

Just got my pair of slim Heavy Japans today and I love the cut. Like brillopad said, they are easily comparable to jeans 2-3x the cost. I love the attention to detail , like the buttons and rivets, patch, and selvage beltloop. If I'm not mistaken, these are made in the same factory alongside Tellasons and 3Sixteens.

Drift3r thanks for the helpful reply! If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? And what are the measurements of your 28s (as in your other jeans/pants) in the waist when flat? 14.5" across?

I've heard that Gustin and Tellasons are really comparable. They use the same factory, so the quality is very close.

Last edited:

jonnyt

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of the super-lights and need a bit of confirmation on the sizing.
I am a true 36" waist (6'3" tall and 200lb with slightly muscular legs) and wear a 36 in ROY, Iron Heart and Sugar Cane. I went with 35 Straight from Gustin as their sizing guide shows 35.75 waist which I figure will stretch a little.
How have people found the fit of their top-block and thighs? Am a little worried they'll be too snug but if i size up to a 36, the waist will be too big (36.5").

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my tracking number for the Slim Cut Japan Heavy Slub, fyi for those waiting for their slims.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
johnnyt

Good question. I have the same concerns with what I purchased. I wear a 36 in just about everything. Levi's have been a staple for over 30 years and I wear a a consistent 36 until recent changes in the 505 fit. I did measure as instructed in the fit guide and came up around 35.5 ( i doubt my exactness :)) I wear a 34 in Lucky's. I bought a 34 (35 inch waist) and hope i continue to lose weight or it stretches to fit. I thought about a 33 which is a 34 inch waist.

Anyone in a similar situation and now owns the Gustin?

I am looking forward to getting the jeans and figuring out the fit and getting a few more pairs.

I also ordered the wallet and look to retire my George Castanza wallet!

all the best everyone

DuckOB

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just gotten confirmation and tracking number for my Gustin, early bird, heavy American. I should get it within 3 days or earlier since SF is around the corner from me. Will keep you guys updated.

Mox C

Reaction score

Just got my tracking number for the Slim Cut Japan Heavy Slub, fyi for those waiting for their slims.

Post what you think of them once you get them. I'm regretting not picking those up, but I wanted to make sure of the fit before ordering much more. And post a pic. I want to see what those suckers look like (which I'm sure will make me kick myself).

johnnyt & DuckOB, I've worn a 32 waist since the early 80's, up until they started mucking with the sizes. A 32 in the Gustin straight cut is snug for me, but I'm confident it will stretch fine. I don't know how the slim will fit yet. I did notice the fabric makes a difference. The soft Super Heavy is more comfortable than the stiff Overdye, and doesn't feel as tight. The straight Gustin has a higher rise, which makes it hard to compare, but my LVC '66 501's are 32 waist as well, if that helps any.

Definitely post a pic, Barrel.

jonnyt

Reaction score

johnnyt Good question. I have the same concerns with what I purchased. I wear a 36 in just about everything. Levi's have been a staple for over 30 years and I wear a a consistent 36 until recent changes in the 505 fit. I did measure as instructed in the fit guide and came up around 35.5 ( i doubt my exactness :)) I wear a 34 in Lucky's. I bought a 34 (35 inch waist) and hope i continue to lose weight or it stretches to fit. I thought about a 33 which is a 34 inch waist. Anyone in a similar situation and now owns the Gustin? I am looking forward to getting the jeans and figuring out the fit and getting a few more pairs. I also ordered the wallet and look to retire my George Castanza wallet! all the best everyone DuckOB

Cheers, let me know how they fit when you get them and I'll do the same with my pair.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just received my slim fit, Early Bird, Heavy Americans last night. The construction and quality is great. Way better than the earlier Gustin's I've seen in SF. I'm really impressed with the craftsmanship. However, 32 is a bit too tight on me. I think I should have gone with size 33 slim...Oh well, I'm wearing them now, and actually they are not as bad! I'll take some fit pics in a bit. I started stacking my slim fittings jeans and they actually look a lot better!

I'm usually a size 30 in Civilianire and 32 in other makes. I think Gustin, slim fit runs just a bit smaller. I got some muffin top action going on...
uhoh.gif

Oh well, I'm going to stretch it out for a bit and see how they fit afterwards.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an owner of two pairs of Gustin jeans with different denim, I urge everyone to measure carefully your best fitting jeans for comparison and fit. Do not go by the label size of any other brand. Most manufacturer sizes are vanity and have nothing to do with actual fit.

I measured mine with a $1.99 tailors fabric tape measure. (a good investment for anyone who buys clothing online). I had no problem with the Gustin size chart, my measurements and the jeans I received. However, the size of any jean by any manufacturer will vary a bit from jean to jean. These are after all sewn by hand and variations of 1/4" or more can and will happen. Even manufacturers of fine tailored dress pants will tell you the same thing.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As an owner of two pairs of Gustin jeans with different denim, I urge everyone to measure carefully your best fitting jeans for comparison and fit. Do not go by the label size of any other brand. Most manufacturer sizes are vanity and have nothing to do with actual fit.

I measured mine with a $1.99 tailors fabric tape measure. (a good investment for anyone who buys clothing online). I had no problem with the Gustin size chart, my measurements and the jeans I received. However, the size of any jean by any manufacturer will vary a bit from jean to jean. These are after all sewn by hand and variations of 1/4" or more can and will happen. Even manufacturers of fine tailored dress pants will tell you the same thing.
What size did you get in Gustin and what size do you wear in other manufacturers?

aizan

Reaction score
have they said anything about making a higher rise version? i wear a 28 and i really prefer a 12'' front rise.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some photos of my Heavy Americans, slim fit, size 32. It's a bit slim for my taste but I might keep these...These are actually boarder line skinny...But I do like the look of stacking slims...

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics