Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

13.5 oz Cone Mills Selvedge, Made in San Fransisco, and only $81? Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by SparhawkJC, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Thanks drift3r ... the comparison to the weird guy cut was particularly useful to me.

2. HAL 9000

HAL 9000 Senior member

Drift3r thanks for the helpful reply! If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? And what are the measurements of your 28s (as in your other jeans/pants) in the waist when flat? 14.5" across?

I've heard that Gustin and Tellasons are really comparable. They use the same factory, so the quality is very close.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

3. jonnyt

jonnyt Senior member

I just bought a pair of the super-lights and need a bit of confirmation on the sizing.
    I am a true 36" waist (6'3" tall and 200lb with slightly muscular legs) and wear a 36 in ROY, Iron Heart and Sugar Cane. I went with 35 Straight from Gustin as their sizing guide shows 35.75 waist which I figure will stretch a little.
    How have people found the fit of their top-block and thighs? Am a little worried they'll be too snug but if i size up to a 36, the waist will be too big (36.5").

4. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Just got my tracking number for the Slim Cut Japan Heavy Slub, fyi for those waiting for their slims.

5. DuckOB

DuckOB Senior member

johnnyt

Good question. I have the same concerns with what I purchased. I wear a 36 in just about everything. Levi's have been a staple for over 30 years and I wear a a consistent 36 until recent changes in the 505 fit. I did measure as instructed in the fit guide and came up around 35.5 ( i doubt my exactness :)) I wear a 34 in Lucky's. I bought a 34 (35 inch waist) and hope i continue to lose weight or it stretches to fit. I thought about a 33 which is a 34 inch waist.

Anyone in a similar situation and now owns the Gustin?

I am looking forward to getting the jeans and figuring out the fit and getting a few more pairs.

I also ordered the wallet and look to retire my George Castanza wallet!

all the best everyone

DuckOB

6. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I've just gotten confirmation and tracking number for my Gustin, early bird, heavy American. I should get it within 3 days or earlier since SF is around the corner from me. Will keep you guys updated.

7. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Post what you think of them once you get them. I'm regretting not picking those up, but I wanted to make sure of the fit before ordering much more. And post a pic. I want to see what those suckers look like (which I'm sure will make me kick myself).

johnnyt & DuckOB, I've worn a 32 waist since the early 80's, up until they started mucking with the sizes. A 32 in the Gustin straight cut is snug for me, but I'm confident it will stretch fine. I don't know how the slim will fit yet. I did notice the fabric makes a difference. The soft Super Heavy is more comfortable than the stiff Overdye, and doesn't feel as tight. The straight Gustin has a higher rise, which makes it hard to compare, but my LVC '66 501's are 32 waist as well, if that helps any.

Definitely post a pic, Barrel.

8. jonnyt

jonnyt Senior member

Cheers, let me know how they fit when you get them and I'll do the same with my pair.

9. barrelntrigger

I've just received my slim fit, Early Bird, Heavy Americans last night. The construction and quality is great. Way better than the earlier Gustin's I've seen in SF. I'm really impressed with the craftsmanship. However, 32 is a bit too tight on me. I think I should have gone with size 33 slim...Oh well, I'm wearing them now, and actually they are not as bad! I'll take some fit pics in a bit. I started stacking my slim fittings jeans and they actually look a lot better!

I'm usually a size 30 in Civilianire and 32 in other makes. I think Gustin, slim fit runs just a bit smaller. I got some muffin top action going on...[​IMG]

Oh well, I'm going to stretch it out for a bit and see how they fit afterwards.

10. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

As an owner of two pairs of Gustin jeans with different denim, I urge everyone to measure carefully your best fitting jeans for comparison and fit. Do not go by the label size of any other brand. Most manufacturer sizes are vanity and have nothing to do with actual fit.

I measured mine with a $1.99 tailors fabric tape measure. (a good investment for anyone who buys clothing online). I had no problem with the Gustin size chart, my measurements and the jeans I received. However, the size of any jean by any manufacturer will vary a bit from jean to jean. These are after all sewn by hand and variations of 1/4" or more can and will happen. Even manufacturers of fine tailored dress pants will tell you the same thing.

12. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

What size did you get in Gustin and what size do you wear in other manufacturers?

13. aizan

aizan Senior member

have they said anything about making a higher rise version? i wear a 28 and i really prefer a 12'' front rise.

14. barrelntrigger

Here are some photos of my Heavy Americans, slim fit, size 32. It's a bit slim for my taste but I might keep these...These are actually boarder line skinny...But I do like the look of stacking slims...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. barrelntrigger

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013