• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

11-14 Days in Italy (i.e. Eurotrip Part 3)

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I might get banned. Swear this is the last such post, although I like to think these are also useful for others in posterity.

So my friend backed out of the Paris/Amsterdam/Belgium trip (before we booked our flights, thankfully). I found another friend with whom to travel and we're going to do 11-14 days in Italy. The plan right now is fly to Rome, train up to Florence and then on to Venice, with the idea being those are the three major stops but we'd try to see some countryside in between. From what I've heard, it's not necessary to spend more than three days in any of those cities.

So yeah, non-touristy places to eat and drink (I like red wine, good beer, and espresso) and some non-touristy stuff to do would be great. I'll buy the guidebooks to be sure, but I'd prefer to stay off the beaten path if I'm not in a museum or historical site.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I might get banned. Swear this is the last such post, although I like to think these are also useful for others in posterity.

So my friend backed out of the Paris/Amsterdam/Belgium trip (before we booked our flights, thankfully). I found another friend with whom to travel and we're going to do 11-14 days in Italy. The plan right now is fly to Rome, train up to Florence and then on to Venice, with the idea being those are the three major stops but we'd try to see some countryside in between. From what I've heard, it's not necessary to spend more than three days in any of those cities.

So yeah, non-touristy places to eat and drink (I like red wine, good beer, and espresso) and some non-touristy stuff to do would be great. I'll buy the guidebooks to be sure, but I'd prefer to stay off the beaten path if I'm not in a museum or historical site.

not to be an ass, but if you wish to go off the beaten path,make a more unique paln of cities to visit.you essentially are folowing the beaten path. try the the less know areas in italy or any country that have excellent thing to see and food to try. in italy marche, basilicata. the southern part of veneto etc.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should make a stop in Brussels!

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarphe
not to be an ass, but if you wish to go off the beaten path,make a more unique paln of cities to visit.you essentially are folowing the beaten path. try the the less know areas in italy or any country that have excellent thing to see and food to try. in italy marche, basilicata. the southern part of veneto etc.

Well, yeah, but I can't exactly go to Italy for the first time ever and not see Rome/Florence/Venice. But I figure that with two weeks, that leaves time for a night's stay in 2-3 places off the beaten path.

Originally Posted by gdl203
You should make a stop in Brussels!

rimshot.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Well, yeah, but I can't exactly go to Italy for the first time ever and not see Rome/Florence/Venice. But I figure that with two weeks, that leaves time for a night's stay in 2-3 places off the beaten path.

rimshot.gif

6 days in rome
4 days florence
3 days Venice

ok for first time.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're pretty much going to have to travel on 'the beaten path' whether you want to or not. A lot of cities (especially Florence) are difficult to get around in without being able to ask people for directions. And for the most part, they like to keep tourists in their own little playground and feed them to the gypsies.

All the regions have their own travel guides on their respective website (www.regione.lazio.it, www.regione.puglia.it, etc.). Like I said, you'll probably have to rely on the tourism industry to get around, but if you want to see countryside then travel somewhere along the Adriatic.

Pescara is beautiful and accepting of non-fannypacked tourists (other Italians and Europeans vacation there). It's accessible and pretty easy to get around with thanks to Allied bombing efforts. From there it's easy to go south to other meridionale regions, north into Marche and Emiglia-Romagna, or go west a little bit into the Appenines to see some old school towns that still have the mark of the fascist on their address tiles. Gran Sasso is something to see, especially since there's lots of mountain lakes and other peaks on the way there (the surrounding area is a national park too, so lots of shepherds take their flocks there to graze).

aboutsomeoneelse

Reaction score
Last summer, I visited London, Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris, and spent three weeks in Italy.

I know he's a goofball, but the Rick Steves books were really helpful in getting to know what's around, and especially so with regards to museums and other points of interest (operating hours, when/how to visit, associated costs). They have tips regarding public transportation, cultural considerations, and *sometimes* point you in the right direction food-wise. His itineraries are great. Be aware, though -- the maps in his books absolutely blow, especially in Venice!

As for food, I've always found Chowhound to be a great resource for figuring out where to eat in many different countries.

Have fun!

Siggy

Reaction score
For your first time in Italy those are the three must-see cities. They are also the three largest tourist magnets. You won't be able to escape the hordes of North American tourists wearing sneakers, khaki shorts and baseball caps, and groups of Japanese taking pictures, especially in Florence and Venice. You also won't be able to really get off the beaten path unless you have a car there. However, you can try to avoid the touristy restaruants etc. and in terms of food and shops get off the beaten path. There are a number of good threads here on SF with great recommendations for restaurants and men's shops in Florence and Rome.

jcru

Reaction score
There are many good reasons to visit the places you mentioned; and if you could visit additional cities (e.g., Ravenna, Ferrara, and Trieste), you would definitely broaden your perspective on Italy. To understand well-established sites through the context of exploring less-beaten paths, moreover, is a great way to travel. And based on recent experience, you might consider the following:

ROME:
In addition to the Trastevere, an area just west of the Piazza Navona bordering via dei Coronari is an interesting, centrally-located pedestrian zone. Southeast of the Colosseo along via di San Giovanni in Laterano is a newly-designated district of bars & restaurants. And Zaha Hadid's MAXXI musuem is set to open after long delays and is reachable via bus from the Piazza del Popolo.
FLORENCE:
You've probably already heard the Oltrarno can provide relief from the dense tourism on the other side of the river, and Borgo San Frediano & via di San Niccolo are good places to restore.
VENICE:
I don't know much about local life in the city, but in July, I intend to visit Francois Pinault's art collection in a new museum designed by Tadao Ando; it is located @ the Punta della Dogana on the eastern tip of the Dorsoduro.

Have a good trip and just as much fun anticipating it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads