• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 week after owning my first Mac in a decade

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually you guys are wrong. Like I said I prefer windows, but apple does have an advantage for graphic design. MacBook pros have consistently been shown to process/render Photoshop functions faster at equivalent or even slower processor speeds. Just saying.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Just an FYI, once you get used to using excel on a pc, it's difficult to leave. Everything from the shortcuts to the layout of the keyboard to getting help from others is just different. I like my mac very much, but I want to punch a hole in it every fricking time I open a spreadsheet on it. As an aside, I use an old version of excel on both my work pc and home mac and I've heard both have improved greatly and the new version that's going to be released for the mac is supposed to be great.
This is true. Excel is the single best product that Microsoft makes. Numbers is very pretty but obnoxious and I find Open Office to be more accommodating. Running XP in a virtual machine is probably the best option. I was really surprised to find out how bad Office for Mac is compared to iWork. Office for Mac didn't even open up Word files I saved in XP, but Pages did.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
The new updated model iMac's are coming out tomorrow. For anyone that's interested in buying one after reading Field's orgasm inducing praise.

Yup, they introduced new imacs, new 12 core mac pros, new 27" display, magic track pad to use with a desktop.
Been waiting for this, will order the 27"

I have never used a pc or a microsoft product. Love hearing these debates about which is better.
I did use a pc to search for a book at Borders once.

Side note. I think the ipad is maybe the best thing Apple has created.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
I have never used a pc or a microsoft product. Love hearing these debates about which is better.
I did use a pc to search for a book at Borders once.

Side note. I think the ipad is maybe the best thing Apple has created.

You sound like a terrible person.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

Congratulations, this was your 12,000th post
smile.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Congratulations, this was your 12,000th post
smile.gif

Thanks. Please start a congratulatory thread for me, sent from your iPad.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey I'm not terribly tech savvy, but I am wondering why there's so much animosity between PC owners and Mac users?

I get that a lot of mac people buy into the corporate culture and all, but I actually see people getting as angry as they do over the abortion debate. It is an unbelievable wedge issue. I know that you're kidding with Mr. Despos, but I wonder if the kind of animosity that you're lampooning can be explained.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't get the hate between the mac and PC when there is in fact only two major players. windows vs os x just is hard to really get all riled up about when the only other choice between the two is LINUX.

Maybe if we had more of a choice and could really see whats better, but with only 3 operating systems you'll encounter (probably in our working lifetime) its better just to know how to use all three (or just windows and OS X) to make life easier.

as to the shortcuts thing - when it comes to microsoft office applications:

excel - its obvious excel is the standard (in its windows incarnation)
word - shortcuts are actually very similar to the point of being the same on 90%
powerpoint - the same as word 90% similar

i'm a bit of a shortcut on a keyboard person too. making medical presentations on powerpoint is basically 95% of what I use MS office for, and once you get the shortcuts down whole presentations can by typed up and organized so much more faster - on a mac or PC

MS word is probably the weirdest because the majority of all computer users just were forced to learn how to use it (and become very proficient), but its actually hard to use. just think of any major update they do to word and how hard it is to deal with.

the only reason i use word and powerpoint is just for compatibility sake - in case my computer dies and I have to use someone else's (PC or mac).

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Hey I'm not terribly tech savvy, but I am wondering why there's so much animosity between PC owners and Mac users?

Beause we do what the magic box tells us. TV commericals say that Apple/PC is the dividing line of an important culture war, so we take up arms like the good citizens we are.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

I get that a lot of mac people buy into the corporate culture and all, but I actually see people getting as angry as they do over the abortion debate. It is an unbelievable wedge issue. I know that you're kidding with Mr. Despos, but I wonder if the kind of animosity that you're lampooning can be explained.

I was annoyed by the fact that he never used a Windows machine (as in wtf, has the kid never actually had a job?). I was also annoyed that he thought the iPad was the greatest invention in history, while in actuality it is a well-hyped joke.

I am pretty impartial when it comes to Apple vs. Microsoft. I admit I side with Windows. But in this thread alone I've sung the praises of Macs for graphic design and mouse-based computer use. On top of that, I think the iPhone is the best phone on the market (once jailbroken). On the flip side, I think the iPad is a steaming pile of horse ****, and I think that Apple/Steve Jobs are arrogant assholes who annoy me to no end. I have tried both Windows and Mac (I spent $2000 of my own cash for a Macbook Pro) and opted for the Windows machine.

It's just the fanboys who have "never used Windows" (how the **** is that possible, it's like saying you've never heard of Michael Jordan) and think the over-hyped, glorified over-sized and impractical iPad is the greatest thing since sliced bread that rub me the wrong way.

spencers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
Metro's original argument: PCs are more efficient when it comes to anything that involves a keyboard. Macs are generally better for things that involve a mouse. Each have their strengths. Why his statement is well-constructed: He stated his past experience with both machines, and he stated his conclusion drawn from past experiences. He explained his own bias towards the keyboard, and hence his disposition towards PCs. spencers could have at least countered with a non-fallacious argument or statement, instead he chose to dismiss the original argument entirely. To add to Metro's original point, the Apple keyboard commands are much more complex than Window's based keyboard commands. The three meta-keys (⌘, option and control) are sometimes combined with the shift modifier to create shortcut string monstrosities such as ctrl+cmd+shift+3 (screenshot to the clipboard).
eh.gif
What I was getting at, without using many words, is that one could argue either way. You get used to using shortcuts for either operating system. Thus, preference. PS: The OP better ring up Apple and get his new computer replaced with the new iMac that was released today! If I recall, Apple gives a 1 or 2 week window for exchanges when this occurs.

turboman808

Reaction score
Actually you guys are wrong. Like I said I prefer windows, but apple does have an advantage for graphic design. MacBook pros have consistently been shown to process/render Photoshop functions faster at equivalent or even slower processor speeds. Just saying.

Hands down mac is better for video editing. Final Cut has just jumped ahead in leaps and bounds. It's just very expensive and I have edited in Vegas for 10 years now and it would be a big leap to switch my entire office based around vegas over to final cut.

I have thought about getting a mac just for my higher end edits but it would eat up all my pay for one project.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Isn't the question "what works best for 'you'?

No, I have not had a job that required computer use. I am not a scientist, mathematician or a number cruncher for a corporation. I have been a tailor since I was 17 and I am now 56. That is all I have ever done.
Before buying my first computer in 95' I did some research and decided Macs were better suited for me. They were easier to use and understand for the way I am wired and my needs. I am not one to invest time or endure the frustrations of learning an operating system and macs have been effortless in that area for me. Since OSX the computers I use have never crashed or frozen once. Support is very accessible should I need it. There are 2 Apple stores within 10 miles of my home, 6 blocks from my office and 2 stores within 5miles from my workroom in Dallas. Before that I used boutique type Mac dealers for buying, servicing and support. Never had to deal with phone or online support or going to a big box store for help. I really have had no major issues to speak of in 15 years.

The aesthetic of their products is appealing and good design and build quality are worth the money, IMO.

With the ipad I am able to keep all my clients measurements, orders and invoicing in one device which I did on my laptop but it is the form factor that makes the difference. It is no bigger than a daytimer and can slip into a case without taking room or adding weight. I have 3G internet access wherever I am and can check cloth availability, send cloth orders, correspondence, etc., while at a clients office or anywhere on the road. Using a laptop in this way was cumbersome and not as efficient. I do not need to pay for internet access using the ipad. It is a great device for my needs. Except for accounting software, I can do everything for my business on the ipad.

I think the advantage for Apple is that they produce every aspect of the user experience. Hardware and software work seamlessly together. Now they develop their own chips. They don't have to factor in compatibility issues with other products.

I don't know what the pc experience is like but Apple has served my needs well. Whatever shortcomings there are to macs, I can live with them.
It just appeals to some people more than others.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Fair enough. I can't argue with that.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spencers
eh.gif
PS: The OP better ring up Apple and get his new computer replaced with the new iMac that was released today! If I recall, Apple gives a 1 or 2 week window for exchanges when this occurs.

Keep an eye on the MacRumors Buyer Guide. They chart product cycles. Days since last upgrade and advise you where you are in the product cycle. Apple is somewhat consistent. New products in Spring, iphone June, imacs, laptops before school starts, ipods or gift type items late fall as holiday shopping ramps up. This isn't a strict schedule but is common to most of their products.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics