1 week after owning my first Mac in a decade

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by SField, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

lol @ hate

LOVE my 27" Core i7.

2. milosz

milosz Senior member

Why his statement is well-constructed: He stated his past experience with both machines, and he stated his conclusion drawn from past experiences. He explained his own bias towards the keyboard, and hence his disposition towards PCs.

A pair of unfounded statements is not a well-constructed argument.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Yeah, if you don't need it for numbers stuff then it is definitely more stable.

This is BS. Maybe compared to windows XP, but definitely not compared to 7. I've run it on several machines and never had it crash under normal circumstances. The one thing that brings it down is a serial to usb adapter that i need for connecting to routers that never had proper drivers published for it under the new OSes (need to get a new one but keep forgetting).

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I thought Boxee boxes weren't available yet... Can you download from torrents directly on a Boxee system?
    I think they're out in November but you can easily boot it onto an Xbox and get the same functionality. Yes, they can snag torrents. So can XBMC.

5. haganah

haganah Senior member

Just an FYI, once you get used to using excel on a pc, it's difficult to leave. Everything from the shortcuts to the layout of the keyboard to getting help from others is just different.

I like my mac very much, but I want to punch a hole in it every fricking time I open a spreadsheet on it.

As an aside, I use an old version of excel on both my work pc and home mac and I've heard both have improved greatly and the new version that's going to be released for the mac is supposed to be great.

6. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

This is BS. Maybe compared to windows XP, but definitely not compared to 7. I've run it on several machines and never had it crash under normal circumstances. The one thing that brings it down is a serial to usb adapter that i need for connecting to routers that never had proper drivers published for it under the new OSes (need to get a new one but keep forgetting).

Not disagreeing. I've downgraded all my computers to XP. Haven't logged more than 5 total hours on 7/Vista. It was a painful 5 hours.

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I am watching intently for any sign of weakness. Don't be mistaken in thinking I'm not around. I was summoned.

8. unjung

unjung Senior member

The idea that Macs have retained any sort of advantage for design/desktop publishing is a ridiculous notion that has somehow survived from sometime around 1987.

9. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Well, there's a work-around/substitute for right-click, which isn't quite the same thing.
    It's the mac symbol key + click, if I'm not mistaken.

"Macs don't have right-click" jokes are right there with "soccer players like to dive." Even Seinfeld thinks you're dated.

I've been using Logitech trackballs (which not only have right buttons but scroll wheels!) since the G4 Quicksilver tower I bought in 2001.

So you use a non-mac mouse? Example fail.

Do people lose their sense of humour after purchasing a Mac?
    Seems like it. They also need to start threads to defend their purchases; it's very weird.
    Not disagreeing. I've downgraded all my computers to XP. Haven't logged more than 5 total hours on 7/Vista. It was a painful 5 hours.
    Windows 7 has nothing in common with Vista. The latter was a nightmare. The former has been a godsend.
    The idea that Macs have retained any sort of advantage for design/desktop publishing is a ridiculous notion that has somehow survived from sometime around 1987.
    True, now the myth persists because artsy, hipster types who work in graphic design favour a computer that nourishes their anti-establishment fantasies and whose marketing department tells them how creative they are.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Well, there's a work-around/substitute for right-click, which isn't quite the same thing.

No. You can right click on a Mac like you can on a Win machine.

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

11. holymadness

Ah yes, the magic mouse that came out a whole 8 months ago.

Plus it doesn't work with non-leopard versions of Mac OS (which in turn can't be installed on macs without Intel chipsets), so older mac owners are screwed. Hooray compatibility. Hooray plug and play. So much better than a PC: everything works if you upgrade your entire system every 2 years.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I just happen to post the first thing that came to my mind that would be an easily explanation. Mac has had right click for quite a while now. Wether people know it or not, does not change the facts.

13. holymadness

Can this right-click?

[​IMG]

14. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Can this right-click?

[​IMG]

There are some macs at my new job. I used one of those things yesteraday. It's horrible.

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Plus it doesn't work with non-leopard versions of OSX (which in turn can't be installed on macs without Intel chipsets), so older mac owners are screwed. Hooray compatibility. Hooray plug and play. So much better than a PC: everything works if you upgrade your entire system every 2 years.

well theres the mighty mouse which came out 2005. it has a right click. you just press down on the right side while clicking.

i've been using mine (blue tooth version) since 2007. bought it for $15 off ebay.

you can actually program it to however you want it to work. i just use the normal left and right clicks.

[​IMG]

the laptop version trackpad version of right click (two fingers then click) is actually something that is so simple it should be adopted as an option by all laptops.