• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 week after owning my first Mac in a decade

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
non-existent statistics are non-existent bro.

Philosophy, rather than hard science, seems to be your area of expertise. Plabro. Socbrotes
fight[1].gif

What's non-existent about his stats? You could easily Google the numbers or read any magazine on computers. Apple makes up 6% of the computer market - meaning 94% of the user market is running PCs.

Apple is not a successful computer company, they're a successful consumer electronics company, more analogous to Sony than Microsoft or Dell. The current high profile they have comes from phones and music/video playback devices - they've invented the Sony Walkman of the 21st century,and they've created a revenue stream by becoming content providers for the devices with iTunes. The company has made no real progress in the pc market throughout its existence.

The small bump in popularity we're seeing now has to do with fans of their consumer electronics buying Macs for compatibility and ease of set-up and that's not a lot of people. (Sony has a similar scheme with their VAIO line, saying that their digitical cameras and what-not integrate better with their laptops.)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Been waiting for this, will order the 27"

Me too. What do you use on the iPad to keep track of your customers' measurements? One of the iWork apps?

Weirdly, I'm kind of excited about the battery charger. I already have a dozen rechargeables in circulation for all the wireless devices, but the charger leaves a bit to be desired. The trackpad looks cool, too.

--Andre

hamish5178

Reaction score
If your view of the issue is so incredibly one-sided that you say that Apple has made "no real progress" in the computer market, than what's the point of even trying to have a discussion?

I love OSX. FOR ME it is much more efficient, organized, and easy to use than Windows. Does this make me an idiot?

My problem with what metro said was that he didn't back it up at all. "Macs are not good at numbers" is not a statistic, fact, or even an argument. It is an opinion.

If someone said "For my purposes, using X program, macs really suck" that would make sense.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If your view of the issue is so incredibly one-sided that you say that Apple has made "no real progress" in the computer market, than what's the point of even trying to have a discussion?

I love OSX. FOR ME it is much more efficient, organized, and easy to use than Windows. Does this make me an idiot?

My problem with what metro said was that he didn't back it up at all. "Macs are not good at numbers" is not a statistic, fact, or even an argument. It is an opinion.

If someone said "For my purposes, using X program, macs really suck" that would make sense.

For my purposes, using Excel in any capacity whatsoever, Macs really suck.

epb

Reaction score

I agree. If you think going from 5% to 6% of the personal computer market in 26 years is "real progress," there is no point to discussing this.

hamish5178

Reaction score
There's more to it than economics. What about the features like expose that windows has copied?
obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

Mauby

Reaction score
I'm shocked that SField's Mac thread turned into a Mac vs. PC flamewar. Would have never seen that coming.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I was annoyed by the fact that he never used a Windows machine (as in wtf, has the kid never actually had a job?). I was also annoyed that he thought the iPad was the greatest invention in history, while in actuality it is a well-hyped joke.

I am pretty impartial when it comes to Apple vs. Microsoft. I admit I side with Windows. But in this thread alone I've sung the praises of Macs for graphic design and mouse-based computer use. On top of that, I think the iPhone is the best phone on the market (once jailbroken). On the flip side, I think the iPad is a steaming pile of horse ****, and I think that Apple/Steve Jobs are arrogant assholes who annoy me to no end. I have tried both Windows and Mac (I spent $2000 of my own cash for a Macbook Pro) and opted for the Windows machine.

It's just the fanboys who have "never used Windows" (how the **** is that possible, it's like saying you've never heard of Michael Jordan) and think the over-hyped, glorified over-sized and impractical iPad is the greatest thing since sliced bread that rub me the wrong way.

Despos isn't a kid and I'm pretty sure he's the most respected tailor in Chicago.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spencers
PS: The OP better ring up Apple and get his new computer replaced with the new iMac that was released today! If I recall, Apple gives a 1 or 2 week window for exchanges when this occurs.

Is this true?

CMJTperry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
I'm shocked that SField's Mac thread turned into a Mac vs. PC flamewar. Would have never seen that coming.

I know, happens every time.
rimshot.gif

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Is this true?

Yes. My dad bought a PowerPC iMac a few weeks, maybe a month right before the new Intel Macs came out, and they agreed to exchange it. We were too lazy, though.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
So you use a non-mac mouse? Example fail.

Yes, I use a non-Mac mouse that's fully functional in OS X (and has been for 10 years). Which means that "mac mice" (ie mice used with Macs) can right-click.

If you meant that Apple-branded mice (from a half-decade ago) can't right-click, you should have said that.

runner-guy

Reaction score
I purchased an iMac about 2 years ago and I will never, ever go back to a PC. What pissed me off the most about Windows was having to install stupid drivers almost every time a new peripheral was installed. With my Mac, no matter what brand of peripheral I connect works immediately with no problems. The one thing I hated about my Mac which was mentioned earlier was the mouse that came with it, which was a total piece of crap. Once I bought my wireless Logitech everything was good. Yes Steve Jobs is an asshole and Macs are way more expensive on average, but they're still worth it IMO.

daft

Reaction score
Windows 7 automatically updates and installs most hardware drivers now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics