• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in tech - I interview people wearing a T shirt. When we used to go into the office I would get comments on my clothes a lot, especially the bunny parka or SLP chain boots.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My law firm had moved to "Valley casual" years before the pandemic. No sweats or tank tops or flip flops, but otherwise causal dress in the office was fine. Suits or sport coat and tie for client meetings. I was the weirdo holdout still wearing sport coats and trousers with no tie in the office because I liked it and wanted to get some use from all my nice stuff. So, it wouldn't really be possible for my office to change.

What I have observed is client dress getting more casual as they return to the office. Executive management is moving toward jeans and a logo polo or flannel type shirt, whereas before they had worn wool trousers and chinos and a jacket of some kind.

My best guess is that guys going back to the office will be thinking in terms of polo/casual shirt, jeans/5-pocket, and sneakers/casual shoes. Maybe a casual jacket or layer.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe I’m in the minority here but I don’t see these changes as negative. I think people should be permitted to wear whatever they feel comfortable in as an expression of themselves and their personality. I care far more about the productivity of the work and their happiness in the organization, than how they look doing it

Silentb0b

Reaction score
Maybe I’m in the minority here but I don’t see these changes as negative. I think people should be permitted to wear whatever they feel comfortable in as an expression of themselves and their personality. I care far more about the productivity of the work and their happiness in the organization, than how they look doing it
I do agree with you 100% and actually enabled a "wear whatever you want" dresscode in my own company - to horrifying results, sadly. I had to stop that when one guy went to an important customer meeting wearing sandals, socks, shorts and two bright colored polo shirts on top of each other with the collars popped (said customer is suit and tie mandatory on the other hand). Now we're business casual with a lot of freedom and leeway in all directions but we do have some no-go rules.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't mean to unleash the culture wars with my comment about the guy wearing a hoodie. I don't conflate dress with quality of work or moral standing and mostly just asked to make him uncomfortable because sometimes I like to be a dick. That said, maybe dress for your day includes your interview day. Let's move on to spring drops- What is the next 'terry cloth polo' or 'camp collar shirt' waiting out there on the horizon?

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of interviews, I've watched my wife interview quite a few people on zm during the pandemic and it really is about power dynamic. Younger guys who want the job will put on a dress shirt for a starter salary and senior guys who've been around the block will show up in a gym t shirt for a 350k position because he knows 5 other companies will at least match the offer just based on demand. This is in tech so obviously not applicable elsewhere but very interesting to see how the wadrobe shows who is more in control.

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree with this as well. For someone who is not in a management/supervisory position, I find that when I try to express myself or my happiness through dress, even if just a little tweak from the normal office fashion culture, people question my sanity or mood lol. I'd much rather they just let it be or understand that I like what I wear because I like it and it makes me happy :)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re a professional, you should dress like one. What does that mean? I think your industry, level, manager expectations, and societal norms are instructive.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @gdl203 thanks for the Instagram updates. Are you picking up any new brands or new accessories for next AW?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads