• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You know, I would love to wear the SW&D style,
and would certainly wear it if I lived in the Northeast, California, etc. I actually think it is really fun. But at least where I live, it really is just not "socially acceptable." I live in a bastion of conservatism. And considering my profession, aspirations within the community, etc., I often think it is easier and more professional, at least in this point of my life, to... fit in. I work in the oil and gas industry, which is incredibly conservative, and frequently see people I work with at the grocery store, church, etc. I would love to dress more... assertively. But I would not feel comfortable, and there are certain expectations for me, as an employee.

The vast majority of males between the ages of 20-60 wears either: (1) Columbia fishing shirt and jeans, with boat shoes or boots, (2) khakis or jeans and a button-down / polo, from either Vineyard Vines, Southern Marsh, Southern Tide, etc., (3) a button-down or polo and shorts. I try to dress the way I want, without dressing in a way that people would call me a carpetbagger.

Weekends, nights, off days and vacays?

So there's a joke in here somewhere... Pants... Dropping... Something.

The new SS ish is full of panty droppers!

THEY ARE NOT EVEN INSIDE THE AMURRICAN TERRITORY YET!!!

(apparently, next Schneider shipment is leaving Antwerp today... )

Make it go faster.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm happy I chose not to get into the traditional energy industry after college. Could've ended up at Schlumberger... or Cheveron's "green tech".

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You know, I would love to wear the SW&D style, and would certainly wear it if I lived in the Northeast, California, etc. I actually think it is really fun. But at least where I live, it really is just not "socially acceptable." I live in a bastion of conservatism. And considering my profession, aspirations within the community, etc., I often think it is easier and more professional, at least in this point of my life, to... fit in. I work in the oil and gas industry, which is incredibly conservative, and frequently see people I work with at the grocery store, church, etc. I would love to dress more... assertively. But I would not feel comfortable, and there are certain expectations for me, as an employee.

The vast majority of males between the ages of 20-60 wears either: (1) Columbia fishing shirt and jeans, with boat shoes or boots, (2) khakis or jeans and a button-down / polo, from either Vineyard Vines, Southern Marsh, Southern Tide, etc., (3) a button-down or polo and shorts. I try to dress the way I want, without dressing in a way that people would call me a carpetbagger.

I sympathize with this, but FWIW, I don't think black wool trousers with that shirt, black derbies, and a slightly more interesting coat would look too weird. Certainly not weirder than walking around with a tie and pocket square everywhere, which is what a lot of CMers do.

Obviously all up to taste, but just think a lot of SWD is tamer than most people think.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm happy I chose not to get into the traditional energy industry after college. Could've ended up at Schlumberger... or Cheveron's "green tech".

I do O&G title examination, which is about as conservative as it gets.

I sympathize with this, but FWIW, I don't think black wool trousers with that shirt, black derbies, and a slightly more interesting coat would look too weird. Certainly not weirder than walking around with a tie and pocket square everywhere, which is what a lot of CMers do.

Obviously all up to taste, but just think a lot of SWD is tamer than most people think.

FWIW, I also do not wear a tie and pocket square everywhere for the same reason. I probably go against the SF grain though. I try to work within the confines of what is deemed "normal." So my opinion on these matters is definitely framed by the paradigm I work within.

I really enjoy tame SW&D. I could see myself wearing that shirt, dark indigo jeans, and butteros, and maybe throw on my incoming frozen waves jacket, etc. I would not consider that full SW&D. I guess tame SW&D.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, some SWD yes, but some SWD definitely not tamer. Still awesome, but far from tame.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I really enjoy tame SW&D. I could see myself wearing that shirt, dark indigo jeans, and butteros, and maybe throw on my incoming frozen waves jacket, etc. I would not consider that full SW&D. I guess tame SW&D.

I'd consider that SW&D. The nice thing about that side of the forum is that there aren't as many defined "looks" or prescriptions, which is often what makes things interesting. Greg used to post things very much in the line of what you described, and IMO, he was one of the board's best posters.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dadstyle with a twist
00ae.png

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

"Schlumberger" sounds like the name of a character from Animal House or Stripes.

"Schlumberger? Schlumberger? That guy still owes me money!"

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately, their reach is much more pervasive and sinister. $140 billion market share or so and growing (acquisitions to exploit the fracking boom).

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do O&G title examination, which is about as conservative as it gets.
FWIW, I also do not wear a tie and pocket square everywhere for the same reason. I probably go against the SF grain though. I try to work within the confines of what is deemed "normal." So my opinion on these matters is definitely framed by the paradigm I work within.

I think that while you can certainly do as suggested, you could easily substitute a few things, and be well within the confines of "normal", if you so choose. For example, if you substituted the jeans for charcoal pants (I can easily see something either Schneider or Engineered Garments working very well) that are somewhat roomy in the seat and thighs, but taper down significantly (there are a fair number of examples in Engineered Garments this year), and then swap out the Butteros for, say, a pair of McKinlay chukkas in grey or in sand, and then throwing either a slightly boxy "work" jacket in a lighter grey flannel, and you would probably look perfectly fine, in oil country, and in New York. You probably would feel out of place wearing the slim, cropped, trousers and chunky derbies that often accompany this look, but there is no need to go that direction either.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something old, something new

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not many people know this, but this was actually the original name for the store before it became No Man Walks Alone.

It is still under consideration and there is a serious boardroom battle around this sensitive topic. Pray that I don't get ousted in the process of this nasty fight

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingjames771