• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

£37.50 for a haircut? Are you $#itting me???

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really it doesn't look any different than what I normally get. I'm told that it will last six weeks instead of the 4 weeks that my usual cut does, but by the time that I fork out another 10 for tip, we are talking almost 3X what I would normally pay!!! ITS NEARLY $100 for a freaking cut and wash!!!

They did give me a couple of beers while they were cutting my hair. I guess that dulls the impact of the bill

K

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, the beers are £20 already. Quit bitching.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Dude, the beers are £20 already. Quit bitching.

Its next door to a Sam Smiths pub, so £20 would get me like 8 pints...

So I could have had my normal cut, 8 pints, and had a tenner left for the cab for what I paid for today's cut

K

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Its next door to a Sam Smiths pub, so £20 would get me like 8 pints...

So I could have had my normal cut, 8 pints, and had a tenner left for the cab for what I paid for today's cut

K

Next time, have your hair cut at the pub.
teacha.gif

Bouji

Reaction score
Where did you have it cut?
Why did you tip?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
Where did you have it cut?
Why did you tip?

Place in Fitzrovia where the gf has her's cut. I tipped because... I always have in the US, and never could get a straight answer from friends in the UK as to whether to tip or not in the UK, so I do... I dont have a good reason for this.

Do you tip when getting your hair cut? Is it normal in the UK?

Originally Posted by macuser3of5
They can make your hair grow slower?
eek.gif

Haha, Well the way its cut affects the way it grows in and how long it will be until you need it cut again. Anyways, thats secondary.

Someone is prob going to pop up and say that's way less than what they pay for a cut in London.... Ehhhh

K

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Place in Fitzrovia where the gf has her's cut. I tipped because... I always have in the US, and never could get a straight answer from friends in the UK as to whether to tip or not in the UK, so I do... I dont have a good reason for this.
Yes, it's fine to tip the person who cut your hair.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Yes, it's fine to tip the person who cut your hair.

Thx. I figure its fine (most people will welcome a tip), but is it expected in the UK?

I don't tip the guy in the pub, but a 'service charge' is included in the bill in many restaurants... UK tipping can be confusing, whereas in the US its easier to just overtip and know its ok.

K

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something is seriously wrong this rational.

whereas in the US its easier to just overtip and know its ok.

K

sybaritical

Reaction score
Absolute ceiling for a haircut is £25 every 4-5 weeks if it;s coming out my own pocket, beer or no beer. Plus, I'll only tip the junior and then only if they're worth it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
1) In the UK tipping is rare enough to be considered an oddity
2) A good haircut is worth it's weight in BJs if you're fashionable
3) Next time get drunk in the pub, it will lessen the feeling.

Raz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sybaritical
Absolute ceiling for a haircut is £25 every 4-5 weeks if it;s coming out my own pocket, beer or no beer. Plus, I'll only tip the junior and then only if they're worth it.

+ 1

Well what can I say
laugh.gif
hahahahahaha you are the favourite customer of those barbers now
laugh.gif
hahahhahahhahah

Sorry can't stop laughing

In UK we do give tip but not a £10 unless you are some rich person normally we tip like odd fiver as you paid £37.50 so I think the bill was about £27.50 if I was you I would have paid £30 and a thank you very much
teacha.gif

If you are happy to go back it's up to you there must be few other barbers in your area
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads