• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
Agreed. How's the video of the mirror shine on those Monmouths coming along?
tounge.gif

What video? That was your idea, not mine. You'll have to take it up with my agent.
laugh.gif
It might be worth pointing out that in the C&J video they mention that the first time you do it, it will take at least half an hour per shoe. Less the next time (they say fifteen minutes but I find it much less for subsequent polishing)

clintonf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
It often looks better when there is a more subtle transition from very shiny from not so shiny. Plus, the heel should be done as well.

I've done the quarters also, but I was too lazy to take photos.
blush.gif

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I think it's a matter of personal preference really; some seem to prefer a duller allover shine. I've only taken to mirror shines rather recently myself as I like the way it looks. I don't really have any plaintoes so that sorta takes care of that. While it's easy to use the cap(toe) to delineate(?) the area to be mirrored, some apply this finish only to the very tip of the toe area, whether on caps, wingtips or plaintoes.

In my last picture, I've got two styles without caps and I think I've got the area correct.

I was just wondering what people thought in general.

Cheers

Clint

clintonf

Reaction score
It might be worth pointing out that in the C&J video they mention that the first time you do it, it will take at least half an hour per shoe. Less the next time (they say fifteen minutes but I find it much less for subsequent polishing)

+1

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yup, touch ups/maintenance take much less time.

Originally Posted by clintonf
In my last picture, I've got two styles without caps and I think I've got the area correct.

I think what you did with those 2 wingtips looks great. Even appears to have some of the gloss fading that jefferyd mentioned.

GanglandDandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I STILL can't get it to work. I tried this last night on a pair of my crockett and jones and I ended up with a dull dry toe that I had to deglaze and refinish because I couldn't get them to shine at all after I did what he said. I guess I used too much wax and caused buildup?

I've seen a few C&J polishing videos and they get a brilliant mirror shine all the time in the videos. I have to say this though, I've got a pair of C&J Cliffords which can't be given a mirror shine. I might have seen a few Cliffords with their toes/heel counters mirror shined but I have no idea why mine doesn't work.

Before you dismiss what I'm saying, I've got shoes from other makers which I can easily give a lovely mirror shine..reflect time on your watch kinda shine, to be exact. So it's not as if I don't know how to polish or I've never done a mirror shine before. I used Saphir wax, I've tried circling for hours when I first got the shoes..trust me. In the end, I got Saphir cream and gave it a mediocre polish..enough to reflect slightly in the sun but not mirror shine standards.

Some of you might be shocked because you're able to give your C&J-s perfect mirror shines but I just had to chip in here, letting patrickBOOTH know that I've had the exact same problem (dull dry toebox and heel counter). Does anyone know why the leather on some C&J-s just do not take well to wax? Shocking but...inferior leather, maybe?
plain.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lear

Reaction score
Wow Clintonf (I won't quote the pics again), looks like you really listened during the advanced mirror polishing class. It almost brings a tear to my eye. Very nice indeed.

Lear

clintonf

Reaction score
Thank you. I've been trying for some time now to achieve a high gloss shine look and it's not until Wes' post that it finally came together.

I have had advice from some professional finishers as well as watch several videos. However, Wes' post did the trick.

BTW, I used Saphir (Black tin - Medaille D'or) .

Although I have got Kiwi and even Woly for hard to find colours.

Originally Posted by Lear
Wow Clintonf (I won't quote the pics again), looks like you really listened during the advanced mirror polishing class. It almost brings a tear to my eye. Very nice indeed.

Lear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads