• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW - i am not too bummed about the stud. It's definitely something that would have happened in time anyways. I mentioned it only to show that another one of the recent ItsHide soles has had (minor) issues.

I would be pissed after 1 day of wear. Doesn't matter that it will eventually happen in a few months to years. That's like saying a button on my shirt came off the first time I wore it. It's no big deal, it would have happened after a few months of wearing it. You paid for "quality" and you should expect quality.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would be pissed after 1 day of wear. Doesn't matter that it will eventually happen in a few months to years. That's like saying a button on my shirt came off the first time I wore it. It's no big deal, it would have happened after a few months of wearing it. You paid for "quality" and you should expect quality.
according to the pictures I don't even see an issue. It does not look like any of the studs broke off, just some initial wear.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

according to the pictures I don't even see an issue. It does not look like any of the studs broke off, just some initial wear.
+1. This is like wearing new leather-soled shoes outdoors and being upset that the bottoms got "scuffed", then thinking the soles are defective. Those studs are not totally flush nor are the remotely indestructible. The picture shows wear that is completely ordinary. Not trying to attack anybody but when people make these commentts they are (almost certainly unintentionally) casting aspersions on a brand. I don't like seeing that where it isn't warranted. There are other threads where real defects merit some real criticism...

Last edited:

Diabolical

Reaction score
+1. This is like wearing new leather-soled shoes outdoors and being upset that the bottoms got "scuffed", then thinking the soles are defective. Those studs are not totally flush nor are the remotely indestructible. The picture shows wear that is completely ordinary. Not trying to attack anybody but when people make these commentts they are (almost certainly unintentionally) casting aspersions on a brand. I don't like seeing that where it isn't warranted. There are other threads where real defects merit some real criticism...
Seeing as the issue is with the sole which is a 3rd party component, I don't think anyone is criticizing Viberg when they question these issue with the Itshide sole.

Seeing as these are supposed to be identical to Dainite soles, do you think that this could potentially be an issue if the Dainite soles don't exhibit the same sort of "wearing" after a couple of days?

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I suppose in theory. Anecdotally. I've had Dainite and those nubs show wear quickly and then "level off" -- they wear down a little and then stay more or less constant, with more wear (in my case at least) visible at toe and heel.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing as the issue is with the sole which is a 3rd party component, I don't think anyone is criticizing Viberg when they question these issue with the Itshide sole.

Seeing as these are supposed to be identical to Dainite soles, do you think that this could potentially be an issue if the Dainite soles don't exhibit the same sort of "wearing" after a couple of days?

Please lets not turn this into some of the other recent QC discussions that have overwhelmed several other threads.

I think that you are bringing up a separate point. RF and Buda are merely stating that there does not seem to been any issue with the rubber stud on the photo of the Navy shell sole that was most recently shown. It does not appear they are suggesting that the itshide sole that cracked was normal, that one has been discussed and Viberg/Guy is remedying the situation, which is more comforting than knowing that I have Dainite, Itshide or Stainless Steel on the sole of my shoe.

It is certainly fair to discuss these issues, and I dont think anyone is suggesting that we just become sycophantic fools to one brand or another. Each time there is a legit issue with the soles it seems clear from my perspective that Viberg is taking note, and will stand behind their product if it is not up to par and if they determine that there is an issue I'm sure they would consider changing suppliers.

*From a logic standpoint only: Criticism of the sole regardless of third party construction or direct Viberg construction would still be a criticism because they are the ones that have chosen to put that product on the sole of their product.

solographik

Reaction score
I've edited my original post to remove the part about the worn down nub. seems to have spawned a type of discussion tht I had no intent on doing.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brown looks like a golden color. Is it closer to the brown CXL service boots on the site?

Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. -- Rumi

Jacket: 36S/38S.
Shoes: 7.5EE-8.5D.

solographik

Reaction score
I am a little discouraged. I think I probably should have sized down 1/2 from my Barrie size on the new navy shell boots.

Bkotsko - how much extra room do you have? I went with my Barrie size as well and it's a a little roomier than I'd like as well. However, tightening the laces and wearing thicker socks seems to have taken care of most of the problem.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just buy those thin foam inserts for the front of the foot. It should add just enough space. I have a high instep and that solved my problems. 1/2 size down was the way to go for me. It's wider than a Barrie D I think.

Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder. -- Rumi

Jacket: 36S/38S.
Shoes: 7.5EE-8.5D.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bkotsko - how much extra room do you have? I went with my Barrie size as well and it's a a little roomier than I'd like as well. However, tightening the laces and wearing thicker socks seems to have taken care of most of the problem.
The ankle and instep are great, but the toes don't fill the volume.

sorry to hear that. Did you get it in 8.5?
I did get 8.5.
I am Barrie 8.5D or 8E, depending on the particular shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics