• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
I left a comment on the Viberg blog noting that there are several members here interested in these boots (there was a discussion about them on the Rancourt thread).

Brett Viberg responded there that, for now, these would have to be obtained through a direct order, and he suggested that I inquire via private message for further info.

Mailed him back today about whether this leather is currently available and if it would be possible to do a group order here on SF. Haven't heard back yet, but will post any new info here.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Sorry, should have mentioned the 2 sources were these boots were discovered: Horween and Viberg blogs.

http://horween.wordpress.com/2012/09/20/boondockers/

http://vibergboot.wordpress.com/2012/09/27/horween-boondocker-leather/

It was historically called "Marine Field", but I do not know if Horween has another name in the works for a potential release? The leather is indeed (natural) CXL "rough-side-out", but where "the back side of the leather is treated to give it a nice, level knap" in order that "the boots could be left unlined while still having a finished, comfortable medium to contact the foot. This was particularly advantageous in North Africa, where the troops could up-end their boots to easily empty them of sand, thus greatly reducing blisters and increasing comfort."

Not sure, but perhaps the leather on the tongue is iced mocha CXL?

Last edited:

Kashiwa

Reaction score
I've been discussing a "Boondocker" boot in the "Marine Field Shoe" reverse CXL leather with Viberg. They've indicated that we could receive around a 10% discount for a group order of 10 or more pairs. Each boot would need to be built to the exact same specs. If it's not possible to get ten guys together, the leather is still available for individual custom orders (price around $665).

Kashiwa

Reaction score
We could do a commando sole. We could do a totally different boot. The catch is, whatever we do: any changes would have to be agreed upon by 10 guys.

Personally, I would love to see a commando sole on this boot (i.e. Viberg 1950's service boot).

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Start a thread dedicated to pulling together a group purchase. Link it here, rancourt, and wherever else would be relevant. Depending on when you need the money and final configuration, I'd be in :slayer:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've been trading emails with them also, just haven't had the time to measure my feet for my pair.. will wait a bit to see if a possible group buy comes to fruition. I'm in for a pair that looks like the pic posted, possibly still in if commando sole is incorporated instead.

herrmj

Reaction score
I might be interested in that boondocker special order Kashiwa, depending on timing/funds.
Need to take a ferry up to Victoria some time and check out the shop.

fungz0r

Reaction score
I might be potentially interested as well. I live just a ferry ride away from viberg as well

Kashiwa

Reaction score
Well we've had at least 7 guys express interest in the boot, so I think I'll start up a separate thread. Feel free to broadcast it around.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are killing me. I may have to sell some Aldens and get in on this. How does sizing run on Viberg?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads