• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

acconrad

Reaction score
- No cummerbund or waistcoat
- Notch lapels
+++++ Child

As we can see from this scoring, you are indeed stylish

ClothGolem

Reaction score
- No cummerbund or waistcoat
- Notch lapels
+++++ Child

As we can see from this scoring, you are indeed stylish
Thanks!

The cummerband is definitely there. I might loose points for its position, though.

As for the notched lapels: I am aware of the "sin". My next commission is pointy.
BTW, my son does have peak lapels.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one for those more experienced with black tie than I am. I'm looking to have a new bespoke tuxedo made by a local tailor. I'm considering grosgrain for the (peak) lapels, but the tailor told me that if I go with grosgrain, he strongly advises against a grosgrain stripe (galon?) along the trouser leg. He insisted that if they cut the grosgrain that narrowly, it becomes difficult to keep the trouser leg neat/flat. I was in a bit of a rush -- we were discussing this on the phone -- but I didn't fully understand what he was getting at. And I have seen many examples here (and elsewhere) of grosgrain stripes.

Any thoughts about how to proceed? I don't want to ask my tailor to do something he's uncomfortable doing, and so perhaps I should opt for satin (his recommendation). @Despos, do you have any idea what he's worried about?
I have several pairs of trousers with a grosgrain stripe down the outside of the trouser leg. None of them have any issues, as far as I can tell. There is nothing visibly wrong, which equates to nothing wrong, in my mind.

Find a different tailor.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
Here's one for those more experienced with black tie than I am. I'm looking to have a new bespoke tuxedo made by a local tailor. I'm considering grosgrain for the (peak) lapels, but the tailor told me that if I go with grosgrain, he strongly advises against a grosgrain stripe (galon?) along the trouser leg. He insisted that if they cut the grosgrain that narrowly, it becomes difficult to keep the trouser leg neat/flat. I was in a bit of a rush -- we were discussing this on the phone -- but I didn't fully understand what he was getting at. And I have seen many examples here (and elsewhere) of grosgrain stripes.

Any thoughts about how to proceed? I don't want to ask my tailor to do something he's uncomfortable doing, and so perhaps I should opt for satin (his recommendation). @Despos, do you have any idea what he's worried about?
The tailor who made my tuxedo had similar concerns and, additionally, wasn’t sure if the ribbing should be horizontal or diagonal. In spite of their recommendation to not use grosgrain, I asked them to do their best and it worked out just fine. No issues that I can see.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be sailing on the Queen Mary 2, embarking this coming Sunday afternoon for Southampton. As is the custom with Cunard, there are two "gala" evenings, for which the passengers are strongly encouraged to dress in their finest. The evenings are themed - the first, next Monday evening, is themed "red and gold", the second, May 10th, is themed "masquerade". Attached please find samplings of what I propose to wear for both occasions. Note that the red striped cummerbund in the first photo is actually for my fellow passenger (who needed something red and gold) , a resident of the UK who is returning home via the QM2, whereas I am hightailing it back to NYC two days after we land in Southampton.

IMG_1156.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For better or worse, I have the instincts of a magpie - I am always attracted to the shiny and colorful. During the pandemic, when stores were just reopening (some three and a half years ago), I started my retail relationship with The Persian Shop in NYC with the purchase of a pair of pale blue-green topaz cufflinks, set in sterling silver. I am rather fond of them, even if they are a bit "blingy".

I recently had the inspiration to have studs made to match the original cufflinks, and have just taken delivery of them this afternoon. The results are as below. When next I will have a formal occasion on which to wear them remains a question, though I am loathe to travel with them, at least for their first outing, so they shall not be joining me on the Queen Mary 2 this weekend.

In any case, my newest "toys".

PXL_20240501_195057518.MP.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be sailing on the Queen Mary 2, embarking this coming Sunday afternoon for Southampton. As is the custom with Cunard, there are two "gala" evenings, for which the passengers are strongly encouraged to dress in their finest. The evenings are themed - the first, next Monday evening, is themed "red and gold", the second, May 10th, is themed "masquerade". Attached please find samplings of what I propose to wear for both occasions. Note that the red striped cummerbund in the first photo is actually for my fellow passenger (who needed something red and gold) , a resident of the UK who is returning home via the QM2, whereas I am hightailing it back to NYC two days after we land in Southampton.

View attachment 2176605 View attachment 2176607
Wow! What a great trip. I have long harbored an ambition to do an Atlantic crossing, preferably on the QM2.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! What a great trip. I have long harbored an ambition to do an Atlantic crossing, preferably on the QM2.

I believe that the QM2 is the only ship that does regular transatlantic crossings between NYC and Southampton. I fully expect to take a lot of photos of the experience, a selection of which shall be posted, and you and your lovely wife would certainly improve the style factor, greatly, of whatever crossing you make

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that the QM2 is the only ship that does regular transatlantic crossings between NYC and Southampton. I fully expect to take a lot of photos of the experience, a selection of which shall be posted, and you and your lovely wife would certainly improve the style factor, greatly, of whatever crossing you make
That is very kind of you! And I shall look forward to the photos and your impressions of the voyage.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m all for inventive spins on black tie, but does it really count as black tie if the eponymous black tie is missing in the first place?
True enough, but there's no hard rule that you can't use your black tie gear for non black tie affairs. If you own it, might as well put it to use and have some fun.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Fish