• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is correct formalwear for a solemn evening Church service?

Reaction score
Many of our Roman Catholic friends here in London have just concluded a lengthy, formal evening Church service - the Solemn Pontifical Vigil Mass of Easter, which ran from 20:30 to 23:00 at Westminster Cathedral. Traditionally, full morning dress was the correct clothing for Easter Mass in London, so a staunch sartorial traditionalist will accept that for the Solemn Pontifical Vigil Mass, some kind of formal clothing is in order. But we also know both white and black tie outfits are inappropriate for wearing in Church, due to their louche associations: these are clothes for drinking, dancing, gambling and seduction, and not worship.

This leaves us with a question: what is the appropriate formal clothing for the most solemn of Church services in the evening? Is it simply white tie - meaning I am wrong about white tie being party clothing? Alternatively, is there no extant formal dress code for this situation? What if I wore a black cutaway coat (or frock coat) with matching black trousers and waistcoat for Church services after 18:00? What if I wore a black lounge jacket with striped trousers and an odd vest for Church in the morning, and wore the same jacket with matching black trousers and waistcoat for Church in the evening? I feel I may have discovered a consistent use case for the black lounge suit suit.

This is a question of more than theoretical interest to me, since I am Russian Orthodox: we very frequently worship in the evening, and so once I hit the lottery, I will bespeak one of the above options...

Reaction score
One more option I did not mention would be to wear regular morning clothing even to evening Church services. I could conceive of making this exception specifically for Easter, because the Easter service often ends as the sun rises, and because the events commemorated on Easter occurred in the early morning, but it seems quite incorrect for any other day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads