• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
There has been a general deterioration of the tone and propriety of this forum, and it has to stop now.

Please remember that this is a public forum and there are women present - don't post anything that you wouldn't say in mixed company at, say, your favorite bar. Let's try to get this place back on track, okay?

I agree wholeheartedly!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
There has been a general deterioration of the tone and propriety of this forum, and it has to stop now. The mod team and I are considering options, but for now I have squirreled a few especially egregious threads.

Please remember that this is a public forum and there are women present - don't post anything that you wouldn't say in mixed company at, say, your favorite bar. Let's try to get this place back on track, okay?

What if it's safe to assume that if I'm in the company of friends, there isn't a whole lot I WOULDN'T say?
wink.gif

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good luck [I write sincerely] in cleaning up the place.

Not sure how to do it, but hope you can.

Nipping crass threads early on is a good tactic you are using already.

Reaction score
i say you round up a group of regulators with psuedo-mod powers. just a bunch of dudes/dudettes with "delete post" buttons and "time-out" hotkeys. maybe some bowdlerizers to clean up offending posts

regulators, saddle up!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
What if it's safe to assume that if I'm in the company of friends, there isn't a whole lot I WOULDN'T say?
wink.gif

I am the same way, but this is public. When I'm in a group of friends in public, I am capable of holding back some things I could say, and I expect members here to do the same.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
There has been a general deterioration of the tone and propriety of this forum, and it has to stop now.

Not calling you out, j, but if this is how you really feel you should ban clowns like vanity straight up, not give them multiple second chances after dozens of posts intended to provoke/offend. I'll freely admit that I'm here mostly to learn from others, and most of my contributions are lame jokes, but there's a difference between the occasional risque quip and constant crudeness. Too many forums/blogs act like banning is some last resort nuclear option thing; it's not, and when it needs to be done, do it.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think j and the other mods have done a great job keeping us from totally screwing up the asylum here. And I agree things have gotten quite perverse of late; I appreciate the reality check boss. (May I keep my vanity quote sig?)

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Agree; that's why I post here, and only lurk at SuFu, for example (although another forum obsession would probably get me fired), and it's also why I'm a little puzzled by the kid gloves treatment we've been discussing for the past few pages.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, the problem is that I generally like Vanity. He is usually hilarious, says stuff that I think but don't say, and is occasionally really insightful and honest. It's just that he crosses the line into inappropriate behavior from time to time. And to be fair, I never warned him that he should check himself. So this is his warning, and I hope he can come back and keep his more offensive stuff to himself.

As anyone who's been here a long time or read the archives will know, I tend to enjoy posters that some people consider trolls, if they have some entertainment value and are generally harmless. When they become disruptive and/or cease to be funny, they get warned or kicked. Trolls that have no entertainment value or signed up just to call someone out, etc., get the permanent ban immediately.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair nuff

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Fair nuff

+1

I admire your patience, J, I would have been a bit of a tyrant (in the modern sense) if I were in your shoes
biggrin.gif

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair nuff
Boy, I backed down like a ***** from that one, huh? Didn't waste any time, either... Of course, what I meant to say is, if you weren't referring to vanity (among others) when you complained about the "general deterioration of the tone and propriety of this forum", then, uh...
confused.gif
If you find his kind of thing funny (and I admit I agree, on occasion), then wtf are you talking about? Things are deteriorating here, but you think it's a hoot?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Boy, I backed down like a ***** from that one, huh? Didn't waste any time, either...

Of course, what I meant to say is, if you weren't referring to vanity (among others) when you complained about the "general deterioration of the tone and propriety of this forum", then, uh...
confused.gif

If you find his kind of thing funny (and I admit I agree, on occasion), then wtf are you talking about? Things are deteriorating here, but you think it's a hoot?

What didn't I explain? Should I blood libel the poor bastard because he is often crass? I am giving him one more chance because I don't think he was doing it purposely (and apparently no one officially warned him), and if he doesn't behave better, he's out. (If he even comes back.)

I'm talking more about the declining civility and respect between posters than toilet humor (though we obviously need some boundaries there too). The latter, people can enjoy or avoid. The former is just deleterious to the forum environment, and has to be kept in check more vigilantly.

Keep in mind, I didn't start this forum to give myself the opportunity to boss people around, or be their parent or anything. I started it so people would have a place to talk about clothes. And that's kind of what I'd like to get back to.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
What didn't I explain? Should I blood libel the poor bastard because he is often crass? I am giving him one more chance because I don't think he was doing it purposely (and apparently no one officially warned him), and if he doesn't behave better, he's out. (If he even comes back.)

I'm talking more about the declining civility and respect between posters than toilet humor (though we obviously need some boundaries there too). The latter, people can enjoy or avoid. The former is just deleterious to the forum environment, and has to be kept in check more vigilantly.

Keep in mind, I didn't start this forum to give myself the opportunity to boss people around, or be their parent or anything. I started it so people would have a place to talk about clothes. And that's kind of what I'd like to get back to.

Yeah, you're actually quite fair. I would be a complete tyrant if the Forum was mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads