• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I once purchased an F last shell cordovan and it was too big,...

can you elaborate on this a bit? thank you

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Many do their homework on fit here but many get it wrong.
Many opinion vary here on sizing threads because people forget that slightly different feet can have big impact on sizing.
lf shoe is off 1/25 inch in some area it can cause foot problem for some man.
Doing homework will not alway get right sizing because all feet different.
General sizing advice and specific needs for specific feet is mismatch and often down to luck,
doing homework on sizing issues can still result in big failure because there many factor to include.

Understanding your feet is part of the homework.
Analysis of the feet dimensions, volume etc is part of the homework
Due dilligence is the key, understanding the shoe, the last and volume and then making a judicious decision will only minimize NOT eliminate the chances of failure.
Asking questions directly to the shoe maker and negotiating a return/exchange policy is key.I understand you have to fork out the shipping but that is minimal and pales in comparison to the joy's of experimenting and ensuing success.
Going with the premise that this is no bespoke, will make you even more happy:)

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well, as already mentioned one can do his homework. learn about the typical features of his own feet. e.g. high/low instep, wide/narrow heel/forefoot and then learn about the typical parameters of the different lasts. i agree, it takes a little time but it is no rocket science imo.
if people had the same pickiness as with the rest of their clothes it would be a no brainer. just sayin...

I posted before I read this....agree 100%

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ that I purchased a pair in the F last in shell that was bigger...

ok, once again.

bigger in what aspect? too long, too wide, to high at the instep... etc., etc.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Understanding your feet is part of the homework.
Analysis of the feet dimensions, volume etc is part of the homework
Due dilligence is the key, understanding the shoe, the last and volume and then making a judicious decision will only minimize NOT eliminate the chances of failure.
Asking questions directly to the shoe maker and negotiating a return/exchange policy is key.I understand you have to fork out the shipping but that is minimal and pales in comparison to the joy's of experimenting and ensuing success.
Going with the premise that this is no bespoke, will make you even more happy:)

very good points, bravo

Mousem40

Reaction score
Hello I'm a new member and 6 month lurker!

I knew nothing about shoes 6 months ago, but thanks to this forum I've just had 2 pair of Vass MTO delivered (after buying 2 pairs of Santoni FAMs too). So thank you!!

I'm from London, so my choices on buying Vass are either Ascot Shoes (I know the owner so can get a discount) or go direct. I decided to go direct and make a weekend of it for several reasons. I read every single post on this thread and saved all the pictures. I made a list of the 2 shoes and specific requirements I wanted, and saved the details on an email to show Mr. Kuti (Sales Manager) at the store.

The Store

As you can see the shop is tiny! Internal space maybe 17 foot by 12 foot, with steps going upstairs to the workshop.
It was very busy when I walked in on a Saturday afternoon in November.

I met Mr Kuti and told him I wanted 2 pairs of U-Last shoes.
He got me to try on some U-last Derbys to get my sizing right.They didn't have the shoes I wanted in store to try on, and he hadn't even heard of one pair I wanted. Thanks to this site I was prepared for this with pictures.

Then I had a look at the colours in store. I had a shortlist, but in real life the colours are very different to how they appear on a monitor. I had no intention of buying Shell Cordovan, but when I saw the colour and natural patina of SC - so stunning, I changed my mind and colour choices too.

My First Pair

Black U-lasted Paris Derbys, seamless back, beveled waist, single JR sole, rubber toe/heel caps, Boxcalf with shoe trees. Size 44. Price HUF 12,000 delivered

My Second Pair

Cognac U-Lasted Weymouth/Italian Oxford with U-Cap, seamless back, double to single JR sole, beveled waist (standard on double to single), rubber toe/heel caps, Shell Cordovan with shoe trees. Size 44. Price HUF 15,000 delivered

The new store opening in March just down the road

Thanks again to everyone on this thread.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, it looked like a full size bigger and in a wide width, it was specially wider, a fat mess. That's what I remember, I had to call and ask if the shoe was made in a wide width instead of a regular. even with a thick insole wasn't wearable. Maybe it was just a mistake and the shoe was made in a different size than the number inside the shoe and the box. I just sold the damn thing and eat the loss ( I did disclosure the real aprox size by the way)

I noticed the same thing exactly in my calf order. Fortunately I am often in Budapest ,so I told them to remake both shoes and the shoes are still smidgen too wide and too long. They used to make proper sizes in all their shoes, but something changed and now everything is elephantine.
My VASS from 3 years ago is more elegant and better fitting than this year VASS. I used to order 40-(40.5) now I have to go 39.0 and narrow to get anywhere close.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
My boots should be here wednesday, they will be in b&s if they don't fit which is a possibility, size 43 F last. Hopefully they fit I've been waiting a long time for them.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happy endings now
_IGP9594.jpg

These are awesome. I've been contemplating a pair on the F last (which fits me a bit better than P2).

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tbh, what is so difficult about it?

My reasons are pretty much summed up below. I know my size in EG, however there is no guarantee that this will translate to a good fit with Vass. I do not wish to purchase several pairs of shoes that don't fit properly until I can find the correct size.

It's very simple: if you are willing to buy, without prior brand knowldedge from a try-on, new RTW shoes from a remote retailer who does not accept or encourage returns, you should be prepared—without complaint and whining—to give them away or resell them at a loss. If you end up doing that, consider the experience the cost of education and move on.
If you think that shoe sizes of the type used now can give you anything but a gross sense of how the shoe will fit, you are nuts. There is simply no great way to "calibrate" your way past the simple sizing information.

As much as I wish you were wrong, I know that this is reality. Well stated.

+ 1
+ 1
These two posts articulate why I'm not willing to branch out to new brands anymore unless I try them on the store and can buy them on sight. I've paid my dues and found what works. Once you find what works stick with it. It took me a while to get there and I wouldn't have changed the journey, but people need to know what they're getting into otherwise you'll get screwed.

Seeing forum members such as yourself buying vass and then having to sell so many pairs because they do not fit correctly has really discouraged me. The fact that I wear a larger size (11.5/12E on EG 82 last) only makes this worse because I imagine that I would have a harder time reselling the shoes that dont fit properly. I can only hope that a US store will carry them again in the future, or that I have an opportunity to trime them somewhere while traveling overseas.

-LR

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seeing forum members such as yourself buying vass and then having to sell so many pairs because they do not fit correctly has really discouraged me. The fact that I wear a larger size (11.5/12E on EG 82 last) only makes this worse because I imagine that I would have a harder time reselling the shoes that dont fit properly. I can only hope that a US store will carry them again in the future, or that I have an opportunity to trime them somewhere while traveling overseas.
-LR

I hear you. Larger sizes can be even more difficult and it's good you realize that. But keep in mind that most pairs of Vass I actually have sold is simply that I don't gravitate towards the U-last anymore which was mostly what I grabbed a few years ago. A few didn't fit like the Budapest last boots I'm selling now which cuts me deep. Real deep. I tend to think that for each last from any maker there is a distinct possibility the first purchase will not work and would need to be re-sold. I was lucky on the U-last, but not so much on the others. There is no exact science and one does have to weigh the risk/reward.

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should mention though that I have VERY difficult feet to fit. My left foot is a half size bigger and has a higher instep while my right foot is a touch wider and both of my feet are around a C width. It's tough for any maker and last to get it right for me unfortunately and I've had to part with shoes from numerous different makers. Some people are easier to fit and if you are (and know you are) then at least that minimizes the risk a bit.

Part of it is also how you like your shoes to fit. Years ago I preferred them to be nice and snug and feel fitted and contoured. Now I prefer my toes to have a bit of wiggle room. Knowing your fit preferences can certainly go a long way as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads