• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's pick. Almost pristine Florsheim (McHale??) made in Canada. For the leather I would guess camel.

All Canadian made Florsheim, were manufactured McHale

Leftenant1

Reaction score
Today's pick. Almost pristine Florsheim (McHale??) made in Canada. For the leather I would guess camel.
I don’t think these are camel, likely ranch oxhide. Not sure if Florsheim by McHale ever made any shoes in camel. McHale yes, in Caravan Collection shoes but not aware of any others. These shoes look very similar to a pair of Dack’s Bond Street PTBs I have.

Dit_rich

Reaction score
I don’t think these are camel, likely ranch oxhide.
I have hard time telling camel from oxhide and elephant -). The only exotic leather I can ID with a certainty is kudu and maybe "fighting seal" (though is this case I might confuse it with "shark"). I love Dack's for actually marking the materials on the insole.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canadian made Dacks. This last is very generous so I can wear thicker wool socks.

I asked Pablo Hadarits to rebuild them to become rain shoes. I thrifted these in pretty rough shape. But I have a hard time finding Canadian made shoes in my size (8.5F, 8.5G, 8.5H, and sometimes 9F). So whenever I find a pair that fits, and I like, I'll have them rebuilt.

Pablo swapped in new welts that were dyed brown for a casual look. The soles are Vibram Londra which have a slimmer profile but give decent traction on slick surfaces.

20231217_160129.jpg
20231217_160133.jpg
20231217_150403.jpg
20231217_150416.jpg
20231217_150430.jpg
20231217_150445.jpg

SumGuy

Reaction score
I've only been here a short while, but have been a fan of Canadian made dress shoes for a long time. I do have some Dack's, but not Hartt, McHale, or other Canadian brands. I also have some British brands (Church's, Barker Blacks, and a few lesser known brands), and a couple of US brands (mostly Florsheim, a Brooks Brothers pair, etc. ), and a pair of loafers that appear to be Italian in design, but there are no markings.

I was driving around with a friend of mine to a blues club, and he noticed a new thrift shop on the way over. He wanted to stop in, just to see what was inside. We wandered around for a bit, and I went over the men's shoes area. I did find a pair of Hartt shoes, way, way too big for me, but more interestingly, they had a glued rubber sole, and it was quite thick. I didn't get the shoes, but I may go back for them, if I can get a definitive answer to the following question: Did Hartt ever make shoes with rubber soles? Looking at the sides of the shoes, it appears that the rubber sole may have been glued on, with a leather sole visible above the rubber outer sole. But that can be deceiving, hence the question. If these have had the rubber sole glued on, it may be worthwhile to go get the shoes, and then offer them to the members here. Shoes appear to be in the size 12-14 range. Marked cost was $25. If I do go back for them, know they will require a re-sole, and some pretty serious work to get the uppers into good shape.

mackbrad

Reaction score
Is this thread still alive?? I ask because I want to divest with some of my collection and this seems like the ideal platform to do it in. I've posted on here a lot over the past four years or so, and have a fairly healthy collection of vintage Dack's, Hartt, Allan Edmonds, et al. that I'd rather sell to my fellow shoe hoarders while avoiding the fees of eBay or Poshmark.

Consider this a Health and Wellness check on this once thriving forum, lol.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this thread still alive?? I ask because I want to divest with some of my collection and this seems like the ideal platform to do it in. I've posted on here a lot over the past four years or so, and have a fairly healthy collection of vintage Dack's, Hartt, Allan Edmonds, et al. that I'd rather sell to my fellow shoe hoarders while avoiding the fees of eBay or Poshmark.

Present.

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am still here. What do you have?

zeromus

Reaction score
I'm still around but haven't really found anything worthwhile at the thrifts in ages
Same here. I came originally for some purchase advice which was great, and I only pop in when it shows up on my email to see what people buy. I'm too busy to go thrifting for stuff so really just sit and admire what others find.

If Mackbrad has stuff in my size, I'd be willing to entertain the idea of grabbing something. But I'm not a collector that is grabbing vintage Canada made shoes as part of a collection. I just want good quality shoes at a good price.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of closets got cleaned out during covid. I haven't seen anything really nice in quite awhile, but I do look less frequently. Most of my pickups are from Facebook or Kijiji, or from people who reach out to me because they know I collect Canadian sole. EBay shipping has become ridiculous. Even shipping to my New York state address is economical since they started collected NY taxes.

BlueSteel

Reaction score

I'm here - have bought a few high-quality new pairs recently, but not much CDN vintage...just have not seen a lot. Interested in what you might have in size 11E (or possibly 11D if the fit is generous)!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads