• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pkiula

Reaction score
Any good proper Vass shoe pair should have the shoe trees and the JR mark on the sole. You need to talk to your seller.

The pic is lousy, as is the angle! Take the pic from the top first, from your own vantage point, and then from the front.

These look like a good pair. If the last is tight, get 0.5 size up. That's what I had to do. I got a 43 and hoped they would break in, but they don't. It's a tapering fit, and as with many such shoes like Santoni or Magnanni, which properly taper at the front unlike the British shoes that are too rounded at the front, you'll need to go 0.5 size higher than your usual, to give the toebox some space.

Enjoy! The double sole looks gorgeous and solid.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well guys I just got my first pair in. Got them from Karl of Ascot Shoes. They are U Last's. Initially they are a little tight but I hear this style is. So I am hoping they break in or something. I am so jealous you all have Vass shoe trees, mine did not come with any. I am currently talking to the seller about my shoe trees.

Here is a phone pic:

Sorry im no photographer.

I was wondering, mines do not have the Johannes Redenbach "JR" nor the German Traditional Tanners Association mark on the sole. Just wondering whats up with that? Anyways, nice polished sole, cant wait to go scruff them up tomorrow. Maybe I will do aerobics class in them to give them a Power-Break-in.

-Chris

I have received shoes directly from Vass where the JR marking on the outsole had rubbed off, was gone, or was never there. The soles were definitely JR however.

In the past the "JR" marking was not as prominent as they are now on Vass shoes. Also, as you know, other makers are able to source JR outsoles and sell them without any JR marking whatsoever. Maybe your shoes are older (Ascot shoes often has shoes from past seasons) or they just used JR outsoles that came without markings.

Either way, nice shoes.

Last edited:

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well guys I just got my first pair in. Got them from Karl of Ascot Shoes. They are U Last's. Initially they are a little tight but I hear this style is. So I am hoping they break in or something. I am so jealous you all have Vass shoe trees, mine did not come with any. I am currently talking to the seller about my shoe trees.

Here is a phone pic:

Sorry im no photographer.

I was wondering, mines do not have the Johannes Redenbach "JR" nor the German Traditional Tanners Association mark on the sole. Just wondering whats up with that? Anyways, nice polished sole, cant wait to go scruff them up tomorrow. Maybe I will do aerobics class in them to give them a Power-Break-in.

-Chris

They should come with trees. Probably you just paid double the price and that too without trees...do your homework first.

Last edited:

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Haha right funny 50£, you have a great sense of humor ever thought of doing stand up?

Anyways Karl from Ascot said he shipped me the wrong trees, im getting the Vass ones free of charge, just they will take about 3 weeks to get here. And because I did actually do my homework I will inform you all the reason why some shoes have JR marked soles and some do not: RTW dont, MTO do. There you go, your welcome. Interesting how fast people online jump to conclusions online. Obviously money cannot buy class.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha right funny 50£, you have a great sense of humor ever thought of doing stand up?

Not sure that this was such a strange assumption...

.....And because I did actually do my homework I will inform you all the reason why some shoes have JR marked soles and some do not: RTW dont, MTO do. There you go, your welcome. Interesting how fast people online jump to conclusions online. Obviously money cannot buy class.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You were the one asking the question:

....I was wondering, mines do not have the Johannes Redenbach "JR" nor the German Traditional Tanners Association mark on the sole. Just wondering whats up with that? ...

Welcome to SF; another great addition.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And because I did actually do my homework I will inform you all the reason why some shoes have JR marked soles and some do not: RTW dont, MTO do.

This is incorrect. I buy my MTO VASS directly from the old store, off Vaci and they do not come with any writing on the soles.

whochrisliu

Reaction score
Look everyone, quit trying to be a smart ass. Are you all here trying to talk about shoes or just trying to dog me? I did my own research into why the soles have no mark and thats what I came up with, since no one can really point out real evidence on why then lets all forget it. And I might be new to Vass but saying that my shoes are worth less than 100 USD is absurd, boarder line insulting. If anyone of you guys want to sell me NIB Vass shoes for <100 USD send me a paypal invoice and I will buy the lot. Pre owned wrinkled as hell with the soles all scuffed up Vass still go for $200+ online.

So stop with the childish antics and get back on topic. I take time out of my own day to post pictures and share with you my new purchases, if you dont have pictures of your own or anything constructive to say then take your BS to the Youtube comment section.

Thank you and good day sirs!
-Chris

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
:lol:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They should come with trees.

mebe. the company which produces their trees gave me the yearly production number for vass and it is significantly lower than the number of pair of shoes made in the vass workshop. the trees are optional.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coming to the fore for the warmer days.

R0012528.jpg

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyways Karl from Ascot said he shipped me the wrong trees, im getting the Vass ones free of charge, just they will take about 3 weeks to get here. And because I did actually do my homework I will inform you all the reason why some shoes have JR marked soles and some do not: RTW dont, MTO do. There you go, your welcome. Interesting how fast people online jump to conclusions online. Obviously money cannot buy class.

Hey - All my VAss shoes are MTO and two have the JR and two dont, so before you call out others do some reading and fact finding.

LEVOOSH

Reaction score

Look everyone, quit trying to be a smart ass. Are you all here trying to talk about shoes or just trying to dog me? I did my own research into why the soles have no mark and thats what I came up with, since no one can really point out real evidence on why then lets all forget it. And I might be new to Vass but saying that my shoes are worth less than 100 USD is absurd, boarder line insulting. If anyone of you guys want to sell me NIB Vass shoes for <100 USD send me a paypal invoice and I will buy the lot. Pre owned wrinkled as hell with the soles all scuffed up Vass still go for $200+ online.

So stop with the childish antics and get back on topic. I take time out of my own day to post pictures and share with you my new purchases, if you dont have pictures of your own or anything constructive to say then take your BS to the Youtube comment section.

Thank you and good day sirs!

-Chris

Calm down there buddy - if you chose to read peoples comments, people who have likely have 10 to 20x more experience with Vass than you do, then you would see that the "$50" remark was in reference to Ascot selling Vass shoe trees seperately on-line. No one is questioning the authenticity of your shoes which I'm sure you paid a pretty penny for.

You've been here a month - thanks for sharing the pics but please take the time to listen to those who came before you rather than get all defensive.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Calm down there buddy - if you chose to read peoples comments, people who have likely have 10 to 20x more experience with Vass than you do, then you would see that the "$50" remark was in reference to Ascot selling Vass shoe trees seperately on-line. No one is questioning the authenticity of your shoes which I'm sure you paid a pretty penny for.
You've been here a month - thanks for sharing the pics but please take the time to listen to those who came before you rather than get all defensive.

Agree 100%, and in the meantime, lets enjoy the fine loafers posted above, if anybody think about getting a pair of loafers, that's the way to do it IMO. Shell F last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads