• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I scored my first shell today... "Made Exclusively for Brooks Brothers" wingtips, but doesn't say in the US, so I'm not sure if it's Alden or someone in England (C&J?)

They're gonna need some restoration. The leather looks to be in good shape with maybe some welting, but it'll be a good test for Reno'Mat to clean them up. The heels are worn some, but the double soles are in good shape. What's the consensus on taking them to a cobbler before flipping?

Also a Valentino DB navy blazer with Valentino logo branded brass buttons and a Bullock & Jones tie.

Pics tonight

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I think I scored my first shell today... "Made Exclusively for Brooks Brothers" wingtips, but doesn't say in the US, so I'm not sure if it's Alden or someone in England (C&J?)

They're gonna need some restoration. The leather looks to be in good shape with maybe some welting, but it'll be a good test for Reno'Mat to clean them up. The heels are worn some, but the double soles are in good shape. What's the consensus on taking them to a cobbler before flipping?

Also a Valentino DB navy blazer with Valentino logo branded brass buttons and a Bullock & Jones tie.

Pics tonight

If you get a pic up of the shoes someone can easily ID them.

Every Bullock & Jones tie i've seen has been great. Seriously underrated.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bullock and Jones is good stuff. That said, If it won't work for me, I pass on it- mostly impossible to flip.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just for reheeling? Would run 10-20 bucks around here.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh god, I just got absolutely raped by a UPS store...Didn't see it coming until all the labels were printed and applied....I feel sick.
I guess it pays to print labels at home even if it's more work...
baldy[1].gif

Please share.
lurker[1].gif

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh god, I just got absolutely raped by a UPS store...Didn't see it coming until all the labels were printed and applied....I feel sick.
I guess it pays to print labels at home even if it's more work...
baldy[1].gif
I used to get raped everyday....I sure don't miss that. Printing my own labels saves at least 2 hours waiting in line at the PO each week, not to mention gas money. The online labels are significantly cheaper....even more so when you maintain top rated seller status and print them through ebay. They even pick them up at the house. If only I has know about these things earlier, I would have saved a few months worth of line time. All you need is a scale, a printer and some half sheet self adhesive labels (or paper and tape). I definitely recommend it. Once you get in the flow of weighing your packages and printing your own labels it won't seem like more work...it will just seem like you are saving time and money.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Oh god, I just got absolutely raped by a UPS store...

I really don't think you did. There's amusing exageration and then there's careless and degrading expressions like this... I really wish people (well, let's face it, men) would stop doing it.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:

I really don't think you did. There's amusing exageration and then there's careless and degrading expressions like this... I really wish people (well, let's face it, men) would stop doing it.
Actually since you bring it up...I believe he did.
Based on the 3rd definition of ****

3. To plunder or pillage.

Last edited:

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please share.
lurker%5B1%5D.gif

9 packages via ground, $132............cheapest thing was like $12, perhaps the playstation 3 game in a small padded envelope....a few others were single shirts. Most of it was smallish/light packages. Gas surcharges were absurd. The packages were already on the counter behind the clerk and it took 5-10 minutes for her to get everything done so I felt stuck :/ I wish I was a dick and walked out with my stuff.

I used to get raped everyday....I sure don't miss that.  Printing my own labels saves at least 2 hours waiting in line at the PO each week, not to mention gas money. The online labels are significantly cheaper....even more so when you maintain top rated seller status and print them through ebay. They even pick them up at the house. If only I has know about these things earlier, I would have saved a few months worth of line time.  All you need is a scale, a printer and some half sheet self adhesive labels (or paper and tape). I definitely recommend it. Once you get in the flow of weighing your packages and printing your own labels it won't seem like more work...it will just seem like you are saving time and money.

That and/or USPS. I have a scale and have printed labels myself in the past(it's a pain without label paper), but I was trying to save some effort this time and I paid for it....

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9 packages via ground, $132............cheapest thing was like $12, perhaps the playstation 3 game in a small padded envelope....a few others were single shirts. Most of it was smallish/light packages. Gas surcharges were absurd. The packages were already on the counter behind the clerk and it took 5-10 minutes for her to get everything done so I felt stuck :/ I wish I was a dick and walked out with my stuff.
That and/or USPS. I have a scale and have printed labels myself in the past(it's a pain without label paper), but I was trying to save some effort this time and I paid for it....

Wow. There is a little tiny gem of a post office that I don't believe many people know about in the next town, I actually enjoy going there and never have waited in a line yet. Knock on wood. I may pay a little more but it gets me out of the house.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads