1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mox C

Mox C Well-Known Member

That sounds correct: http://www.foremostjewelry.com/facs_gold.html

And may I add... DAYUM!

Wow. Now that sucks.

2. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

I actually like this. My tie method is to go through and see if there is a tie that looks like I'd wear it. If there is, then I check the label. I've seen way too many ties I'd never wear (because they're ugly as sin) that had impressive labels.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I would give them the benefit of the doubt. I got a similar one a few months back. There is an inspiring thread about it here.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?63730-Heart-attack-Chief000731-Carl

It was amazing to see a forum "family" react to the circumstances.

4. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, life doesn't stop just because you bid on something on eBay. I'd hang with the guy for a while.

5. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Well-Known Member

Damn 330. Sick haul :slayer: that montipoli suit .......:nodding:

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Well-Known Member

On a lark, stopped by one store here last night. They have that hanging-up tie arrangement too, actually - it's a pain in the ass. Especially because it makes it near impossible to tell at a glance which ties are new and which aren't (because the color is hidden). GAH.

Anyway, this store has been jacking prices hard and fast, so I paid a lot for the coat, but the shirt was only 2.99, cheaper than Walmart-brand shirts, so I can't complain. I have no idea where the once-in-a-while random RLPL finds are coming from around here, because there has never been a store that sold it (other than Filene's). The best part? The shirt is my size, though I'm still undecided if the sleeves are long enough to work or not.

Apologies for the shitty pics, I'm trying to get back into this a little bit as my schedule allows - I have a huge backlog of stuff I haven't even mentioned here, from the period April-now. Unfortunately no Hermes overcoats ;)

Polo RL toggle coat - size L, 100% wool, available
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RLPL shirt, n/a
    [​IMG]

7. Greg613

Greg613 Well-Known Member

Those are cool. If they were a size and a half larger I would grab them from you.

8. Randy

Randy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  9. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if anyone's seen a thread on SF from a lady who had some seal skin shoes made by Dacks that she tried to post on ebay. (The leather was kind of wrinkly and wavy - didn't do it for me at all). They sent her a cease and desist order.

10. 330CK

330CK Well-Known Member

Most definitely. I love finding automobilia in thrifts. Now if only I could find the Ettinger for Bentley or Asprey for Ferrari stuff in a thrift...

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I actually liked these a lot and they'd probably fit. I showed them to my wife as she passed and she asked from which animal they were made. I told her and she gave me the saddest possible look. I'm not sure how she'd feel if I brought them home.

I just read the entire thread. Really interesting to see the outreach. If I ever end up in the hospital [knock on wood], I'll have my wife post something as well.

12. zeek4life

zeek4life Member

I have a question or dilemma for the thread,Is it worth picking up Calvin Klein pieces now Since I see a lot of It in thrift stores recently? If so What do I look out for? Thanks in advance

13. HansderHund

14. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Well-Known Member

"Dad, look at this? Brioni"

My son picked up a Brioni today for $3.99 to flip on Ebay.
    I guess when he gets his license I won't even have to
    go out anymore =)

15. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

Wow! Nice score! Didn't even know they made speakers. You're in Fla, right? Pretty sure they were based in Miami.

16. dustinmyself

dustinmyself Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  17. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Well-Known Member

Tell me about it...The shoulders are lipping off...Moral of the story: if you are loosing weight make sure to do bunch of heavy shoulders lifting to keep them the same size.

Thumbs up for next gen thrifters!

18. green_machine

green_machine Well-Known Member

Nice belt. A good gold for cash trader should give you like 25 per gram of 14k gold. That looks like a nice chunk of gold. Great find!

Picked up these. Pringle flat front, slim, real nice and already drycleaned! my size also. Na

[​IMG]

ties. Bb, bb, bb, gucci all available except green bb

[​IMG]

19. catside

catside Well-Known Member

If the guy had a sickle cell crisis, bad feedback is his last worry. Just saying! You may give them some time.

20. HansderHund

Couple of things...

Is anyone interested in getting a trade box started? I had something like a pocket square trading box in mind. It could work just like the tie swap boxes and pocket squares are light weight, so I thought that would be a decent place to start. Simple rules could be something like only natural (i.e. wool, cotton, silk) and/or only handrolled squares. Quote me if you're interested and we'll see if there is enough public interest.

Does anyone know of a good source for wine/maroon/burgundy pants? I tried a pair on at Brooks Brothers when I was in the US and they were low on sizes. Found a pair that fit well lengthwise, but tight at the waist. There was no fabric to let out of the waist. I'm still thinking about them, so if anyone can point me to a nice source, I'd appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.