• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

raulishere

Reaction score
Tried searching but didn't have any luck. Can anyone comment on sizing for me?

If I'm 46 in normal Achilles and 45 in Bball low would I be able to make a 45 in Premium Achilles (sawtooth) work?

ASpec818

Reaction score
What are the differences between the premium and regular cp's? It looks like the leathers different. Is the heel/sole actually higher as well?

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
From what I can tell, the premium lows have:
- scallop/chevron stitch on the side
- more padding in the tongue and side panels (anterior to the chevron)
- tongue is slightly wider but about the same length as OG achilles
- heel tab rises higher while ankle region (below your malleolus) actually sits lower vs OG
- different lining layout: smooth leather covers heel collar rather than breaking into a suede patch (heel is still suede however)
- toebox is a smoother almond shape and slightly less bulbous than current OG achilles (years ago all achilles had the flattened toebox--unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case anymore...whether by design or decrease in quality control, you can only reliably get the "original" achilles toebox on the premiums now imo)
- some have plastic eyelets, but this seems to be random. OG achilles dont have eyelets

Retro achilles are basically premiums with smooth leather + alternate heel tab color + thinner margom sole. The thinner sole forces the toebox to appear even more bulbous, which to some people (like myself) completely destroys the achilles silhouette.

*edit: I should mention that in terms of premium lows I've only owned and handled suede and nubuck versions so can't comment on smooth leather quality differences. I have handled the smooth leather OG "winter premium" achilles from 2011 (which had an extra piece of leather around the circumference) and felt the leather at that point was inferior to the 2009 and 2010 regular achilles leathers.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I love the low profile toe box of the older achilles funny you should mention. Anything remotely raised like stan smiths I hate.

The burnished ones on bny look nice.

tehfangs

Reaction score
From what I can tell, the premium lows have:
- scallop/chevron stitch on the side
- more padding in the tongue and side panels (anterior to the chevron)
- tongue is slightly wider but about the same length as OG achilles
- heel tab rises higher while ankle region (below your malleolus) actually sits lower vs OG
- different lining layout: smooth leather covers heel collar rather than breaking into a suede patch (heel is still suede however)
- toebox is a smoother almond shape and slightly less bulbous than current OG achilles (years ago all achilles had the flattened toebox--unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the case anymore...whether by design or decrease in quality control, you can only reliably get the "original" achilles toebox on the premiums now imo)
- some have plastic eyelets, but this seems to be random. OG achilles dont have eyelets

Retro achilles are basically premiums with smooth leather + alternate heel tab color + thinner margom sole. The thinner sole forces the toebox to appear even more bulbous, which to some people (like myself) completely destroys the achilles silhouette.

*edit: I should mention that in terms of premium lows I've only owned and handled suede and nubuck versions so can't comment on smooth leather quality differences. I have handled the smooth leather OG "winter premium" achilles from 2011 (which had an extra piece of leather around the circumference) and felt the leather at that point was inferior to the 2009 and 2010 regular achilles leathers.

"The thinner sole forces the toebox to appear even more bulbous, which to some people (like myself) completely destroys the achilles silhouette."

Total truth right there. Retros ain't for me...

I haven't had any experiences with the achilles premiums, although I have always ended up going with the standard achilles, cause I think it always just looks more classic.

Let us know how you go with the sawtooth premiums if you get em though! I'm open to being convinced!

Cheers

Roygbivuxg

Reaction score
Yeah the barneys collab looks nice for sure. Leather feels better than the regular stuff too. I took some pics last week:

colors are a burnished brown with patina and slightly distressed grey

CPs have been pretty boring to me this year but these 2 are kinda tempting. Still waiting for a leather (non-perfed) derby shine...

adrianclmh

Reaction score
Anyone have the buttercream achilles low? Some dude is selling them but I can't find a pictures of them anywhere online

kevin204

Reaction score
hey guys I picked up two pairs of cp chelseas for myself, since it's winter right now I wont be wearing them but should I spray any protectant on it? If so what brands of spray would you recommend.my other suede chelseas have stains on them that wont come out with a suede eraser and brush so i want to keep these in good condition.

Sotiros

Reaction score

hey guys I picked up two pairs of cp chelseas for myself, since it's winter right now I wont be wearing them but should I spray any protectant on it? If so what brands of spray would you recommend.my other suede chelseas have stains on them that wont come out with a suede eraser and brush so i want to keep these in good condition.
I use Jason Markk Repel on my dark grey CP Chelsea and it's fine! I went overboard and sprayed too many coats which darkened the colour, but not permanently, it could be rubbed/brushed off.

JinormusJ

Reaction score
Hey guys

I need some sizing help for some Achilles Lows

I wear:
Dress Shoes - 41⅓ (snug and a little undersized tbh)
Jack Purcell - 8.5
Converse - 8.5
Nike Free 5.0 - 8.5
New Balance 574 - 8.5
New Balance 997/998 - 8
Sperry's - 8.5 (a little loose after break-in)

I ordered a size 41 Achilles Low but some people have told me I needed a 40 or even a 39 (I kinda feel like they're on crack). I also have wide feet and prefer snug fits (can't stand excess length in the toebox). Lot of discrepancy and I'm just looking to get the sizing down

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads