• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sir, you are correct and you have a great eye. They were intentionally left unfinished to give them a more casual style. I think a little Mac Methoding and possibly some Neutral Saphir Cordovan Cream could easily take care of that. They are definitely on the drier side for Alden shell.

I do agree that they are cool, but definitely not as utilitarian as the Cigar LWB.

-M

That's actually pretty cool that they were intentionally left without the luster. Honestly, I rarely wear shell with denim because I don't like the look of shiny shoes with jeans for the most part. These I think would pair better with denim than a lot of other shell/jeans combos I've seen.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My updated LWB collection (all in Shell Cordovan)... I have a Black Shell LWB in production right now.

From 12 O'Clock around (Clockwise): Alden Ravello LWB, Alden Cigar LWB, Rider Scotch Grain Shell LWB, Alden Color 8 LWB, Alden Color #2 LWB, Alden Whiskey LWB, Alden Ravello LWB.

-Mike

Freaking amazing! Wow. My favorites in order: (1) Alden Whiskey LWB, (2) Alden Ravello LWB (lighter color above the whiskey), and (3) Alden Cigar LWB.

thams

Reaction score
Not that I would want a pair (and I'm 100% certain I couldn't get them in my size) but why is it seemingly a secret where these #2 things came from?
I'm kinda confused about that too. A retailer that doesn't want you to know that they have rare shell makeups? I hope that Alden hasn't become THAT "exclusive."

Beautiful shoes though!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm kinda confused about that too.  A retailer that doesn't want you to know that they have rare shell makeups?  I hope that Alden hasn't become THAT "exclusive."  

Beautiful shoes though!  

When specifically asked by retailers, I have refrained from posting news of shoes here in the past. Unfortunately, retailers may not have additional shoes to sell... Many retailers won't want to field 100 calls attempting to buy shoes that aren't available or to get on a list for future orders. Somewhat understandable (I have no clue about these #2s)

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone needs to tell us where #2 comes from....no, not that #2, the alden #2....

thams

Reaction score
When specifically asked by retailers, I have refrained from posting news of shoes here in the past. Unfortunately, retailers may not have additional shoes to sell... Many retailers won't want to field 100 calls attempting to buy shoes that aren't available or to get on a list for future orders. Somewhat understandable (I have no clue about these #2s)
While I understand it can be frustrating to field a bunch of calls about the availability of shoes that are in limited supply, wouldn't you think retailers would rather attract future customers by drumming up attention? Not trying to rock the boat or anything -- just seems strange that a retailer would slap someone down for disclosing that rare shoes were purchased from them.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are also not a retailer having to deal with dozens of calls from people from the internets with zero interest in long-term business with said retailer.

ATLVol

Reaction score
the potential for a long-term "relationship" is not possible without an introduction.....I have purchased more shoes than I care to admit since acquiring my first pair of Aldens less than 2 years ago

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume they allocate special shoes to people who are top customers. There are only a handful. Why get calls from everybody else about them? This is VIP rewards points type stuff. I'm more interested in the existence of the phenomenon than the shoes.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
You are also not a retailer having to deal with dozens of calls from people from the internets with zero interest in long-term business with said retailer.

This seem like a very odd thing to state as fact...

Personally I have not purchased a single pair of Aldens having ever tried them on. Every single one was getting on a list or simply calling a store to inquire about what was in inventory or what was coming in.

We aren't talking about millions of resellers here - and I would consider myself a "long term buyer" to every store that I have ordered from.

J. Gilbert being an example

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't Horween #2 what Carmina calls Ruby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads