1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlaSurfer

FlaSurfer Well-Known Member

I know about people complain about Alden's speed hooks, but every time I wear my shell cap toes with slim jeans they catch on my cuffs and bend up. I'm able to bend them back down again but I'm afraid after doing this several times they will eventually break.

Can Alden replace these if they break and possibly swap them out for eyelets? The hooks seem pretty chintzy...

2. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Well-Known Member

Had to search my inbox, bought these black shell SW's from Leathersoul in 7/12--maiden voyage yesterday! Look like calf as never have been brushed, ever.
    [​IMG]

3. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Your best bet is send them to b.nelson in NYC to have the hooks replaced with eyelets.

You'd have to have your boots recrafted for Alden to even consider looking at them, I assume.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

B Nelson or a capable cobbler can replace the speed hooks with eyelets, but keep in mind that the hooks are spaced differently from the eyelets on the rest of the boots.

5. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Well-Known Member

I like speedhooks - ime they help lace boots securely very quickly (compared to all the tugging and pulling for all-eyelet boots).
    For preventing them from catching on the hems, one trick that works for me is to lace it up normally -> then tie the first twist of the laces at the top -> then take the laces parallelly down the row of hooks, and tie the final knot there, or bring it back up along the hooks and tie the knot at the top. This way the hooks are filled-in, and less likely to catch the hem. Of course this requires that the laces are long enough, and not very thick. Also if the hooks are already bowed/flared out, the above might not help very much

1 person likes this.
  6. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

awesome boots sir. it will catch on.
    very cool. thanks for sharing and keep us posted.

7. MrDV

MrDV Well-Known Member

whiskey ptb
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. HenryIII

HenryIII Well-Known Member

This is an awesome idea. I don't have trouble with hems catching on my speed hooks, but I feel I have extra lace at the end. I am going to try this to take up the extra lace.

9. HenryIII

HenryIII Well-Known Member

Ok boys, I am all in! Alden CXL LWBs with my first CHUP socks and first selvedge denim (would have rocked the 975s, but still some snow and salt everywhere)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Looking killer DV!

11. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Hah, looking good Henry! Enjoy your new attire. Looking good all around.

-Mike

12. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Hah, looking good my friend! Now I don't feel quite as bad about my slow maiden voyages! :)

-Mike

13. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Alden x Tassels Navy Reverse Chamois Indy Boot. Gustin Denim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

3 people like this.
  14. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Well-Known Member

Hold the phone man, I have been buying Shell watch straps from a guy in MI, now you tell me you're gonna start making them. Sweet, I will save on shipping, let me know when I can swing by and grab a few :)
    Oh, I just retired a MAKR angle card sleeve/wallet, if you want it for a template let me know, it's also made of Shell.

Good luck on your new project(s), if you apply your level of detail like you did on that bag and on your motorcycles I am more than positive you will do well.

Talk soon man.

15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

Those look great...if I ever see a good deal on these I may have to grab them....considered getting the green suede indy's but may opt for the NST boot...

16. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Oh man those green suede NST are fantastic. Was holding my wallet tight trying not to pull the trigger on those and the PTB from the recent Unionmade drops. Trying to stick to only the top items on my want list this year with the Canadian dollar tanking, since I will be paying an extra 20+% on everything over last years pick ups.

Plus now it looks like we have Epaulet who probably will do a preorder of the #8 LHS on antique which will have to be an insta purchase.

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

18. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Cheers man! Thanks so much for the kind words. When i've got my straps dialed in, you'll be the first to know. :satisfied:

19. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Ha! If you ever see a good deal don't think twice! There was only one run made for Tassels and they don't plan to make them again. Getting from HK was not cheap. :-(

-Mike

20. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

HaHa, enjoy your leather work! I would be afraid to work on a piece of Shell, then again, I have zero experience with leather work, just experience with leather maintaining... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.