1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

I've owned both the antique edge color 8 LWB and color 8 tankers from Leffot. I decided I like dark edge color 8 better and sold both for cigar replacements (cigar LWB and cigar Indy boots). The right answer is to have all four of these models. I will tell you that I wear the cigar versions a lot more. That said the Leffot Color 8 tanker is one of my regrets. I am in the market for another color 8 boot on a dark sole (either double leather or commando).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Yeah, @CTYGGG , missed those clear large pics.

3. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

King LHS for the inclement weather in LA.

Used my new paste wax for the first time today. Not sure you can tell. Need to up my shoeshine game!

4. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Alpine grain Friday. I think it will catch on.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. Wooderson

Wooderson Well-Known Member

I really dig these boots! Great look!

6. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

Lots of talk about #8.
    PSA: JCrew put up what I think its a new style. #8 Indy on Crepe. ETA's in March.

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Well-Known Member

Great boots and love them socks. Alpine grain is really growing on me.

8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I think they look pretty cool on the crepe....assume Barrie?

9. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Well-Known Member

I had a few minutes to kill before my hair cut appointment today and decided to see what Sky Valet had to offer. Basically, a limited selection, but what caught my attention was their Cigar Chukkas. For those large footed of us -- they have sizes 12D and 13D and E.

10. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Well-Known Member

I'm also on the list, maybe 3rd or 4th in my size. Holding candlelight vigils for cigar cap toe goodness.

11. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

You always look superb and this is no exception. Going bold in your purple!

Nice lookin' WT Boots!

Looking great in your new Green LWBs.

Thats a pretty rad photo my friend. Enjoy your boots!

I vote 975 and Leffot Tanker.

No! See above!

Looking good, that is a great shot of their colors! Thank you for not including other things in this photo. ;-)

Good Tif!

Nuff said Tif! Look at these!!! ;-) Good timing and welcome back!!!

I know! It was horrible! We got like 0.5" of rain. :-( (although it may at first seem that I am being mean or something, we seriously really badly need stinking rain here!!!)

Yeah, those are superb! Thats all that one can say! Cords in the office Saz?

-Mike

12. cezinho

cezinho Well-Known Member

Hi guys, can you tell by this reference number if it is van last or not?

[​IMG]

The shoe is the unlined LHS from BB.

Thank you

13. Bobbo316

Bobbo316 Well-Known Member

I cannot tell for sure, but they kinda look like TB.

14. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

I know this is an Alden shoe thread but I thought you guys might get a kick out of this.

Over the last few years I have taken up leatherwork as a hobby. I do everything without the help of machines (all hand cut and hand sewn etc).

I felt that I was getting to the point I where I wanted to invest in better quality leathers so I sprung for one of these...

Full #8 Horween Shell Cordovan butt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the 2nd largest of the 5 available sizes that shell comes in.

Being able to see/touch/smell the raw material in person has given me a whole new appreciation for this leather. The shell is so dense, yet supple and pliable. Most of the butt is as smooth as glass.

The aroma is also out of this world; It fills the room. Not unlike unboxing a pair of shell shoes for the first time.

A wallet, watch strap, possible patch for a new pair of raw denim are all things id like to create with this and if i have much left over i'll make some watch straps to sell.

However there will be weeks of patterns and prototypes before a knife comes anywhere near this shell, as I have even considered not using it and framing it to hang on the wall :embar: .

13 people like this.
  15. NewYawker

NewYawker Well-Known Member

Very cool BC. I look forward to seeing whatever it is you decide to make. I believe you previously posted a briefcase you made? Good stuff. Did you take a course or just read a book and start getting your hands dirty?

16. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Thank you!

This is awesome. Definitely one of the coolest things I've seen in this thread !

17. blue collar

It actually started a few years back when i began restoring vintage motorcycles. I wanted to do everything myself, so when it came time to upholster a set for the bike I had to learn how to do it.

I did not have access to a sewing machine that could sew leather, so I researched 'sewing leather by hand'. I found and watched/read endless hours of traditional european saddle making techniques (the way Hermes does it, for lack of better way of explaining it).

Most classes/courses available tech you American leather techniques that are less refined and focus on carving/embossing leather.

Working with my hands and being a certified welder helps with the disciplined and detailed aspect of it too, I think.

1 person likes this.
  18. blue collar

Thanks Saz :fistbump:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  19. stevefok

stevefok Well-Known Member

That piece of shell is awesome! Thanks for sharing! And YES, the aroma of the shell is truly amazing!!

20. NewYawker

NewYawker Well-Known Member

Really cool BC. Carreducker offers a shoemaking and pattern making class that Ive thought about taking but I just cant miss that much time from work. I also wouldnt want to jump into a hobby I couldnt devote enough time to to become proficient. Maybe one day. Looking forward to what you come up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.