• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyeheartny

Reaction score
Hi guys, this thread is an incredible resource and a true danger to my wallet! I'm hunting hard for a pair of 11D 975's in Color 8 below retail. I've come up short on eBay and missed the J. Crew discount recently. If anyone has a pair they're looking to get rid of or has any leads, please do let me know. Thanks!

ElDave

Reaction score

Just got my first pair of Alden Indy's #403. I've worn them a total of only 2 weeks, and walked about 50 miles in them. The rubber outer heel is wearing really fast; about 1/2 of the rubber has worn off at the backs of the heels.

By comparison, I have one other pair of Aldens, my All Weather Walkers #949. I've had these shoes for 8 months and walked about 1000 miles on them, and their heels are only slightly worn.

Is it normal for Indy heels to wear this fast? Should I replace the heels when the rubber is completely worn, or should I continue to wear through the leather underneath the rubber?

Thanks for the help!

Are you dragging the heel since they're such heavy boots?

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Hi guys, this thread is an incredible resource and a true danger to my wallet! I'm hunting hard for a pair of 11D 975's in Color 8 below retail. I've come up short on eBay and missed the J. Crew discount recently. If anyone has a pair they're looking to get rid of or has any leads, please do let me know. Thanks!

Welcome to the thread! Yes, you need to be careful in joining this thread! It can be rather expensive... I think that your best bet would be either the MarketPlace on SF or eBay.

Alden shoes essentially never go on sale. The two sales this past week have been flukes.

-Mike

90shilling

Reaction score

11D is still available on the JCrew website, and the 20% discount is still working...

meowmix1891

Reaction score
Welcome to the thread! Yes, you need to be careful in joining this thread! It can be rather expensive... I think that your best bet would be either the MarketPlace on SF or eBay.

Alden shoes essentially never go on sale. The two sales this past week have been flukes.

-Mike
You know I keep reading this but I have not found this to be true. During the past 7 months I've been interested in Alden's, I can already recount about 8 or 9 different instances in which they have been discounted anywhere from 10 to 33%. Of course a couple of them were "price mistakes", but I think it is wrong to say that they are never discounted. They just aren't as heavily discounted as other brands.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys, this thread is an incredible resource and a true danger to my wallet! I'm hunting hard for a pair of 11D 975's in Color 8 below retail. I've come up short on eBay and missed the J. Crew discount recently. If anyone has a pair they're looking to get rid of or has any leads, please do let me know. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

Aldens seldom go on sale. Your best bet would be to buy them at regular price and establish a relationship with an Alden retailer. IMO, the time and energy you spend looking for that "deal" is not worth the $100-ish you might save should you find them on sale. And the shoes will be on your feet in the next few days. :D

BernieIsMyCat

Reaction score
Are you dragging the heel since they're such heavy boots?
I don't think so. I also have a pair of Red Wing Beckman boots that weigh about the same, and wear on their heels is normal.

But my most important question is: is the rubber portion of the heel individually replaceable, or does the replaceable unit also include the leather layers under the rubber? In other words, do I take my boots in for repair when just the rubber is worn through, or do I go ahead and wear through the leather part of the heel as well?

Last edited:

mtc2000

Reaction score

But my most important question is: is the rubber portion of the heel individually replaceable, or does the replaceable unit also include the leather layers under the rubber? In other words, do I take my boots in for repair when just the rubber is worn through, or do I go ahead and wear through the leather part of the heel as well?

The rubber part that you are describing is called the "toplift". It is easily replaceable by most any cobbler. Your local cobbler may not be able to source the exact same ones that Alden uses, but there are plenty of good quality replacements available.

My advise is don't let the toplift wear down all the way to the heel stack (i.e. the leather part). If the heel stacks are damaged, they may have to be rebuilt. Quite a bid more costly in such case.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

REguy

Reaction score

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

really glad i decided to keep these. brown suede 6-eyelet chukka from j. gilbert

Really cool, lots of great aspects to this make up

TO Tie Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice.

I always think Alden sells more shoes in Japan than in the US. Someone should probe that question with the international sales rep. (Mr. Nate Humble).... not that he is going to say anything.

I was talking to one of the guys at LS and they confirmed this.

Unfortunately there is no demand for bigger sizes in the Japanese market so even if I (12D) wanted a pair I'd be out of luck!

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ why isnt there demand for bigger sizes in the Asian shoe market? ^_^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads