• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtc2000

Reaction score

Does Vass call that color ravello?

I agree on Cigar and Whiskey, but I have never heard anyone use the term Ravello.

Wonder what Vass called that color that you depicted. Reminds me a lot of the Allen Edmonds Walnut Shell Cordovan.

-Mike

I've been told by Nick Horween that the Color Ravello is an Alden exclusive. That does not say that the exact same color could be called something else.

See Ya,
Steve

Oh dear. I don't have the box of that particular pair handy, but I will submit the following for your approval. That's another pair of MTO done at the same time. Please direct further questions over to the Vass forum.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Here's something new. An Alden sizing question :) However, I am not anywhere close to a rookie; I have about 30 pairs, almost all shell, in various lasts. Have just started to buy Alden suede shoes. Looking at some suede unlined chukkas on the Leydon last.

I wear a 9.5 D in Plaza, tie Aberdeen, Hampton, and Grant. 9 D in Barrie, Trubalance, and Van.

9 D in slip-on Aberdeen (full-strap loafers and tassel loafers) and 8.5 D in unlined slip-on Van (Brooks shell lhs)

Pretty standard stuff. Here's where it is a touch tricky. I would say my true size is 9.25 D. Plaza tie shoes are slightly big. Ditto tie Aberdeens. Had a pair of bitchin' 9.5 D Plaza slip-on shell boots from Leather Soul and had to give them to my son because they were too big. Plus in general I would say I like thin socks.

What are thoughts on the unlined suede Leydon tie chukkas? 9 D or 9.5 D? Haven't had unlined suede, and never even tried on a Leydon lasted shoe. Guess I'll go to a store too, but I'm curious now.

Last edited:

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're absolutely right that the 994 is a bal. I guess I think of it functioning almost like a PTB that I sometimes forget it's technically not a blucher.* I edited my original post to note this.

*I think this is why this style is one of the most versatile Aldens. You can wear it just like a PTB, but dress it up perhaps even more due to the flat 270 welt, single leather sole, and the fact that they're bals. Saddle owners (MrDV, SFTG, ...), feel free to chime in.

Yes, quite versatile shoes. the 994 is also narrow looking compared to other Barrie lasted models.

Tuur

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how the Alden grant last compares to the C&J's lasts, especially the 348-last? I have a C&J oxford in size UK7,5 (width E) and I find this shoe a little narrow.

Will an Alden boot on the grant last, size US 8,5 (width D) give me a little more room in the toe area?

Thx for you opinions!

Vicious49

Reaction score

Here's something new. An Alden sizing question :) However, I am not anywhere close to a rookie; I have about 30 pairs, almost all shell, in various lasts. Have just started to buy Alden suede shoes. Looking at some suede unlined chukkas on the Leydon last.

I wear a 9.5 D in Plaza, tie Aberdeen, Hampton, and Grant. 9 D in Barrie, Trubalance, and Van.

9 D in slip-on Aberdeen (full-strap loafers and tassel loafers) and 8.5 D in unlined slip-on Van (Brooks shell lhs)

Pretty standard stuff. Here's where it is a touch tricky. I would say my true size is 9.25 D. Plaza tie shoes are slightly big. Ditto tie Aberdeens. Had a pair of bitchin' 9.5 D Plaza slip-on shell boots from Leather Soul and had to give them to my son because they were too big. Plus in general I would say I like thin socks.

What are thoughts on the unlined suede Leydon tie chukkas? 9 D or 9.5 D? Haven't had unlined suede, and never even tried on a Leydon lasted shoe. Guess I'll go to a store too, but I'm curious now.

I'm an 8.5D Barrie and got those suede unlined chukkas in a 9E. Thy run narrow so some retailers like Leffot won't even carry them in a D width.

Vicious49

Reaction score
Won these off Ebay last night. Snuff suede with a flex sole on the Hampton last made for LS. Hopefully I wasn't bidding against one of you guys.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Won these off Ebay last night. Snuff suede with a flex sole on the Hampton last made for LS. Hopefully I wasn't bidding against one of you guys.

Spectacular pick-up! Enjoy often and in great health my friend from Va/Houston-to-be...

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Almost. I was watching them all day but bailed at the last moment. Very nice shoe at a great price. Congrats.

Vicious49

Reaction score

Spectacular pick-up! Enjoy often and in great health my friend from Va/Houston-to-be...

Thank you. I figure I'd better start getting my wardrobe ready for more heat and less snow.

I did a search on LS and I'm pretty sure it's these ones that they did in march 2010. The soles had minimal wear on them. The seller said he wore them only a few times since they were not a good fit for him.
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2010/03/25/alden-shoes-hampton-suede-flex-wingtip/

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As others have said... If the 9D Barrie fits you comfortably, I would go with a 9.5E Leydon unlined.

bauhaus

Reaction score
Can anyone help me find a pair of #8 Tankers in a 10D? They need to be on either a Barrie or Trubalance last. Prefer a commando sole, but not a requirement. I tried Citishoes, but they were out of my size. Any help is appreciated.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

9.5D or 9.5E

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a cordovan specific question:

Are the names Whiskey, Ravello, and Cigar Horween terminology or is that specific to Alden?

Not specific to Alden. You can get the above shades from different shoemakers.

ie. Carmina Whiskey Shell or Vass Cigar Shell

FWIW, I have a light brown (tan) shell double monk from Carmina x Epaulet. It was called saddle shell.

BernieIsMyCat

Reaction score
Just got my first pair of Alden Indy's #403. I've worn them a total of only 2 weeks, and walked about 50 miles in them. The rubber outer heel is wearing really fast; about 1/2 of the rubber has worn off at the backs of the heels.

By comparison, I have one other pair of Aldens, my All Weather Walkers #949. I've had these shoes for 8 months and walked about 1000 miles on them, and their heels are only slightly worn.

Is it normal for Indy heels to wear this fast? Should I replace the heels when the rubber is completely worn, or should I continue to wear through the leather underneath the rubber?

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads