• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to pack for transition weather (April, 10-25 degrees Celsius)

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does one pack for transition weather (say April, 10-25 degrees Celsius)? This is roughly France this past month, with a cold spell, a week of hot and sunny weather, and mistral wind in the south. More importantly what items are stylish and minimize ironing? And save some room for a change of hiking gear for light hikes and walks along the way.

For this kind of trip, merino wool from boxers to long sleeve shirts that double as baselayers are lifesavers. Same with more casual wool pants that are readily worn with a blazer to a nice restaurant yet are comfortable casual.

A water resistant jacket that gives some warmth or accommodates a cashmere sweater underneath like a Harrington are also great for layering. Better to take extra layers for a cold spell than a heavy jacket or coat.

I was wondering what is easy for shirts, though. If it were summer or the tropics, then it's easy and you can take polos and short sleeve shirts. But for transition weather, is there an alternative to sport shirts or dress shirts? For example, does anyone use long sleeve polos for this kind of trip or have a couple of long sleeve t-shirts handy?

jazznpool

Reaction score
How does one pack for transition weather (say April, 10-25 degrees Celsius)? This is roughly France this past month, with a cold spell, a week of hot and sunny weather, and mistral wind in the south. More importantly what items are stylish and minimize ironing? And save some room for a change of hiking gear for light hikes and walks along the way.

For this kind of trip, merino wool from boxers to long sleeve shirts that double as baselayers are lifesavers. Same with more casual wool pants that are readily worn with a blazer to a nice restaurant yet are comfortable casual.

A water resistant jacket that gives some warmth or accommodates a cashmere sweater underneath like a Harrington are also great for layering. Better to take extra layers for a cold spell than a heavy jacket or coat.

I was wondering what is easy for shirts, though. If it were summer or the tropics, then it's easy and you can take polos and short sleeve shirts. But for transition weather, is there an alternative to sport shirts or dress shirts? For example, does anyone use long sleeve polos for this kind of trip or have a couple of long sleeve t-shirts handy?
Besides long sleeve merino wool shirts, I have a few merino long sleeve henleys and a merino wool quarter zip. I leave my better quality long sleeve polos at home.

On some trips where the projected weather will be cool, I don't bother with short sleeve shirts. Layering works best for me too. I pack light. With merino wool I can get a few days use out of my garments without them becoming malodorous.

I'm a fan of Outdoor Research garments including their Helium packable rainwear and ultra light hoodies and Ferrosi jacket. When traveling I sacrifice style to some degree for the sake of functionality and comfort. Safe travels!

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"sacrifice style..." I have long decided not to when traveling to the extent possible!

how do you layer henleys?

my issue is, many things other than a cotton turtleneck or button down shirt look horrible with a v-neck cashmere sweater

jazznpool

Reaction score
"sacrifice style..." I have long decided not to when traveling to the extent possible!

how do you layer henleys?

my issue is, many things other than a cotton turtleneck or button down shirt look horrible with a v-neck cashmere sweater
I layer over a henley as needed.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Chicago a couple weeks back for five days. I concentrated on shirt, pants, shoes, and sport coat that I could work in different combos. And I got it all into my Saddleback leather.

image000000.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads