• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I visited the alden san Francisco store last week. Larry provided excellent customer service, you can tell he loves aldens as much as we do. I bought a cigar belt, the wider 35 mm. They have a couple bigger sizes left. They have whiskey size 40 and 42, and cigar 42. I wear size 36 belts, and bought the last size 38 they had. its a little longer, but fits nicely. I considered getting a whiskey as well and having it sized down, but didn't. is it bad that I enjoyed the alden store as much or more than the other touristy attractions?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wore the 9016 today too uncle. This is the best looking dress shoe in the Alden stable. I think nothing comes close to this black shell beauty when it comes to dress shoes.

Fab choice; Very distinguished looking.

nephew,
thank you

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uncle...superb looking shoe. You're making my wallet lighter!

nephew,
thank you
the economy needs all the help that it can get!

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Picked up a pair of Greenwich boots at leffot today. Thanks to Che and Steven for their help.

wear in good health

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but owning the Alden x J.Crew #8 PCT boot, I thought this was interesting. I was browsing the latest J.Crew catalog, and was surprised to come across some Alfred Sargent for J.Crew footwear. There was a WT boot, a LWB and a double-monk. All in mahogany calf and $515-$550. Looked quite nice.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As others have said, this is an outstanding combo. My EP brown houndstooth pants are with the tailor right now, can't wait to pick them up and start wearing them. All I need is the Ravello Brixton to come in and I'll be all set!

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you, $270ish.

Compared to what people recently paid for those one-piece shell belts from Horween, that's actually not too bad. 35mm is a really nice looking width on that too. Good score!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:My LWB fit the same as my other Barrie shoes.

I agree. I wouldn't change your size with any future barrie purchases. The difference isn't significant enough to warrant a change, in my experience.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:BB might be more accommodating in terms of customer service

Not sure I agree with this... whenever I've tried or viewed Alden for BB in stores, they've been beat up, scuffed, etc... I found a pair of BB short wingtip bal/oxfords today at the BB on Madison Av. Wonderful shoe, but all kinds of finishing flaws... color 8 dye splashed all over the inside lining and little scuffs and dents here and there. Shell enthusiasts know these dents are difficult to remove unless you're adept with the dear bone. These issues do not bother me, but Adam of Carmel would have a giant-sized COW if you sent them back to him. Specialty stores like Leffot, Alden of Madison, etc... are much better with service and care than a general men's store that have SA's with little to no knowledge of shell cordovan. I don't have an opinion on the 2160 and the snap last. They're pretty similar. Cheers my friends...

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a casual LWB, I just so Leffot's version in the dark brown natural chxl. It is a great looking shoe. Couldn't quite justify acquiring an 8th pair of Alden LWB. I tried their George boot on plaza. It too looks great, but wished they had it in Whiskey shell rather than burnished tan (calf). Props to Che for an excellent first visit to Leffot. Thanks also to Carlos of Alden on Madison for being so accommodating and helpful. Excellent customer service all the way around!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads