• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The plaza NST is a nice model. There is a very good chance you will not actually get those in October if history tells us anything. :D

Are you implying they may not be on time? SFTG the crusher of dreams lol.

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

whiskey lhs

Last edited:

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to clarify, I'm referring to the NST shoe, and not the boot.
Here is a link to the shoe:
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Shoes-Shell_Cordovan_Norwegian_Front_238.htm
They are currently available for pre-orer for and October delivery. The Aberdeen last does not suit my foot- the toebox is a bit narrow for me. Personally, I think the NST style looks better on the Plaza than the Aberdeen last.

My bad. In that case, I choose the 975.

Resistant

Reaction score
Sammy,

Go get the LWB ASAP try them on first as the the longwing is often said to fit different than other Barrie lasted shoes.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was not aware of that.

If your an 8.5D in other Barrie lasts, what might you be in the LWB?

aldenwear

Reaction score
As I wrote before, I have the nfb on the plaza last in colored 8 and I agree with you it is a great looking shoe. I did tbnk it looks bettterc than the Aberdeen last version, but I have some nfb in that last and love them.
Alzso some, like citishoes and leather sole havye nfb on Barrie last. Plenty of toeroom there.
Eitherr the nfbv or lwb is great shoe.. lab are all over the place. Plaza nfb more unique.

te name="sammy" url="/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/55470#post_6483479"]Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just to clarify, I'm referring to the NST shoe, and not the boot. Here is a link to the shoe:
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Shoes-Shell_Cordovan_Norwegian_Front_238.htm
They are currently available for pre-orer for and October delivery. The Aberdeen last does not suit my foot- the toebox is a bit narrow for me. Personally, I think the NST style looks better on the Plaza than the Aberdeen last.[/quote]

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lovely whiskey LHS Uncle. Did you have a double sole put on this pair, and do they feel much different than the single leather soles?

nephew,
thank you
I had the lhs changed from single sole to a double sole.
it is definitely heavy then the single sole

sammy

Reaction score

Sammy, 

Go get the LWB ASAP try them on first as the the longwing is often said to fit different than other Barrie lasted shoes.

Will do but why should the LWB fit differently than other Barrie lasted shoes? I have the suede blucher on the Barrie and it fits me just fine.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes calf skin, dont like to use polish on my shoes for some reason.

If it'll go away with time then i am fine by that.

This Alden is my first expensive & good shoe....so maybe thats why i am so paranoid.

If it really bothers you I would suggest trying Saphir Reno. I'm not a big polish guy if I can avoid it, and I try to use as little additional substances as possible but reno has worked wonders for me on both calf and shell, Im somewhat amazed by it, and it leaves leather (particularly calfskin in my experience) with a very nice look and feel. I set a shell wallet down the other day on my kitchen counter, it picked up a similar circular water mark, although I think it was from a frozen blueberry. I put a tiny drop of reno on, and it looks better than new. Good luck

Polish is the only real way to correct for color loss/changes in calfskin. If you aren't willing to use polish, at least occasionally, then a year from now a small water spot will be the least of your worries. Renovateur can only be expected to do so much. It may keep the leather in good condition (assuming you don't over use it), and keep a healthy looking "glow", but eventually it will remove color, and it won't hide all of inevitable scuffs and scratches. Of course, if you are actually after a "well aged" looking shoe, then disregard this. I'm not sure that's the case though, if you are very bothered by a few small water spots.

Shell is a horse of another color.
biggrin.gif

aldenwear

Reaction score
Will do but why should the LWB fit differently than other Barrie lasted shoes? I have the suede blucher on the Barrie and it fits me just fine.
I have not had the experience that my lwb fit differently than other barrie-lasted shoes. Some have said that barrie-lasted boots fit them differently than barrie-lasted shoes. That has not been my experience either.

I have suede and cordovan barrie lasted shoes and suede and cordovan barrie lasted boots. They do not all fit identically out of the box. But the differences have been so marginal as to not, in my view, be worth noteworthy and, after a few wears, I would be hard-pressed to note any differences.

i will say this: my barrie-lasted unlined suede single leather soled ptb feels different on my foot than my barrie-lasted black cordovan double leather sole ptb. I suspect this is due to the very different soles and, to a lesser extent, the thinner, more flexible leather of the unlined suede v. lined cordovan. I don't notice a fit difference.

Some say barrie-lasted boots fit differently than barrie-lasted shoes. I guess some now say that lwb barrie-lasted shoes fit differently than other barrie-lasted shoes. Some people have written that their Alden size changes with last; boot v. shoe even on the same last; lace-up v. slip-on, etc. Some are very sensitive and persnickety. Some care more than others. Let your feet be your guide, but it likely won't matter.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda glad I haven't been officially fitted by an Alden dealer, as it would probably lead me to finding out that I "need" an oddball width or something. My feet don't complain with D widths, whether it be barrie/plaza/grant (only lasts I own). I did grab a pair of C width nst boots from LS on deep discount that fit, but haven't been worn at length yet.

I will admit, not being fitted by a knowledgable salesperson familiar with Alden has kept me from going for any loafers, as I would be concerned about the money spent should they not fit. AE shell patriot seconds fill that void for now.

Rishi Kakar

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
In your experience is their no difference between Alden and Alden made for BB in terms of quality standards that Alden sticks to?
Do members have a preference for the Alden cap toe 2160 (color 8) or the Alden for BB on snap last?

Appreciate your observation and preference on the above. Thanks!

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
In your experience is their no difference between Alden and Alden made for BB in terms of quality standards that Alden sticks to?
Do members have a preference for the Alden cap toe 2160 (color 8) or the Alden for BB on snap last?

Appreciate your observation and preference on the above. Thanks!
No quality difference that I could tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads