1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeebs

thebeebs Well-Known Member

^ no difference at all. no difference in resale either, unless the buyer happens not to like the makeup. only difference is in the details, last, etc, and to each his own in that regard.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

All things being equal, Brooks Brothers shoes tend to be dressier and sleeker lasted than their close Alden branded equivalents. They rarely are 30% off anymore.

There was a case a couple of years ago where an eBay buyer successfully claimed with eBay that Brooks Brothers Alden shoes weren't true "Aldens" and therefore got a refund for the shoes after sending them back. Most BB models aren't "rare" so don't see them getting huge resale value on eBay (beyond normal cordovan resale value)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  3. docalden2013

docalden2013 Well-Known Member

Good luck on your grail quest. I thought there was a batch of shell Indys at Alden Madison a few months back. Not sure if it included cigars or if it was even Madison now that I think of it.

I like the Plaza for boots, but am not convinced that it does well for shoes. I definitely dig the Plaza for pairing with charcoal pants and maybe a suit if I'm feeling bold. Still unsure whether I can wear the plaza wt boots confidently with jeans; the moc toe imho would work more easily with jeans. My issue with the medallion plaza bluchers, including the ravello (which I just recently passed up), might mainly be with the 6 eyelets.

Will you guys think less of me if I pick up a Barrie king wt boot in addition to my plaza? Because such is the way of the Alden...

4. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Nope. I want them too!

5. budapest12

budapest12 Well-Known Member

I think people should buy what they want if they want it, period. Also, I cannot understand why the wingtip boot on plaza wouldn't work with jeans. That would be how I'd wear them most of the time if I had them.

6. thebeebs

^ agreed that BB shells are not "rare" since they don't have exotic models, but if i understand correctly, he was asking the question apples to apples, that is across similar stock vs BB models.

7. docalden2013

Everyone please pm me the best places to look for a king 8 boot on barrie. Do NOT post recommendations here, because tifosi will snatch them right out of my hands! [​IMG]

Then I'm in good company. I'll try to stop being so neurotic about my Plaza issues.

8. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

You're safe, Doc. I'm done buying for a while.

9. Vicious49

Vicious49 Well-Known Member

10. budapest12

^ +1. Nice thing about spring coming (at least it should be coming, in theory) is that it will slow down my boot roll.

11. docalden2013

I thought I was done for a bit as well. Then we start talking about Barrie vs Plaza and I start fiendin

And we're never safe. We 8.5/9-ers always have to look over our shoulders with the likes of bkotsko, steel28, and several other fellow senior members :)

It would be neat to have a rare shell sharing cooperative, like a sort of AldenFlix. You get a rare model in your size, say a MrDv ravello nst, for a week. You Mac them, shoe tree them and send them back to get your next pair. If only they weren't on our sweaty feet.

12. smoothie1

smoothie1 Well-Known Member

This is not quite true. Brooks Brothers will do a few makeups in whiskey and cigar shell from time to time; whether this qualifies as exotic, it beats me. However, I have not seen them on the website.

13. Vicious49

Yes, be wary of all the senior members.

14. ATLVol

ATLVol Well-Known Member

I have 2 pair of shoes on the Plaza last, #8 monks and cigar PTB with 6 eyelets, and they are 2 of my favorites during the week with dress slacks and/or jacket.

I had a pair of plaza PT boots and ended up selling them as I couldn't get comfortable with wearing them casually.....hopefully the SF member that now has them is enjoying them!

Similar to you Doc, they seemed to dressy for me when I tried to pair them with chinos or jeans.....strange because the look so good when others post their pics on this thread.

Everybody has their own preferences......for me a lot of it is trial and error with finding what works for the individual with their style.....I have bought a number of make ups that I thought I would love but the just didn't feel right with what I tried to wear them on a day-to-day basis.

15. ATLVol

ATLVol Well-Known Member

sorry.....too dressy

16. budapest12

Got to disagree. A dressy wingtip blucher boot is still not that dressy at all.

Just don't wear with your wingtip pants and wingtip sweater. Too matchy-matchy.

EDIT: plaza PT or captoe, I see the argument a bit more, though would still wear with jeans on some occasions

17. thebeebs

I would love to see photos of such models if you or anyone here has them. Never seen anything but black and color 8 come out of BB.

18. NYDRH

NYDRH Well-Known Member

The only one I've ever seen (not in person) was a whiskey unlined LHS. It will pop-up on google although there is not much of a discernible difference via photo relative to the lined whiskey LHS

19. JezeC

JezeC Well-Known Member

Quote:If BB's version has the same signature glossy finish in its shell like that of Alden's version, I'm down to grab a pair at 30% off whenever it becomes available. I'm guessing that's one of the better discounts out there for Alden shoes.

20. Vicious49

Regarding my question earlier where I linked to the LHS - Do the BB versions use the same last? Or do they use a different last as is the case with some of AE's makeups for RL and such?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.