• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just arrived today. Alden of DC Ravello LWB. Double water-lock sole. Marcoliani merino wool argyle socks.

nephew,
wear in good health your gunboats

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I hope not
cry.gif
Anybody have any idea whats up with the dark spot on the right shoe here? ~One month old, worn 5-7 times, haven't touched them except for brushing after wearing.
enjoy wearing

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

#8 LWB Maiden Voyage I got them from Hunt Club Clothiers in Cincinnatti on sale, from pre-increase prices (I bought them literally the day before the price increase). Not saying exactly what deal I got but they took good care of me. These shoes are a dream to wear. I never want to take them off my feet. Wind was blowing so I think it made the trousers drape funny. Let me know what you think.
wear in good health

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whats the best way to strip down some #8 ptb's of any and all wax/polish etc? i have some beaters here that are looking pretty rough, would like to start fresh

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nephew,
wear in good health your gunboats
Mac, I'm extremely honoured to have received an acknowledgment from your esteemed personage. You've influenced a lot people on this website. Myself especially. I've gone from hobbiest to enthusiast in a short period of time. The inspiring photos featuring the coolest shoes and ever present argyles are one of the main reasons I keep coming back to SF. It's not just the quality of Alden shell cordovan shoes which are attractive. It's the people who wear them that make collecting fun. Cheers and kudos Uncle. Your definitely the "Mac Daddy" of them all. Peace!

REguy

Reaction score
Just a warning when storing your waterlock soled shoes. Don't let the soles touch other lighter colored leather. I tossed a pair of brand new LWBs in the closet which happened to fall onto a pair of white golf shoes (a virgin pair of vintage Foot-Joy Classics for those golfers reading this). The area where the waterlock touched the golf shoes turned purple :fu:

I've currently got said area covered with corn starch in hopes it pulls some of it out.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mac, I'm extremely honoured to have received an acknowledgment from your esteemed personage. You've influenced a lot people on this website. Myself especially. I've gone from hobbiest to enthusiast in a short period of time. The inspiring photos featuring the coolest shoes and ever present argyles are one of the main reasons I keep coming back to SF. It's not just the quality of Alden shell cordovan shoes which are attractive. It's the people who wear them that make collecting fun. Cheers and kudos Uncle. Your definitely the "Mac Daddy" of them all. Peace!

nephew,
thank for your gracious comments

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a warning when storing your waterlock soled shoes. Don't let the soles touch other lighter colored leather. I tossed a pair of brand new LWBs in the closet which happened to fall onto a pair of white golf shoes (a virgin pair of vintage Foot-Joy Classics for those golfers reading this). The area where the waterlock touched the golf shoes turned purple
ffffuuuu.gif

I've currently got said area covered with corn starch in hopes it pulls some of it out.

I have 7 pairs of the Footjoy classics (4 are the dry premiere). Best golf shoes ever... they were my gateway shoes that got me to appreciate the leather soled shoe with the different colored edge. Nothing like the all white, bal PT with the lighter brown edge; a true classic! It's a shame they do not make them anymore...
frown.gif

Good luck with the clean up!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, Alden NYC has some new non-cordovan makeups - grain LWB on crepe (similar to the Leffot version) and a brown calfskin PTB on double leather (I actually like this version a lot, though I have yet to purchase it)

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
did alden dc ever put out another email after the initial email address leak one? i vaguely remember Che spearheading it but now that she left, I wonder if someone else will handle it

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

#8 LWB Maiden Voyage I got them from Hunt Club Clothiers in Cincinnatti on sale, from pre-increase prices (I bought them literally the day before the price increase). Not saying exactly what deal I got but they took good care of me. These shoes are a dream to wear. I never want to take them off my feet. Wind was blowing so I think it made the trousers drape funny. Let me know what you think.
My friend, I do not mean to be overly critical but those trousers are too long.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing my new CXL Longwings today for only the 2nd time, and I am getting some pretty nasty creasing in the left toe box, significantly worse than my right. Probably me just being anal, plus it look worse in person than this picture, but is this anything I should be concerned about?

Did you end up getting the Epaulet makeup too? I'm loving the Leydon so much - wore them back to back w/ my Barrie LWBs and was amazed at the difference. Enjoy wearing them!
FWIW, w/ my NatCXL Indys, if you get a tree that really fills the toebox and pay special attention to brushing them out after every wear, the wrinkles won't ever become overly obvious.

that's doesn't look bad to me. you have two things working against you, though. 1. longwings = massive toe box which makes the appearance of creasing more prevalent. 2. CXL is prone to not just creasing, but wrinkling, which looks more like what you're experiencing. there are certain areas of the hide that are more prone to this wrinkling than others.

I wouldn't worry about it. I always get more and uglier creasing on left because 1. both feet are not identical and 2. every1 walks differently

Truth.

There is a great Alden last chart that can be found with a basic google search. It lists all the lasts and their corresponding fits I believe the website that published it is called red clay. I'm positive someone around here has a link?

This is the one I've used for reference in the past; although in my experience Tremont marks the line between TTS and -.5, rather than Grant.

Last edited:

herrmj

Reaction score
whats the best way to strip down some #8 ptb's of any and all wax/polish etc? i have some beaters here that are looking pretty rough, would like to start fresh
Saphir renomat has worked well for me. Kirby/Hanger Project sells it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads