• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no - as stated earlier: "I say this without wanting to get into any debates/conversations/arguments on the matter - to each his own - "

And as I said, this is a typical response for someone using price as their reason.

Not blaming you, shell is expensive. I can see how many would not see the value.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And as I said, this is a typical response for someone using price as their reason.
Not blaming you, shell is expensive. I can see how many would not see the value.

Also, seems pointless to come into a thread where everyone loves shell, say you will never buy a shell shoe, and then refuse to explain why.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd go with the Ravello NST blucher at shoemart currently. It's on the aberdeen last though. If you can weat that last in a D width you're golden. If they had that shoe in an E width i'd be all over that ish!
And no, ravello is it's own thing. More red than wiskey. Pull the trigger!

FWIW, I used to think cordovan boots (outside of maybe chukkas) were a waste - why use such leather on what is supposed to be a rugged shoe? Now, my cigar captoe boot is one of my favorite shoes and I have a ravello captoe on order, but there still is some of the original sentiment - for example, it's hard for me to personally get into the cordovan Indy boots on double leather soles that people seem to like.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question: Do I need Ravello, and if so, what shoe?
I have Whiskey LWBs, Cigar chukkas, PTB #8s, and black shell captoe bals. As Whiskey ages, it darkens. Would it be too close to Ravello? When would I wear Ravello that I wouldn't wear either Whiskey or Cigar?
I know I'm missing a LHS, but I can't wear the Van Last, so that's an impossibility.
Thoughts?

You need ravello, it is one of the more stunning cordovan colors. As suggested, a LWB would be a good option. Also, ravello tassel loafers are also an excellent choice (Leffot has them occasionally). I also cannot wear van, but aberdeen lasted loafers fit me perfectly

Last edited:

sfactor23

Reaction score
Also, seems pointless to come into a thread where everyone loves shell, say you will never buy a shell shoe, and then refuse to explain why.

Beatlegeuse, perhaps I should put my comment into context - it was in response to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldenLuver

Forgive me for not knowing, but does the contest prohibit shell cordovan? Not sure why you would design your dream Alden shoe/boot with calf. I'm new so pardon me if I am off.

The point is that, for some, there is a preferance for calf over cordovan - for me, there is a very specific reason -

Furo, believe what you will -
and with that, gentleman, I am finished with this conversation -

Last edited:

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score

Grady Ervin? I just moved to Charleston and they're the only other shop besides Ben Silver that I'm aware of that sells Alden.

Yes, I think that's it.

I find these to be rather exceptional, and I agree, the suede touch is a bit classier for this style of shoe.
By the way, I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see a pair of shoes here that not many, if any, of us have to display.
Wear with pride! :fonz:

Thank you!

AldenLuver

Reaction score
Beatlegeuse, perhaps I should put my comment into context - it was in response to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldenLuver

Forgive me for not knowing, but does the contest prohibit shell cordovan? Not sure why you would design your dream Alden shoe/boot with calf. I'm new so pardon me if I am off.

The point is that, for some, there is a preferance for calf over cordovan - for me, there is a very specific reason -

Furo, believe what you will -
and with that, gentleman, I am finished with this conversation -

Not sure why you won't explain your "very specific reason for your preference for calf over shell cordovan" for bluchers, brogues, oxfords, etc... (I get the Indy/rugged boot argument, but for a dressier look, not sure.) I'd like to know the other side of the debate... just curious. Either way, it's your call, sfactor23.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure why you won't explain your "very specific reason for your preference for calf over shell cordovan" for bluchers, brogues, oxfords, etc... (I get the Indy/rugged boot argument, but for a dressier look, not sure.)   I'd like to know the other side of the debate...  just curious.  Either way, it's your call, sfactor23.

can't a guy just have a personal preference that is against popular opinion on this forum?
yeesh,
let them eat calf!

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW, I used to think cordovan boots (outside of maybe chukkas) were a waste - why use such leather on what is supposed to be a rugged shoe? Now, my cigar captoe boot is one of my favorite shoes and I have a ravello captoe on order, but there still is some of the original sentiment - for example, it's hard for me to personally get into the cordovan Indy boots on double leather soles that people seem to like.

Because cordo is an exceptionally rugged, low maintenance leather that also happens to look great? It *is* a great work leather shoe. Ask Crane about his Wolverine 721LTDs in #8 how much **** (literally) he puts them through. Just because a lot of nancy boys on an internet forum feel like they have to baby their $600+ boots doesn't mean that you have to do the same. At least in the case of my shell cordos, they're work boots, albeit really nice ones. I fully intend to abuse the **** out of them.

(and I dig calf and the other leathers, but I'm not that fond of pebblegrain.)

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm suddenly much more interested in a pair of cordovan shoes than I was just a few minutes ago . . .

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nice looking collection. Ravello is a must, I'd go ravello LWB or PTB. Here's a few pics of ravello & whiskey.
IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

Love the Ravello Captoe. A beautiful makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads