• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAF-8AF

Reaction score

^ I'll go to my grave saying those are on the Barrie based on all the photos. Do you own any other Barrie lasted shoes to compare fit?

I know what you mean. They don't look like Aberdeen. I have two pair in Aberdeen and many in Barrie. Hard to compare fit, though, since all my other shoes are E width, but the toes do still look a little narrower even though not as pointy as most Aberdeen. The code in the shoe read 3G23X029 12 followed by 20913 on the bottom line, if that helps at all. The description on the Epaulet page says Aberdeen. I don't know....

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day out for these. Salzburger Alpine Grain Shortwing from Epaulet (Aberdeen last). I've been trying forever to get Kathy at Alden DC to make exactly these (including double waterlock sole) but she doesn't seem to think short wing bluchers do very well. I love 'em. Had to compromise though, since Epaulet doesn't do E widths, so I went up a half-size in D and we'll see how they work out. So far, so good, with thin socks.

Regarding Alden DC, Kathy hasn't given up on the e-mail list. Not sure what she needs to do to convince corporate that it's a good thing, but it's not totally dead. I figure if she can reach out to more people she will be more willing to try make-ups that may otherwise not do well locally. I'm in there pretty regularly and it's always interesting to see what regular non-fanatics come in to look at.

I am virtually positive that Alden DC had those same shortwings but on commando sole.

Last edited:

AAF-8AF

Reaction score

I am virtually positive that Alden DC had those same shortwings but on commando sole.  I saw them this past summer and thought about getting them, but ultimately decided I didn't want to go in there anymore.

I had asked them about an e-mail list but was told there really wasn't one.  I had put my name on a list for notification of a re-stock that came a while ago, though I never got a call.  I must have rubbed them the wrong way (though I was nothing but polite, I swear) because I have had a number of experiences there that seem to be completely at odds with those of everybody else.  Ce'st la vie.  I've spent my money elsewhere.

Your memory is almost correct. They were long wings, and they do still have them.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid growing up in Texas, my cable company carried Braves games (TBS) more than Houston Astros games
baldy[1].gif
. So, I ended being familiar with the Braves year after year. Never was a fan but one of my favorite players was Terry Pendleton. A few years ago I caught a Braves game on TBS and they got an entire new play by play crew in the second half of the game. I don't get that!

Funny, I had the exact same experience. I grew up in Texas, and I was far more familiar with the Braves than the Astros or the Rangers. I did manage to get a ball personally signed by Nolan Ryan at a fundraiser though.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
newbie, I think they look good, seem to match the natural welt ( I am a newbie as well so I think I am using the right terminology :)) if that's the goal. Gives it a more casual rugged look. What are the other options you are thinking about?

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J Crew coupon fun seems to be over...

Anybody who used the JCrew coupon get shipping confirmation? Ordered suede Indys on Sunday and yet to ship. I know it is early to be getting impatient but I see that my size is now back-ordered. Will be extremely disappointed if these don't go out - they were in stock when I ordered.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been eyeing those Epaulet Salzburg's. Look great. After seeing your pics I am also thinking they are Barrie. Mike knows his lasts and he says Aberdeen, but they sure look more like Barrie in your pics...

Cigar Cap Toe's today

aldenwear

Reaction score
First day out for these. Salzburger Alpine Grain Shortwing from Epaulet (Aberdeen last). I've been trying forever to get Kathy at Alden DC to make exactly these (including double waterlock sole) but she doesn't seem to think short wing bluchers do very well. I love 'em. Had to compromise though, since Epaulet doesn't do E widths, so I went up a half-size in D and we'll see how they work out. So far, so good, with thin socks.

Regarding Alden DC, Kathy hasn't given up on the e-mail list. Not sure what she needs to do to convince corporate that it's a good thing, but it's not totally dead. I figure if she can reach out to more people she will be more willing to try make-ups that may otherwise not do well locally. I'm in there pretty regularly and it's always interesting to see what regular non-fanatics come in to look at.

Those are great-looking shoes. I hope you enjoy them. I really don't think, however, that those are on the Aberdeen last. First, they look like Barrie-lasted shoes -- round v. almond-shaped toe -- wide middle, etc. -- and most, if not all, of Epaulet's make-ups are on barrie last. But if Epaulet says Aberdeen, then so be it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads