1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLVol

ATLVol Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this is how many of my purchases have been made!

I have the "stoneman" chukkas and think they look great.....haven't worn them yet as I am hoping to sell my standard #8 chukkas first.

2. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Drunk shoe shopping sounds really dangerous.

Note to self: Hide iPad while drinking.

3. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am returning them. But I hate returning shoes and I'm paying $18 for TSM to ship them to me and ship them back and ultimately just sell them to some other chap. So I'm peeved about it.

4. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

That dover on commando is super tempting. I think I need to log off the internet asap

5. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much! I'm really happy with the fit on these. When you have flat feet, a nice supportive boot with no aching at the end of the day is a God-send.

6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  7. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Congrats! I really like these. If my casual collection wasn't filled I would add these. Love captoes and love pebble grain.

8. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

Ravello MCT:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

+1 I want those.

10. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Well-Known Member

Believe me - I was aware of the risks and understand it all. But I feel like I was shipped one shoe in seconds condition and one shoe in third or fourths condition. Or whatever condition a shoe would be in after looking like it went through a washing machine and then a dryer.

11. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  12. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

I agree regarding the the Sanderson last being better for another design, particularly if they just switched it from a long- to a short-wing.

Regarding which is "better," I certainly like the Alden better, at least when it's not on my foot. Unfortunately, while I love the natural welt and all, on my own feet it just doesn't look good (example below.)

Over the last year or so, my shoe collection has been moving to models that I don't even particularly like on a store shelf, but that I feel look good on my feet, in context of my outfit/height/weight, etc.

(Mild exaggeration of how 10.5E Barrie-lasted shoes with natural welts look on my feet.)
    [​IMG]

13. ElDave

ElDave Well-Known Member

While I'm sorry the purchase didn't work out, this certainly doesn't invalidate the TSM seconds list as a viable option. I've only purchased from the TSM seconds list once, but the Ravello chukkas I received were, as far as I could tell, perfect.

Look at it this way: purchasing any second (Alden or other,) is a small gamble. After shipping and possibly a restocking fee, you're out, what, $30? That's a very small amount, relative to the cost of any Alden shoe.

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,
    safe travel

15. tifosi

tifosi Well-Known Member

As true as that statement is....I wouldn't be fond of throwing money away.

16. mcarthur

nephew,
    looking good!

17. mcarthur

[​IMG]
    black tassels
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Nice tassels Mac. -Mike

19. mcarthur

nephew,
    thank you

20. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

It has been a while since we have had a shoe recovery post, so I thought that I would post mine. As I think I have mentioned before, I picked up a pair of Leffot Ravello Tassels off of eBay a few weeks back. Unfortunately, they aren't my size, but I put a lot of labor into recovering them. Here are the before and after pictures...

Before - They had some bad creases, several slashes/nicks, and some signs of water.
    [​IMG]

After - not perfect yet, but with more TLC, they will be.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The method that I used on them was to buff with a moist towel, brush for a long time, buff with a dry towel, rub main creases and nicks with a deer bone, brush again, buff with a dry towel, and then I did a Saphir Reno and Neutral Cordovan Cream job to get them nourished and back to beautiful. Finally, I brushed them again and then buffed them.

Sadly, their new owner, of whom they will actually fit, will be taking them on today. But, I know that they will be in great hands (or feet, whatever).

Have an awesome Friday fellow Alden aficionados.

-Mike

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.