• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Thanks man. Did you also get the 4060? The black has all but nearly chipped off the eyelets and the sole is getting close to requiring a resole. I don't wear that boot with dressy trousers anymore so I think the contrasting eyelets offer a nice juxtaposition to the jet black shell
Yep, I just got them last week. After getting the color8 version, first, I decided I had to have the black. I plan to wear mine primarily to work in the fall/winter months with khakis. I may pair them with jeans once in a while for days out. I plan on using my shell Indys and CXL boots for more casual duties. I really underestimated the beauty of black shell.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Ha! All this time I thought she was Paris Hilton.

2160s today boys:

Paris Hilton isn't that good looking(to me anyway)! Ha!

Nice shoes! I have been thinking about a #8 captoe blucher.

Last edited:

tampatravel

Reaction score
Ha! All this time I thought she was Paris Hilton.

2160s today boys:

That's hot!
bigstar[1].gif

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditional PTB (recently acquired from eBay) in color 8 vs unlined PTB (Alden DC) in black

Both are the same size and last. The unlined version is an overall smaller and lighter shoe. The welt is smaller, the sole is single leather vs double leather, and the shoe fits snugger. The traditional 990 is much more of a substantial shoe and probably stands up a bit better to denim. Both are timeless.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nice score alcibiades. IME, it felt like the unlined version fit almost 1/2 smaller than the typical barrie fit. I tried sneaking into a 11E unlined ptb with no luck. Conversely, I am able to fit into a 11E (TTS 12D) barrie chukka snugly. The unlined shoe is far sleeker imo

Last edited:

Profligate47

Reaction score

Though I've owned my commando chukka's for a few months, these represent my first opportunity to wear commandos outdoors.

I can say without the slightest hint of equivocation that my feet have never felt this good. We'll see how they feel after 8+ hours of wear, but the initial review is certainly positive.

Is that photo the AofC short wing on commando? Barrie last?

tampatravel

Reaction score
Ohhh I love it alcibiades!

I have those two as well. Mine are both lined...but I love them. The #8s were bought at TSM and the Black were from eBay at a $137.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
some recent Appreciation including the unlined ptb and coolarrow's 2060

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Love the unlined PTBs. I want a pair! or two

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and for good reason. its really a nice shoe. if anyone has a pair in us11.5 or 12 that fits too big, ill trade for my 11E pair. i cried inside when my pair didnt fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads