1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Official Aloha Shirt Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by bl@ster, Apr 30, 2014.

1. bl@ster

bl@ster Well-Known Member

Thought it was time for an Aloha shirt thread! Here we can rethink what we all know about the Aloha shirt (the nasty modern stuff dad wears on vacation) and instead concentrate on the beautiful vintage designs of the 1930's, 40's and 50's. Let's use this thread to share pictures and info on our vintage Aloha shirt finds and modern re-pops of these bold patterns.

One really good online resource is the Museum of Hawaiian Shirts: http://themohs.org/

From their Golden Age history page:

Lasting a mere two decades and beginning more than a half century ago, the “golden age” of Hawaiian shirts has left an enduring fashion legacy. Once you have worn a World War II-era vintage “silky” rayon “Hawaiian” or “aloha “shirt,” you begin to understand what attracts so many zealous collectors who are sometimes willing to pay what seems like incredulous sums of money for what many people refer to as “just a shirt.” It is these very qualities, however, that has helped the Hawaiian shirt mystique retain its popularity. [...] In addition to the immense enjoyment that one receives from owning and wearing these shirts is the knowledge that they have proven to be a worthwhile investment, not only financially but to help preserve what has become part of our American heritage.

One of the better books I've found on the subject is a beautiful coffee-table book called My Freedamn! Seven -- Vintage Beach Fashions by Rin Tanaka.

Here are a couple shots from the book to get you in the mood:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. bl@ster

First up are some pics from my recent score... a modern re-pop from Kamehameha (a company that goes back to 1936). This one is called "Lei Lady." -- 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, double needled sleeve and side seam, matched print pocket, top button collar tab,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. bl@ster

This one, also from Kamehameha, called "Tiger" 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, double needled sleeve and side seam, matched print pocket, top button collar tab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Peter1

Peter1 Well-Known Member

I admire the best Aloha shirts as art, but honestly they don't look good on anyone outside of the islands, and even then you've got to have a certain physique. The arms and body are just too blousy.

But the fabrics are fantastic, and I like that Gitman/WvG, even EG are making contemporary shirts with Aloha-type patterns.

5. bl@ster

I'm a fan of having the tailor take about 1" off the sleeves. Here's Clooney rocking one and he could probably use the sleeve snip.

[​IMG]

And then there's of course Elvis:

[​IMG]

Anyway, Reyn Spooner has a new modern collection that is more closely fitting:

[​IMG]

6. bl@ster

"Classic Hibiscus" by Kamehameha. 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, double needle flat felled seams, matched print pocket, top button collar tab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  7. bl@ster

"Hula Maid" vintage print from Go Barefoot. 100% Rayon, coconut shell buttons, Matched Print Engineered Patch Pocket, Made in Hawaii since 1957.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Louys

Louys Well-Known Member

I approve of this thread, when I go home I'll post a rediculous and awesome print I got in Oahu. I agree though wit comments on fit though. The old silhouette needs to slim up a bit, it doesn't match the proportions of contemporary pieces.

9. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

heck yeah! mo' bettah thread.

10. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Well-Known Member

[​IMG]fucks yeah

This Adam Kimmel overdyed shirt will forever haunt my #missedopportunities
    [​IMG]

I've got a couple of vintage rayon shirts that make it into the regular summer rotation, kind of as a reminder that life is short; get a tan. That said, rayon is a pretty disgusting fabric to be wearing next to skin in humid weather. I've also got an obnoxious bark cloth (rough cotton) shirt in a fat old guy cut that I can't let go of. I've threatened to wear that shirt to dinner with my GF. Her fear was palpable.

Of course, a Japanese repro company is going to out-Hawaii Hawaii...
    [​IMG]

Sugar Cane at Self Edge... YOLO

11. ShoutOutsFoMyBo

ShoutOutsFoMyBo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

thrifted this a while ago

3 people like this.
  12. bl@ster

Reyn Spooner reverse print "Spooner Cloth" floral:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. bl@ster

Perhaps my favorite.... "Koi" by Kamehameha. 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, double needle flat felled seams, matched print pocket, top button collar tab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. bl@ster

Diamond Head Sportswear, 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, top button collar tab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. bl@ster

Bird of Paradise Kamehameha Aloha Shirt. 100% Rayon, Made in Hawaii, genuine coconut buttons, matched print pocket, top button collar tab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Reginald Bartholomew

Reginald Bartholomew Well-Known Member

17. Donut

Donut Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  18. bl@ster

Lands' End with Hoffman California Fabrics, Floral. 100% cotton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. bl@ster

"Exploding Volcano" by RJC. Made in Hawaii, 100% cotton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Bl@ster, these wonderful shirts you're collecting and posting - are they all vintage you've scooped at thrift shops, ebay or other sources? Or are any of these brand new, made in vintage styles? Curious. And if they're in specialty 'collector stores', are they charging 'big-bucks' for them, like buying 'old art'? It's all very intriguing.