• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
I think the problem here is on this site black shoe in particular are not as popular. I on the other side like a good black shoe " though I have to admit don't wear nearly as much as my other shells". I have two pair black shells and like them allot
true...and on top of that the price alone makes it very desirable

saywordsahn

Reaction score
Noob question: I don't have any nice shoes, just some beaters for work, runners, and some canvas sneakers for summer. Should I pick up the Indy boots or will there be something that's more versatile with my wardrobe (some chinos and jeans?) I've only really seen the Indy fit with jeans which raised this question. Thanks!

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't give a hoot about popularity, but black shell doesn't give you the subtle color variations of #8, ravello, whiskey, etc. over time. I agree with "not as desirable".
Black shell is desirable because for one, you need at least one pair of black shoes for things like funerals, and Black shell is way better than Black calf. Way easier to keep a shine on, lasts longer, doesn't get nasty looking cracks/creases over time, etc, etc.

Shell is not just about color variations. It's a better material any way you look at it.

david3558

Reaction score
Okay I love black shell, proof here:

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've finally gotten around to taking pictures of my Ravello shell Shortwings -- size 9.5D Barrie last. New In Box. I will list them for sale in the classifieds tomorrow, however I'd much rather seem them to go to someone in this thread. Great opportunity for a pair that may not be produced again and the shortage of exotic shells being produced. Nothing wrong with shoes, selling because I haven't worn them and I have a similar pair in Ravello shell.

PM me if you are interested. Thank you.

With Flash:

Without Flash:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more black shell I see, the more I like it

A black calfskin shoe is essential, but I'm liking how black cordovan PTBs and chukkas look in the sun. I rarely wear my black balmoral cordovan boots (hard to get on and off, too chiseled of a last to wear casually), but they look good when I do

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black shell is bomb
Thanks for the Psa just picked up a pair

No affiliation but if you order going through ebates.com, you'll get 6% back at the end of the quarter. I believe you'll need to create an account to make this happen.

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score
the consensus is that barrie-lasted shoes fit slightly looser than barrie-lasted boots, right? is it an entire half-size different?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BTW, Mediahound I have a Woo amp, Auedeze LCD-2 rev.2 and a pair of Senn HD-800's so it looks like you and I share a few hobbies :)

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is enough to change size though, is it?
Really depends on your feet and what you want to do. To keep things simple, you could get the same size in all Barrie Aldens and could wear a thicker sock with the LWB and be fine.

Or, you could size down on just the LWB and probably also be fine. For me, I can wear 8.5D in all barrie Aldens except LWB, which I can wear 8D with thin socks, or 8.5D and thick socks.

BTW, Mediahound I have a Woo amp, Auedeze LCD-2 rev.2 and a pair of Senn HD-800's so it looks like you and I share a few hobbies
smile.gif

Cool. :) I'm actually working on a video on my Lyr amp as we speak. Should be up in my channel tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads