• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does appear as the good times at J Crew have ended for now.

Just tried a test order and the 2 test items (Alden) I tried no longer work no longer work with the Promo code.

Last edited:

Hermitedge

Reaction score
indy boot sizing help. can't decide if i should go with 7.5 or 8. after sizing down.

nike - 8.5
vans/tretorn - 8
allen edmonds dress shoes - 8.5
clarks boot - 8

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good deal, but I don't think the Alden pricing is some wacky mistake. I seriously doubt that they would **** up every 6 months, while simultaneously strategically removing the newly arrived models (like the natural CXL boot).

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good deal, but I don't think the Alden pricing is not some wacky mistake. I seriously doubt that they would **** up every 6 months, while simultaneously strategically removing the newly arrived models (like the natural CXL boot).
I don't believe so either. Typically only the very stupid would continue to make the same mistake. I agree that this is something they have decided to do.

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's marketing. The hype that's generated translates into sales down the line, and the loss, if there's any that Alden or JCrew takes is offset by this following that's cultivated by what's basically a promotional event. It's so short lived, seriously how long did it last, that the sale itself generates this like mythic image in people's minds, and it will get mentioned here in like a year or two, like somebody will post "guys remember the JCrew/Alden sale of 2012 when they knocked off 30% on select models," etc.

But so it's very clever marketing because unless you're fortunate enough to randomly catch the sale the only ones that find out about it are the very people who already own like three pairs, are loyal Aldonites, and actually have enough of a thing for Aldens that they know 30% off is as good as it's going to get, or the people who've been trolling threads like this patiently trying to decide which pair to cop first. How many people who never heard of Alden do you think saw the sale and thought, well if they're on sale now I'll just wait until after christmas and then they'll be like half off. No. No they won't. It's a clever and deliberate customer loyalty ploy and I'm bitter because I missed it.

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm. I think you're looking into it too far. I have a degree in marketing, which by no means makes me an expert but I think it was an accident. They are probably in such a rush to get X sale up at X time to beat competitor X sales that they don't have to time to manually exclude items, so they go in and fix it after the fact. This comes from personal experience in marketing where it's very reactionary and super clutch sometimes with deadlines. If it was on purpose they wouldn't have been excluded shortly. I think you prove a really good point about how everyone who caught the sale are people who are Alden customers already. This also shows that it probably wasn't planned because it's not like they are opening their market or introducing new customers to Alden shoes. Most people were probably like why should I buy this ridiculous $500-$600 shoe when I can just buy J crew house brand shoes that looks just as good (in the pictures).

I'm super glad I caught it though. I got the Indy boot which will be my first indy boot, although I have the Context Roy boots that are sorta fill that gap of casual boot in my wardrobe I feel like the Indy leather sole can be a bit more dressy if needed.

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So bummed to just get an email from Unionmade that the 9.5 Ravello Captoe Boot I ordered online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's marketing. The hype that's generated translates into sales down the line, and the loss, if there's any that Alden or JCrew takes is offset by this following that's cultivated by what's basically a promotional event. It's so short lived, seriously how long did it last, that the sale itself generates this like mythic image in people's minds, and it will get mentioned here in like a year or two, like somebody will post "guys remember the JCrew/Alden sale of 2012 when they knocked off 30% on select models," etc.
But so it's very clever marketing because unless you're fortunate enough to randomly catch the sale the only ones that find out about it are the very people who already own like three pairs, are loyal Aldonites, and actually have enough of a thing for Aldens that they know 30% off is as good as it's going to get, or the people who've been trolling threads like this patiently trying to decide which pair to cop first. How many people who never heard of Alden do you think saw the sale and thought, well if they're on sale now I'll just wait until after christmas and then they'll be like half off. No. No they won't. It's a clever and deliberate customer loyalty ploy and I'm bitter because I missed it.

Instinct says its something of a mistake. Why it didn't include all models is hard to say, but I'm not a loyal Jcrew customer and won't become one because of the sale. I don't see how selling a premium item at a discount to people who are really only interested in that item and are also generally willing to pay full retail is a smart move for a business. Particularly when at least some of the models are exclusive to Jcrew.

Hmm. I think you're looking into it too far. I have a degree in marketing, which by no means makes me an expert but I think it was an accident. They are probably in such a rush to get X sale up at X time to beat competitor X sales that they don't have to time to manually exclude items, so they go in and fix it after the fact. This comes from personal experience in marketing where it's very reactionary and super clutch sometimes with deadlines. If it was on purpose they wouldn't have been excluded shortly. I think you prove a really good point about how everyone who caught the sale are people who are Alden customers already. This also shows that it probably wasn't planned because it's not like they are opening their market or introducing new customers to Alden shoes. Most people were probably like why should I buy this ridiculous $500-$600 shoe when I can just buy J crew house brand shoes that looks just as good (in the pictures).
I'm super glad I caught it though. I got the Indy boot which will be my first indy boot, although I have the Context Roy boots that are sorta fill that gap of casual boot in my wardrobe I feel like the Indy leather sole can be a bit more dressy if needed.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are not available any longer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edmund K

Reaction score
What do you think J.Crew's profit margin on the Alden shoes? But it seems they intentionally hold off couple Alden models from the sale two nights ago. I really have no idea if it is intentional or not. One thing I noticed different from their disclaimer is:

Copied from J.crew website:
*25% offer valid on purchases of $150 or more before taxes are added. 30% offer valid on purchases of $250 or more before taxes are added. Valid on qualifying purchases made in J.Crew stores or at jcrew.com from 11/29/12, 12:01am ET through 12/2/12, 11:59pm ET. Offer is not valid at J.Crew Factory stores; jcrewfactory.com; J.Crew 769 Madison Avenue, NY location; Ludlow Shop at 50 Hudson location, NY; Ludlow Shop at Copley, MA location, or on phone orders. Offers cannot be applied to previous purchases or the purchase of gift cards and cannot be redeemed for cash or combined with any other promotion. To redeem online, enter the code WINTER at checkout. Discount not valid on purchases of certain third-party branded merchandise or men's suiting. Free shipping is valid for shipments to the U.S. and Canada on online orders of $150 or more, before taxes are added, shipped via regular ground shipping (3 to 6 business days). Offers are valid in the U.S. and Canada only. Terms of offers are subject to change.

They used to say "discount is not valid on all the third-party branded merchandise" I tried to put a Barbour jacket in the cart two days ago and the Bedale jacket was discount to $260. I probably agree with dotcomzzz about their marketing strategies. One thing I can say is J.Crew is screwing up the Alden economies here. I am not sure if that contribute to the decline of quality control since J.crew is helping them to sell so many shoe a day.

Last edited:

prozach1576

Reaction score
It seems to consistently happen at least once a year around the holidays, right? It has to be intentional. It's probably both about marketing and managing inventory.

I am curious about what a retailer's cost on a pair of Aldens is. I highly doubt J. Crew is taking a loss selling them at 30% off. The rarity of Alden discounting is probably contractual, much like how Filson has historically tried to control retailer's ability to discount.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you think J.Crew's profit margin on the Alden shoes?  But it seems they intentionally hold off couple Alden models from the sale two nights ago.  I really have no idea if it is intentional or not. One thing I noticed different from their disclaimer is:

Copied from J.crew website:
*25% offer valid on purchases of $150 or more before taxes are added. 30% offer valid on purchases of $250 or more before taxes are added. Valid on qualifying purchases made in J.Crew stores or at jcrew.com from 11/29/12, 12:01am ET through 12/2/12, 11:59pm ET. Offer is not valid at J.Crew Factory stores; jcrewfactory.com; J.Crew 769 Madison Avenue, NY location; Ludlow Shop at 50 Hudson location, NY; Ludlow Shop at Copley, MA location, or on phone orders. Offers cannot be applied to previous purchases or the purchase of gift cards and cannot be redeemed for cash or combined with any other promotion. To redeem online, enter the code WINTER at checkout. Discount not valid on purchases of [COLOR=FF0000]certain third-party branded merchandise[/COLOR] or men's suiting. Free shipping is valid for shipments to the U.S. and Canada on online orders of $150 or more, before taxes are added, shipped via regular ground shipping (3 to 6 business days). Offers are valid in the U.S. and Canada only. Terms of offers are subject to change.

They used to say "discount is not valid on [COLOR=FF0000]all[/COLOR] the third-party branded merchandise"   I tried to put a Barbour jacket in the cart two days ago and the Bedale jacket was discount to $260.  I probably agree with dotcomzzz about their marketing strategies.   One thing I can say is J.Crew is screwing up the Alden economies here.  I am not sure if that contribute to the decline of quality control since J.crew is helping them to sell so many shoe a day.  

I don't think J. Crew's profit margin is much because they can't really dictate the prices. From my observation, the Aldens are more or less in line with other similar Alden shoes sold by other retailers, give or take a few bucks. I think J. Crew is using brands like Alden and Barbour as leverage no doubt. I used to think J. Crew was on par with Banana Republic as being an upper end mall brand several years ago. But because they now carry high quality brands that are pretty much SF approved, it pushed them into unmarked territory of a mall brand with a boutique niche appeal.

I also know that J. Crew is very popular with college kids, a lot of them with J. Crew cards. Those kids would like shoes from Alden, but can't really afford $500 shoes at that point in their lifetime. With this 30% off sale, it gives enough justification to pull the trigger and put the charge on the J. Crew card because they will save 30%, not knowing that the APR rate is just as much, or probably nearly the same as the discount in the first place.

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The stock seemed limited too. I bought a 7.5 indy, after checkout I went back to see if 7.5 was an option and it wasn't anymore.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at the Edward Green show at Leffot yesterday and spoke with Steven... For those that preordered some Alden models a couple of months ago (like the Color 8 Tanker, natty chromexcel longwing, Indy on commando sole, etc), Leffot expects those models to arrive this month

I'll work on getting Steven to switch out the crepe sole on the whiskey/black saddles to leather for his next order...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads