• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit Check - Tom Ford Suit Jacket

Reaction score
Hi all -

I found an unaltered, new-with-tags Tom Ford suit on TheRealReal for about 80% off retail. The problem is, it's a 56IT, and I usually wear a 54IT / 44US. I'm always looking for deals and I have had something like this suit in my sights for a while for my wedding, so when I saw it I figured I'd buy it and just return it if the fit wasn't right - I've heard that those suits are cut in such a way that some people need to size up and I'm pretty broad, so I figured I had a decent shot.

It came in the mail today and honesty, I can't tell if it is too big for me. The shoulders are maybe just a hair big, but because they're padded more than my usual suits (I generally favor suits with natural shoulders) they don't droop down and seem ok, but not perfect. I did the shoulder-wall test and the padding hits the wall before my shoulder does, and it does look like there's a small divot in the sleeve that develops but again, it's not drastic.

I attached some photos from a few angles I took and would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 36
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 72

philwongnz

Reaction score
This looks like an O'connor or Spencer. But it does look like the shoulders is buckling along. Also the arms needs to be shorten. I am not sure you are aware, Tom Ford button holes are a bit different to normal suit where the last one closest to the cuff is slightly longer, so you might need to take it to a shop that handles Tom Ford or we can provide you the measurements. In all honesty I think you are in between size for this cut where 54 might be a bit tight for you. But like many weddings I helped to style the grooms, most tends to loose weight (intentionally and unintentionally), so this suit might be a bit big for you on the big day but will be fine later on. My advice is go to a Tom Ford store and get it pinned to ensure the fit is correct, they might change the shoulder pads for you to give it a bit of a lift to fit your shoulders a bit better. Good luck.

Reaction score
This looks like an O'connor or Spencer. But it does look like the shoulders is buckling along. Also the arms needs to be shorten. I am not sure you are aware, Tom Ford button holes are a bit different to normal suit where the last one closest to the cuff is slightly longer, so you might need to take it to a shop that handles Tom Ford or we can provide you the measurements. In all honesty I think you are in between size for this cut where 54 might be a bit tight for you. But like many weddings I helped to style the grooms, most tends to loose weight (intentionally and unintentionally), so this suit might be a bit big for you on the big day but will be fine later on. My advice is go to a Tom Ford store and get it pinned to ensure the fit is correct, they might change the shoulder pads for you to give it a bit of a lift to fit your shoulders a bit better. Good luck.
Thanks! Well aware that I'd have to get the sleeves shortened, this is a completely untailored jacket.

I agree that it's probably just a bit too big so I'm going to return it and just keep my eyes peeled for a deal on a 54.

philwongnz

Reaction score
You need to take note of the cut/style of the jacket also not to confuse you more, I have Base A/Windsor in 46 to 50R and they all fit me (50R I need to take in a little on the waist) as the size varies from season to season, best is to ask for measurements and get it adjusted. The key thing is to make sure it fits your shoulders and other parts can be adjusted within limits, but shoulders are almost impossible

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrendavid777