1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew, good looking shine

2. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Thanks Uncle. Full Mac method with boning and Reno

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

Your cobbler (B Nelson or whoever you use), should be able to provide the sole. He can probably show you a range of wedge soles to select from.

4. planetarium

planetarium Well-Known Member

Moulded Shoe has a plain toe boot on the ripple wedge sole in "wax brown". Not sure what sizes are remaining or if the modified last works for you.

Edit: changed the photo, they put up a new shot that does it much more justice

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  5. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

6. mcarthur

nephew,
    looking good in your ravello nst

7. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

Love those Cigar Gunboats [​IMG]

8. sazon

sazon Well-Known Member

Don L: You are right and you are right.
    I have put in a call to our friend Yenni.
    How many days till Fall ?

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

Both of these stories are very unnerving to read. Alden's recrafting service is one of the main reasons I initially latched onto this brand, expecting literally a lifetime of wear out of these shoes. Pity Alden wouldn't take pride in living up to their established rep.

10. Don L

Don L Well-Known Member

I have had 2 pair shoes recrafted and both came in Green fresh Alden boxes with my size on the outside and trees and bags included.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

To be clear, I only got hit with the white box on one pair. And though I sent the shoes in without laces, they came back with new laces. Interestingly, after I got hit with the white box on the first pair, I sent the second pair in plastic bags (no shoe box). They came back in a new Alden branded shoe box with the correct model number.

12. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Well-Known Member

I recently sent in some shoes to Alden for a re-crafting and while I didn't get a white box on return, they did forget to send back my shoe bags. I emailed them through the contact email on the very old seeming Alden website and they replied later that same day and sent me out a new set of bags. FWIW, I think as I was surfing around on their site for an email address or phone number I saw somewhere that they request not sending the shoe bags in with the shoes when having work done... probably so they don't have to worry about forgetting to return them.

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Throughout my time reading the thread, Alden recrafting has been reviewed as hit or miss. The stories that worry me the most are shoes that get redyed when the customer request that they don't get redyed. For now I think I will stick with B Nelson when it comes to resoling/recrafting just to be sure.

14. El Argentino

I think I'm leaning the same way. Seems cheaper too...?

15. 100 yrs

100 yrs Well-Known Member

funny, the other day i noticed that a couple of speedhooks on my #8 plain toe boots from j. gilbert were starting to pull out like yours Mario. i'm just going to ride out the rest of the boot season then take them in. it almost seems like the speedhooks can be clamped back together with pliers, and now i wonder if it's worth sending them all the way back to alden. i'll see what Yenni says.

16. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Well-Known Member

+1

17. mcarthur

+1 for gunboata and argyles

18. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

The box and bags are just part of the problem. I can't believe they came back that dirty a. And, the bare metal now exposed on the speed hooks is slightly annoying. Just overall a very poor experience. Again, this is on a brand new pair of boots that I then had to wait over a month to have repaired after a handful of wears, and they get sent back as if they were TSM seconds. I would have expected better at this price point. Inexcusable IMO. When I have the time I will call Alden direct as I'm curious on their response. I'd expect a lot of people in this thread to be biased and Alden-apologetic, but everyone else I've told my experience to was floored. If I had paid a TSM 2nd price, I would be satisfied, but I am not at full-retail.

19. El Argentino

Oh, I'm floored for you - paying this much for shoes (I mean, SF-goggles aside for a minute - they are just SHOES) is inexcusable to return them FROM THE FACTORY in anything less than pristine condition. Best to you in raising a bit of hell.

20. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

Anyway, just sharing my experience as it's a forum/community after all. At the end of the day, I still like the Aldens I own :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.