• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElDave

Reaction score
I'm a 10.5D (just) in the Barrie and an 11E in most other shoes. Does the Van last offer the same width as the Barrie, or would I need to size up to a 10.5E?

marmottan

Reaction score
^ In my opinion, a 10.5E (even a 11D) should fit you perfectly regarding what you mentioned.
I wear 8E and 8.5D in the Barrie and 8.5 in the Van.
Needless to say that you are advised to try before purchase.

Hope this helps.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
quick question:

Is it possible to put topy/vibram/commando soles on the oiled waterlock soles?

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although an Indy boot was not going to be my first Alden boot purchase, I couldn't pass up the great price on a pair of 405's when I visited Chicago. I do like the boots and am breaking them in now but I was shocked at how heavy they were.

I'm kind of anal and I keep a spreadsheet of all my boots with info like when I bought them, the price, type of lining, sole, etc. One of the things I also track is the weight of the boot. Most of my boots (at this point, mostly Italian but some AE) weigh in at the lightest about 15oz to about 1lb 5oz. My AE walnut shell Daltons are 1lb 3oz. But these 405's weight in at 1lb 12oz!!! I don't notice a 1lb 5oz boot too much but I definitely notice the weight on this Indy boot.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was what is it that makes the 405 so heavy? Is it the neoprene cork sole? Or the steel shank? Because I have a pair of Alden plain toe boots on order (flex leather sole) and I'm wondering if they're going to be that heavy as well.

ubiquiti

Reaction score
Although an Indy boot was not going to be my first Alden boot purchase, I couldn't pass up the great price on a pair of 405's when I visited Chicago. I do like the boots and am breaking them in now but I was shocked at how heavy they were.

I'm kind of anal and I keep a spreadsheet of all my boots with info like when I bought them, the price, type of lining, sole, etc. One of the things I also track is the weight of the boot. Most of my boots (at this point, mostly Italian but some AE) weigh in at the lightest about 15oz to about 1lb 5oz. My AE walnut shell Daltons are 1lb 3oz. But these 405's weight in at 1lb 12oz!!! I don't notice a 1lb 5oz boot too much but I definitely notice the weight on this Indy boot.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was what is it that makes the 405 so heavy? Is it the neoprene cork sole? Or the steel shank? Because I have a pair of Alden plain toe boots on order (flex leather sole) and I'm wondering if they're going to be that heavy as well.
While I have no personal experience with Indy boots outfitted with the commando sole, I have read that they are considerably lighter than Indy boots with a neoprene cork sole and the rubber foot balance piece. I'd have to say that the majority of the heaviness comes from the foot balance piece. A dense piece of rubber that's meant to assist in keeping your feet grounded.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Although an Indy boot was not going to be my first Alden boot purchase, I couldn't pass up the great price on a pair of 405's when I visited Chicago.  I do like the boots and am breaking them in now but I was shocked at how heavy they were.

I'm kind of anal and I keep a spreadsheet of all my boots with info like when I bought them, the price, type of lining, sole, etc.  One of the things I also track is the weight of the boot.  Most of my boots (at this point, mostly Italian but some AE) weigh in at the lightest about 15oz to about 1lb 5oz.  My AE walnut shell Daltons are 1lb 3oz.  But these 405's weight in at 1lb 12oz!!!  I don't notice a 1lb 5oz boot too much but I definitely notice the weight on this Indy boot.

Anyway, what I wanted to know was what is it that makes the 405 so heavy?  Is it the neoprene cork sole?  Or the steel shank?  Because I have a pair of Alden plain toe boots on order (flex leather sole) and I'm wondering if they're going to be that heavy as well.

1) Alden shoes and boots are heavy, especially in cordovan and chromexcel. The steel shank, leather soles, and substantial leather make a heavy shoe.
2) The stock Indy is particularly heavy due to cork sole. I have a commando soled Indy which is lighter than the normal version, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is still heavier than you are used to

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I have no personal experience with Indy boots outfitted with the commando sole, I have read that they are considerably lighter than Indy boots with a neoprene cork sole and the rubber foot balance piece. I'd have to say that the majority of the heaviness comes from the foot balance piece. A dense piece of rubber that's meant to assist in keeping your feet grounded.

1) Alden shoes and boots are heavy, especially in cordovan and chromexcel. The steel shank, leather soles, and substantial leather make a heavy shoe.
2) The stock Indy is particularly heavy due to cork sole. I have a commando soled Indy which is lighter than the normal version, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is still heavier than you are used to
Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated. Interesting ubiquiti, your comment about the Foot Balance heel. I hadn't thought of that but now that you mention its objective, these boots do make my feet feel well grounded.

Another question --- these were not supposed to be seconds, at least I wasn't told so even though I paid only $380 for them. I do think they are older stock as they have the older cotton duck lining. Anyway, my issue is with the tongue on the left boot. It does not stay centered behind the laces as you can see from the pictures below. Actually, if you look at the eyelets, the left and right side don't appear to be aligned. So it's almost as if the whole vamp is kind of skewed to one side. The right boot is off only slightly.

1. Am I being picky and is this kind of thing to be expected from "hand-made" type boots such as Alden? Or should these have truly been seconds? (and I know I should have noticed this before I left Chicago with them.)

2. What can I do about the left boot? Do you think a good cobbler can detach the tongue from the vamp and sew it back on to make it straighter? I know the eyelets being askew will have to stay that way.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

is it wrong that I want to print out this post and hang it by my desk?
Thanks uncle...great looking ravello PTB. I will never go how you get your creases looking so subtle and great.

nephew,
thank you
the creases are do to genetics

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The #8 PT Blucher is one of my fave Alden shoes. The beauty lies in its simplicity, IMO. My love affair with the plain toe style continues, this time in a Plaza boot, courtesy of Yenni at J. Gilbert.
Maiden Voyage
Alden8PTBoot.jpg

Alden8PTBoot2.jpg

It looks like these boots are made of Tiger Blood and contain Adonis DNA. Great boots! :slayer:

Alden #8 shell next to Rancourt #8 Chromexcel

And then different versions of #8--AE, Florsheim, Alden, and Rancourt

VERY informative post. This may not be the only thing I learned today but it is the most important. Thank you. :satisfied:

2quls3q.jpg

ravello ptb
argyles otc
alm3gh.jpg

Uncle, I am going to say this, and I do not say this lightly.

[COLOR=0000AA]Of[/COLOR] [COLOR=0055AA]all[/COLOR] [COLOR=0088AA]the[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]shoes[/COLOR] [COLOR=0166cc]you[/COLOR] [COLOR=3333cc]have[/COLOR] [COLOR=6699ff]posted[/COLOR] [COLOR=6633ff]those[/COLOR] [COLOR=660099]Ravello[/COLOR] [COLOR=990066]PTB's[/COLOR] [COLOR=0350AA]are [COLOR=0400AA]my[/COLOR] [COLOR=990033]favorites[/COLOR].

super excited to have gotten in on a pre-order of cigar shell plain toe boot on barrie last with commando sole as offered by Frans Boone
hoping to see these sooner rather than later :)

Those are going to be soooo great. :slayer:

hey where did u get ur PTB black in barrie?
i got a #8 captoe from J.Crew last year, and i think i need my 2012 dosage of cordovan in black , PTB this time round :)

Leather Soul Hawaii

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2009/04/08/alden-shoes-black-shell-cordovan-ptboot/

hkpm

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated. Interesting ubiquiti, your comment about the Foot Balance heel. I hadn't thought of that but now that you mention its objective, these boots do make my feet feel well grounded.

Another question --- these were not supposed to be seconds, at least I wasn't told so even though I paid only $380 for them. I do think they are older stock as they have the older cotton duck lining. Anyway, my issue is with the tongue on the left boot. It does not stay centered behind the laces as you can see from the pictures below. Actually, if you look at the eyelets, the left and right side don't appear to be aligned. So it's almost as if the whole vamp is kind of skewed to one side. The right boot is off only slightly.

1. Am I being picky and is this kind of thing to be expected from "hand-made" type boots such as Alden? Or should these have truly been seconds? (and I know I should have noticed this before I left Chicago with them.)

2. What can I do about the left boot? Do you think a good cobbler can detach the tongue from the vamp and sew it back on to make it straighter? I know the eyelets being askew will have to stay that way.

I don't think they are seconds.
But it is weird that the left tongue slip to the right side, normally it should slip to the left.
(yeah I know it is weird to say the words above, but it is Alden Indy boots.....)

I heard that a cobbler can stitch one side of the tongue to the vamp, so it can stay in place.

To be honest, I recommend you not to do close inspection on the Indy boots, it has the worst finishes among my Alden collection. (I don't know the shell version is any better, but at least the CXL of mine is like that)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads