• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have numerous shoes/boots from Alden (and other brands) and while Modified may not be comparable to the Aberdeen or Plaza within the Alden last world, the fit of the Modified is excellent for me. The heel grib, arch support, and ball width is a unique combination. As a casual boot or shoe, I think it's great.
If I want sleek, I can reach for my EGs, if it's comfort for the day, the Modified (and Barrie as a close second) are worn.

I don't doubt for a second that the fit is fantastic. Just not a pretty last.

edit: Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. Didn't mean to rant.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't doubt for a second that the fit is fantastic. Just not a pretty last.
edit: Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way. Didn't mean to rant.

I agree pretty is not an adjective I commonly use with the Modified. :)

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks like this is the link for the boot referenced above:
http://www.fransboonestore.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=337_389&product_id=694
Unfortunately, it doesn't have any pics or seem to answer any of your questions. They have a lot of pre-orders up on their site right now, including a couple more Cigar offerings, as well as a Ravello boot on the Plaza which looks pretty nice. Although, the Ravello boot looks more like Whiskey to me - maybe they already have the same boot in Whiskey that they are going to be offering in Ravello now, but it's not in production yet so they show pics of the Whiskey version online?

There are more pictures for the pt boot on the online site now. Frans has updated that it will be antique edge color with commando soles.

sfactor23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfactor23

I'm doing it because, to me, the commando sole is more comfortable than the leather sole, plus better traction, and I like the look - just my humble opinion

I'm replacing the whole sole (I believe) - I'm taking the boots to B. Nelson next week, and should have a clear understanding as to what they will actually be doing after that.
Interesting. I've seen it done both ways though I don't have any experience with it (I am thinking of doing the same as you with my CXL Ultimate Jumpers). I would presume, if it can be done, that keeping the double waterlock sole and having the commando adhered over it would be a great option if it can be replaced easily. Of course then you don't need the replace the whole sole when it wears out. I'm curious what the folks at B. Nelson think about that. Maybe you can let us know if you get a chance? I would be very interested given their superior reputation on SF.

no problem - I'm expecting to receive my jumpers by Friday, and intend to bring to B. Nelson sometime next week - I'll provide updates -

sfactor23

Reaction score
Who is doing this makeup? Is it shell? Are those socks OTC?
Thats the Unionmade X Krusty The Clown make up.

rotflmao.gif

kippy

Reaction score

maybe your health insurance will cover some shell for you, then!

I actually have flat feet and a medical condition that offers the possibility of orthopedic shoes as a treatment. When I learned about Alden's orthopedic line a couple of years ago I tried to get my doctor to "prescribe" a pair of cordovan shoes for me....I was shot down :)

kippy

Reaction score

JPFNY5

Reaction score
Thanks, that does look like it is the shoe in question. I guess not a bad look for a very casual "athletic" orthopedic shoe. When do you use them?
Thanks for the link
They are very casual and make it an easy transition from street to bowling ally! I wear them with jeans ..khakis...alternative to PTB.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, that does look like it is the shoe in question. I guess not a bad look for a very casual "athletic" orthopedic shoe. When do you use them?

Thanks for the link

They are very casual and make it an easy transition from street to bowling ally! I wear them with jeans ..khakis...alternative to PTB.

They kind of remind me of monkey boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads