• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailored Shirtmaker in Southern US?

eddddi

Reaction score
Hello folks, new to the forum, hope everyone is well.

I just wanted to reach out and ask a quick question and get some advice about shirtmakers in the US, more specifically the South. I'm from North Carolina and I can't seem to find ANY decent shirtmaker in the region. I had about 10 dress shirts made while I was in Thailand but the shirts are beginning to get a bit worn and I also want to get some sportshirts made along with patterned dress shirts. Sure there is Brooks Brothers, but I was hoping you guys knew of better places.

Any recommendations on where to go (and average price per shirt (I'm a college student so probably can't swing a $200+ button-up))?? And if any of you know where to go within Charlotte/Greensboro/Chapel Hill/Raleigh/Durham area it would even be better!

Fire away the recommendations!

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hamilton shirts.

82-Greg

Reaction score
Most custom shirt makers using quality shirtings are going to start in the $130 - $160 (USD) range (YMMV). If you are truly a college student, don't worry about custom shirts now--you still may grow in college. Wait till the summer before you become a senior to start looking to build a wardrobe.

Also shirts would not be #1 on my list, a couple of suits (solid navy and solid charcoal) would be higher priorities.

ferry1950

Reaction score
Take the road to Richmond and give Creery's shirts a test drive.
Just picked up five more that I ordered last month, bringing my total now over 100 over the last 20 plus years.
They are having a sale, buy four get one free. My average cost of the shirts was $140 ($700 divided by 5) using house fabric, large pearl buttons, monogram, french cuffs, split yoke, and modified spread collar.
They are under new ownership (Pearly died a couple of years ago) but they have the same great back room ( all shirts made on the permises!) thanks Abell!

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferry1950
Take the road to Richmond and give Creery's shirts a test drive.
Just picked up five more that I ordered last month, bringing my total now over 100 over the last 20 plus years.
They are having a sale, buy four get one free. My average cost of the shirts was $140 ($700 divided by 5) using house fabric, large pearl buttons, monogram, french cuffs, split yoke, and modified spread collar.
They are under new ownership (Pearly died a couple of years ago) but they have the same great back room ( all shirts made on the permises!) thanks Abell!

i second this suggestion. there are a few guys in Atlanta as well.
there are many stores in the Carolinas that use the assorted factories in New jersey.

OffTheRack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
http://www.trcstyle.com/ in Charlotte carries Hamilton.

I was just at Taylor, Richards, and Conger the weekend before last while I was home for easter. It's a wonderful men's store, and definitely has the most extensive selection in the state that I've seen. They offer multiple MtM lines (domestic and Italian), are very knowledgeable, and have a large store that's great for browsing. Unlike most of the traditional haberdasheries in the South I've been to, they emphasize Italian designers, especially with respect to their accessories and sportswear. I picked up a beautiful Massimo Bizzochi pocket square there, and some great OTC socks. They also had a nice selection of Kiton ties, and had a large selection of Cucinelli items, in addition to the more usual Italian suspects (Zegna, Canali, etc.).

They do a really nice job of selecting pieces from makers that you wouldn't typically associate with southen style that still fit the southern aesthetic and are appropriate for business or leisure in the region.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OffTheRack
I was just at Taylor, Richards, and Conger the weekend before last while I was home for easter. It's a wonderful men's store, .

It is a fantastic men's store... i'm meeting my Oxxford salesman down there this weekend while he does a trunkshow there...

eddddi

Reaction score
Awesome! Thank you for some great tips there guys. I'm definitely going to look into Hamilton's and actually might look into the shirtmaker in Richmond (I do head up there sporadically).

I'm glad I found this site for some advice, haha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads