• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Berob

Reaction score
Can someone clarify the differences between Persol 2747, 2803, and 2761? I've tried them on in different places at different times but never all at once so the differences are indiscernible to me. I know the sizing is slightly different but that's all I can tell. Thanks in advance.

judgeholden

Reaction score
Are these OP Daddy B's authentic?:
Hard to tell in these pictures, but Oliver Peoples aren't the most counterfeited brand, although the Daddy B would probably be the most counterfeited style. I always forget that frame is made in Italy.
In any case, I'd highly doubt anyone is counterfeiting it in matte black. Easiest way to tell? Hold the lenses up to your monitor. Fake glasses usually have really, really ****** polarization, if any. OP will almost definitely have pretty high quality ones (I say 'almost' because I've seen a few get out of the factory that shouldn't have.)

JBBSen

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a quick question to ask: is there a way to tell what size a pair of Persol 714's are (52/54) from the inscription on the arms of the sunglasses (or from the accompanying documentation received in the box)? A friend has a pair which fit me well, but he's not sure what size they are so I'd like to find out so I can get a pair too! Thanks in advance!

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ it should be listed on the inside of the arm.. something like 54 / 18 / 140 or whatever the size may be for the lens / bridge / arm.

dupper

Reaction score
Raybans aren't my favorite. Lens quality is poor. Have you checked out Retrosuperfuture or Wonderland? both have the wayfarer shape with MUCH better lenses

Saito816

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can have a lens crafters or other prescription eye place put prescription sunglass lenses in a pair of Persol 649s or 714s? I was going to buy the glasses off of ebay, but was unsure if I could later replace the lenses with a prescription lens or not. Thanks so much!

darkzero

Reaction score
Guys I'm looking for an alternative to the Money 2 (Auburn Tortoise) by Selima Optique. They're $385 new when they're available which is just... a lot.

I've been searching for a similar style.. essentially the same color gradient and frame, but also the same size (57-58mm) as anything larger is just too big for my face. Or if anyone has these used I'd be interested.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently, the Sunglasses Huts at Macy's have begun offering lifetime exchanges on their products. Whether they're scratched, broken, no longer fit right, or you just don't like 'em, you should be able to exchange them in perpetuity -- much better than their usual 90 day warranty.

ffatt

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was looking for a pair of wayfarers in somewhat of a more squared form. Any recommendations and if some could ID these? As for pic....ahhh ya!

Last edited:

shadowsnuzzy

Reaction score
Where can I try on sunglasses brands that are not as hyped like Raybans, Persol, Mauis ect

I'm digging the look of Retrosuperfutures but I need to try on sunglasses before buying them. I live in the San Francisco area, any shops that specialize in this kind of stuff?

mr usneun

Reaction score
Where can I try on sunglasses brands that are not as hyped like Raybans, Persol, Mauis ect

I'm digging the look of Retrosuperfutures but I need to try on sunglasses before buying them. I live in the San Francisco area, any shops that specialize in this kind of stuff?

Buy fake ones on ebay for 3 bucks. If you like them, buy the real deal (in size normal/medium!!!). this is how i made it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads