1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Sunglasses MEGATHREAD - all sunglass questions here please

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by josepidal, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Phrost

Phrost Well-Known Member

sharkrunner, do those multi-barrel (5-7) hinged sunglasses also spring hinged? Do they flex when worn or do you need to buy the right temple width?

2. Tsujigiri

Tsujigiri Well-Known Member

The way the temples on that last one get thicker towards the tips makes me think they may be Cutler and Gross... I'm not sure which model, though. The 0734 has that keyhole bridge, but the 0737 has the diamond rivets. This was so long ago that it's highly possible that they were made by a company that's no longer around, though.

Since they're acetate they will flex to some degree, but the hinges themselves aren't spring-loaded. You'd want to get a proper temple width for either type of spring so the fit will look right.

3. Phrost

Phrost Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying. So are all glasses that have front mounted rivets barrel hinged? Do barrel hinges function similar to a door hinge, in that they have a limited range of motion?

Am I correct in assuming that rivets and the extra piece of metal hinge joining the frame and arms would not work on spring hinges? They wouldn't be able to flex, right?

Is one construction better than the other, or are certain methods better suited for different purposes?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  4. plot

plot Well-Known Member

I finished reading through this whole thread this week, loving some of the suggestions here! I have yet to see any mention of Bevel in the thread though, any opinions on the brand? I tried on a gorgeous pair of Bevel Aviators in a boutique near DC, but am curious whether they're worth the $500 price tag.

[​IMG]

And a second question, are there any glasses similar to Oliver Peoples O'Malleys or Garrett Leight Kinneys that are slightly more affordable? I'm mostly interested in the circular shape and translucent honey-colored frame.

[​IMG]

I've seen these O'Malleys on ebay for $250, but am wary that for that price they may be fake.

5. Tramlines

Tramlines Active Member

Just about everything .... looks like the O'Malleys by OP......looks like meaning looking like a rip-off version!

If you like the original, why not save up for it?

when they are on sale by authorised dealers, they usually have around 20-30% off, or end of season. Much better than getting a rip-off look-a-like maybe?

Here's how much they cost to make btw:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...0-brands-owned-designed-sold-one-company.html

Now that Oliver People's have fallen into this category, I've moved over to Garrett Leight :)

6. sharkrunner

sharkrunner Well-Known Member

new entry
    OP Masek in Cocobolo , Cosmik Tone lens

51-22-145

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. sharkrunner

new added

Oliver Peoples for Byredo
    Eyevan 727

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. sharkrunner

new entry:
    Tom Ford TF399 Frank
    50-20-145
    Havana

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Looking for recommendations...I noticed that Amazon has great prices on Persol. The ones I tried on at Sunglass Hut looked to be excellent quality and had superb lenses...

Is this a reasonable way to go? Anything else around $150 I should be looking at?

Thanks.

10. Best Budz

Best Budz Well-Known Member

11. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Well-Known Member

Too round. Only a few people with a certain style and probably facial structure - like the man in the picture - can pull that off.

12. kthien

kthien New Member

Does anyone know what brand/model these sunglasses are?

13. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

What would be the most ideal way of removing a ligth scratch from acetate frames (not lenses)?

14. benjamin831

benjamin831 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about Retrosuperfuture's quality?

15. benjamin831

Polywatch works wonders as a plastic polish

1 person likes this.
  16. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, would it help conceal a scratch like this on the frame?

[​IMG]

17. brokeassp

brokeassp Well-Known Member

after a couple yrs., I regret the folding persols. The metal hinge shaves a good amount of the plastic off as the wear and tear set in. This is usually a day or two after tightening the screw. In due time, there would be nothing left for the hinges to bite on and I`d be left with two separate frames.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  18. thomasec

thomasec Well-Known Member

Posted this in the eyewear thread but wanted to share here. For those of you looking for Mykita Sunglasses - I just ordered a few pairs through the following site:

https://globaldesigncollective.com/collections/mens-eyewear

You get 15% off your first order, and with the strength of the US dollar relative to the Euro, most frames come to around $270 US. I also emailed the store's owner (Daniel), who said he'd be able to order almost any pair of sunglasses directly from Mykita, and he'd still be happy to apply 15% off of the order. Pretty solid deal. My order came to almost half of what they sell for in the US. Just let him know you found his info on styleforum.

2 people like this.
  19. leeba

leeba Well-Known Member

also would like to know about this, thinking of getting giaguaro's if I can find them for super cheap but might just hop on mykita's or something established/nicer if there's a noticeably diff in quality

20. benjamin831

Yeah, it'll probably clear 90% of it

Yeah, I was eying the Giaguaro too, in forma silver

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016