• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TS2404

Reaction score
As I understand it fresco = high twist plain weave, Minnis has the benchmark book. It's scratchy and a bit rough-looking but breathes better than equivalent weight worsted. Tropical wool is more a generic descriptor for lightweight suiting, I think. So stuff like the Lesser 8/9 book.

Is there much difference between fresco and tropical wool in terms of comfort in warmer weather? Do either/both make a significant difference in summer wearability when compared against the standard worsted wool suit? Thanks

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there much difference between fresco and tropical wool in terms of comfort in warmer weather? Do either/both make a significant difference in summer wearability when compared against the standard worsted wool suit? Thanks

I’m in TX, if I am just walking car->office garage->office and back there isn’t much difference between heavier and lighter suiting but if I’m going to be outside for any meaningful period fresco or tropical are both a huge improvement. Not a huge difference between my fresco suits and my Lesser 8/9 (I think it’s called the 313 book?) but one of those gets tapped for outdoor summer weddings and the like for sure.

Fresco hangs better — the reason iGents like it is that it tailors like heavier cloth — but the Lesser is more smoothly finished and is more formal.

Just my personal .02 take it for what you paid for it ;)

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
https://www.spierandmackay.com/white-oxford-22443.html

Does anyone have a picture of button down dress shirts with a tie? In pictures, the collar looks rather slim and I'm not sure if they're meant to be worn with ties or not.

The BD collars are good with ties, see below.

594783C6-30E9-4605-A78A-C84226E1AEE2.jpeg
E7949799-8973-4CA4-B4A8-62DD609B03E1.jpeg

conak

Reaction score
I am planning on buying the navy fresco but i am unsure regarding the wool mohair fresco. I am planning on wearing it both as a suit and as separates. Will the mohair ad sheen making it look like an orphaned suit jacket?

@spiermackay can you please comment? Is this suitable as both a suit and SC/blazer suit?

From my limited experience, it’s hard to know with mohair until you see it. I have a suit that’s 70/25/5 wool/mohair/cashmere which makes a great warm weather fabric and has no sheen at all. But I’ve also got a cotton-linen blend with just 5% mohair added that has a mild sheen. If expect a high-twist to have little to no sheen, though. Probably less than a worsted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads