• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NickInTO

Reaction score
This is just the first test group. So if you can provide any feedback on where we could improve them it would be greatly appreciated. We don't want you to be pretty happy, we want our customers to be blown away!

I received my 3 slim fit oxfords yesterday. I'm pretty blown away by the quality for $40. And, as usual, very impressed by the fast delivery time. It's Amazon-esque.

Ideally, the collar would have slightly more roll, and they'd be a little slimmer in the back (to be fair, I'm much skinnier than the average man. So I could be the only one who thinks that). All in all, great shirts that I'll wear more casually.

I'll definitely buy a few more OCBDs when I can make it into the shop to get fitted for MTM.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I received my 3 slim fit oxfords yesterday. I'm pretty blown away by the quality for $40. And, as usual, very impressed by the fast delivery time. It's Amazon-esque.

Ideally, the collar would have slightly more roll, and they'd be a little slimmer in the back (to be fair, I'm much skinnier than the average man. So I could be the only one who thinks that). All in all, great shirts that I'll wear more casually.

I'll definitely buy a few more OCBDs when I can make it into the shop to get fitted for MTM.

There should be plenty of roll in these. If you wore them out of the pack, the butterfly that was used is the same we use in our dress shirt pack. this sort of makes the collar a bit out of shape out of the pack. If you see the pic on the mannequin I posted earlier, that was after a really quick re-press of the collar to bounce it back into shape.

Moving forward, we will use a different butterfly for packing. That said, the roll of the collar is VERY important to us on this development, and I'll certainly be revisiting this as we push ahead.

Cheers,
Rick

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rick, did I miss something - there's only one contemporary shirt (white) showing online? Is the light blue coming in this fit?

NickInTO

Reaction score
There should be plenty of roll in these. If you wore them out of the pack, the butterfly that was used is the same we use in our dress shirt pack. this sort of makes the collar a bit out of shape out of the pack. If you see the pic on the mannequin I posted earlier, that was after a really quick re-press of the collar to bounce it back into shape.

Moving forward, we will use a different butterfly for packing. That said, the roll of the collar is VERY important to us on this development, and I'll certainly be revisiting this as we push ahead.

Cheers,
Rick

Fair enough. I'm going to wash and iron them tomorrow, so I'll have a better sense then.

zinc2162

Reaction score
This is just the first test group. So if you can provide any feedback on where we could improve them it would be greatly appreciated. We don't want you to be pretty happy, we want our customers to be blown away!

For this price, I think it can't be beat. I orderd a slim. Similar to @NickInTO experience, I like the back to be a little slimmer too. I also find the armholes and bicep to be a bit too roomy for me. But for off the rack shirts, I think this is pretty good fit. In terms of the collar, I like it a lot. Here is a quick picture of me wearing the shirt before it is washed. I know Rick has spent a lot of time looking for a good fabric at a reasonable price and I think he has found one. The fabric is soft and has a good weight. Again, this is an assessment before washing the shirt. I will see how it feels after washing it.

I also picked up a flannel. Same size as the oxford but I feel it is a bit more roomier overall. The flannel is going to shrink a bit more though, right?

emidyl

Reaction score
I also picked up a flannel. Same size as the oxford but I feel it is a bit more roomier overall. The flannel is going to shrink a bit more though, right?

it will but just a little bit, cold and cool tumble, but if you're so inclined you can get it to shrink a bit more.

mmmtttt

Reaction score
Juste received my OCBD and wow. Fabric is great, collar roll looks great. Will report back after a fee wears with sweaters and blazers but for now its unbeatable at that price. I will echo the fact that the back could be slimmer, but again I'm a very slim person with tall arms.

NickInTO

Reaction score

You were right, the collars look much better after washing and pressing.

variancelog

Reaction score
I received my new custom shirts recently, a button down in OSH-520 (white and blue gingham) and a spead collar in MT-547 white with blue graph check). The gingham is a remake of my first shirt ordered last summer. It was adjusted based on requests to fix some fit issues and style details that didn't turn out right. The graph check shirt (from a second order) was requested as well to test the spread collar I requested. The time between sending the requests and receiving the two shirts was about 11 weeks, but included the Black Friday deals and Christmas season.

Click below to read the rest of the review.

MT-547 Blue & White Galway Box Check
Light/Medium weight. Smooth. Very slight sheen. Translucent (can see through single layer parts).

OSH-520 Blue Morningside Gingham
Lightweight. Smooth. Matte. Opaque. Could be worn casually without ironing, as it comes from hang drying pretty much wrinkle-free.

Premium thick MOP buttons:
Really nice, pearlescent, buttons. Great value at only +$10. Only wish they had a thinner version of these. Ordered by email request and will continue to do so.

Fit adjustments:

Most of the fit adjustments they did were effective (e.g. sleeves, front shoulders, lower back) while the fit across the upper back is worse. I suspect that changing the yoke shape can fix this issue. (You guys who have perfect fit with the RTW models are fortunate!). Other stylistic details were correctly done this round.

Button down points were increased from 3.25 to 3.5 in as requested. Greatly prefer the new collar! Rick says this is similar to the new BD on the RTW shirts, not sure exactly how they differ in shape. One difference is that mine has soft fused lining rather than unfused.

The collar length (i.e. neck size) on this one was supposed to be increased by .5"-.75" compared to the original collar, but unfortunately was only increased by about .25", so I couldn't wear this with a tie if I wanted to.

Custom spread collar was requested with approximate measurements of 3 1/8" points, 1/4" tie space, 5 5/8" spread, 1 7/16" rear band height, with reference to some example images. (Edit: I spoke with Rick about this. These specs were sent in my original email last July, which got lost along the way and why there was a mix up about this.) Length came out within spec on this one at 15 3/8" after washing. Collar details came out close to spec but with larger with 3.5in points and 6in spread. I like the result nonetheless -- it is a very nicely made collar and looks good with a tie! Only problem I had, that I've never encountered before, is irritation from it rubbing against my neck. I suspect that it is because of the stiff lining, so will try a softer lining next time. Might have to increase collar length as well. (Edit: after washing a second time, there seems to be no more irritation with this collar -- next time I'll be sure to wash 2x before wearing to be safe.)

Order number of the spread collar is 08619 for anyone interested.

Last edited:

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
For this price, I think it can't be beat. I orderd a slim. Similar to @NickInTO experience, I like the back to be a little slimmer too. I also find the armholes and bicep to be a bit too roomy for me. But for off the rack shirts, I think this is pretty good fit. In terms of the collar, I like it a lot. Here is a quick picture of me wearing the shirt before it is washed. I know Rick has spent a lot of time looking for a good fabric at a reasonable price and I think he has found one. The fabric is soft and has a good weight. Again, this is an assessment before washing the shirt. I will see how it feels after washing it.

The flannel is a looser weave compared to the oxford, so will drape and feel a bit different. Spec wise they are the same. It will shrink a tiny bit after a couple of washes.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay

What is the difference with the navy blue gingham that is on sale at the moment and the one that @variancelog posted? I want to try a button down collar but I think 3.5 inch would be too long for my liking so probably 3 1/4 would work.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@spiermackay

What is the difference with the navy blue gingham that is on sale at the moment and the one that @variancelog posted? I want to try a button down collar but I think 3.5 inch would be too long for my liking so probably 3 1/4 would work.

The gingham on sale is not the same. It's a loose weave, similar to a madras cloth. Very light in weight, semi casual, but very cool wearing. A warm weather shirt. The collar you want to order would be the C-10, contemporary button down. Has shorter points.

zinc2162

Reaction score
I received my new custom shirts recently, a button down in OSH-520 (white and blue gingham) and a spead collar in MT-547 white with blue graph check). The gingham is a remake of my first shirt ordered last summer. It was adjusted based on requests to fix some fit issues and style details that didn't turn out right. The graph check shirt (from a second order) was requested as well to test the spread collar I requested. The time between sending the requests and receiving the two shirts was about 11 weeks, but included the Black Friday deals and Christmas season.

Click below to read the rest of the review.

OSH-520 Blue Morningside Gingham
MT-547 Blue & White Galway Box Check

Light/Medium weight. Smooth. Very slight sheen. Translucent (can see through single layer parts).

Lightweight. Smooth. Matte. Opaque. Could be worn casually without ironing, as it comes from hang drying pretty much wrinkle-free.

Fit adjustments:

Most of the fit adjustments they did were effective (e.g. sleeves, front shoulders, lower back) while the fit across the upper back is worse. I suspect that changing the yoke shape can fix this issue. (You guys who have perfect fit with the RTW models are fortunate!). Other stylistic details were correctly done this round.

Button down points were increased from 3.25 to 3.5 in as requested. Greatly prefer the new collar! Rick says this is similar to the new BD on the RTW shirts, not sure exactly how they differ in shape. One difference is that mine has soft fused lining rather than unfused.

The collar length on this one was supposed to be increased by .5"-.75" compared to round one, but unfortunately was only increased by about .25", so I couldn't wear this with a tie if I wanted to.

Custom spread collar was requested with approximate measurements of 3 1/8" points, 1/4" tie space, 5 5/8" spread, 1 7/16" rear band height, with reference to some example images. Length came out within spec on this one at 15 3/8" after washing. Collar details came out close to spec but with larger with 3.5in points and 6in spread. I like the result nonetheless -- it is a very nicely made collar and looks good with a tie! Only problem I had, that I've never encountered before, is irritation from it rubbing against my neck. I suspect that it is because of the stiff lining, so will try a softer lining next time. Might have to increase collar length as well.

Order number of the spread collar is 08619 for anyone interested.

Thanks for the review. I have the Blue Morningside Gingham on order. Looking forward to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads