1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Well-Known Member

What is your favorite and how do you take it?

Booker's and I take it neat or as an Old Fashioned. As for other bourbon cocktails, such as the Manhattan or Mint Julep, I turn to Maker's Mark. Maker's adds just the right amount of sweetness and I feel less bad clouding its taste than say I would with a more premium bourbon.

1 person likes this.
  2. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I think we've had this thread twice before.

I think my favorite is Woodford Reserve. Bulleit is also great.

3. Southern Beau

Southern Beau Active Member

Manhattan neat with Basil Hayden's. A nice and smooth bourbon that sips well.

Woodford Reserve is my choice when I make juleps.

Wild Turkey Single barrel for Virginia Tech football tailgates.

4. why

why Well-Known Member

Done this before.

Woodford is very good, but Basil Hayden's is my fav.

5. The Wayfarer

I think we've had this thread twice before.

Hm, I made it a point to search before posting this too. All I turned up were a few threads asking for bourbon recommendations. I intended this more as a curiosity of everyone's favorites and how they take it. If a mod cares to merge this with an existing through, by all means.

6. scarphe

scarphe Well-Known Member

rip van winkle or buffloe trace. bulliet is prety good as well.the rye is good from rip van winkle as well but there are better ryes avaible at least in m limited xp.

7. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

Knob if mixed. Woodford of neat/rocks. Jim Beam if on the cheap.

Lately if it's mixed I have it as a sour. Otherwise on the rocks if I have ice.

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Aww hell, I couldn't name just one. Bulleit, Turkey, Knob, Woodford, Basil, Buffalo. Any bourbon is A-okay with me.

Generally on a couple rocks and maybe a little splash of water. Some manhattans, old fashioned, sometimes just with Coke. Whatever sounds good at the time.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

I still think of myself as a newcomer to Bourbon, having been a devoted Scotch guy for so long. That said:

Woodford: Neat and Velvet Manhattan.

Knob: Standard Manhattan, mint julep and Old Fashioned.

I've not had Bulleit, but it's on my list.

~ Huntsman

10. The Wayfarer

I still think of myself as a newcomer to Bourbon, having been a devoted Scotch guy for so long. That said: Woodford: Neat and Velvet Manhattan. Knob: Standard Manhattan, mint julep and Old Fashioned. I've not had Bulleit, but it's on my list. ~ Huntsman
    For me it has been the other way around. I know Bourbon pretty well, but I'm just now delving further into Scotch. What is this Velvet Manhattan? Either Google is broken or I'm assuming that's a recipe of your own fashioning. Bulleit is great. I wouldn't say quite on the same level as my beloved Booker's, but it's certainly up there. I recently had an opportunity to interview Tom Bulleit for a piece I'm working on. I'm pretty excited to finish it up. What impresses me most is the hand's on, personal approach that all of these Bourbon distillers take with both their product and businesses. It's a much welcomed change of pace from the world of faceless corporations.

11. Brian278

Brian278 Well-Known Member

Woodford, Knob, Baker's, Booker's, Basil Hayden. The first two of which are always, always in stock at my bar. Don't like Maker's in the least. Really want to try Blanton's, Jefferson Reserve, and the higher-end Wild Turkey stuff (Eagle Rare, IIRC). All so very delicious. Mostly drank in homemade sours, occasionally on the rocks.

12. Huntsman

For me it has been the other way around. I know Bourbon pretty well, but I'm just now delving further into Scotch. What is this Velvet Manhattan? Either Google is broken or I'm assuming that's a recipe of your own fashioning. Bulleit is great. I wouldn't say quite on the same level as my beloved Booker's, but it's certainly up there. I recently had an opportunity to interview Tom Bulleit for a piece I'm working on. I'm pretty excited to finish it up. What impresses me most is the hand's on, personal approach that all of these Bourbon distillers take with both their product and businesses. It's a much welcomed change of pace from the world of faceless corporations.
    I agree about the value of soul in a product. I live for that, pretty much. You're a writer? Excellent, and that interview opportunity sounds like a true pleasure. The Velvet Manhattan is both my own recipe and a symptom of a broken Google. My post on SF about it certainly should have been the first result! It is an homage to some friends of mine. 2oz Woodford 1 oz Lillet Rouge 0.25 oz Sweet Vermouth 1 tsp 1:1 simple syrup (or not, it really depends on the Vermouth. With Vya, I like it) 5 drops bitters (something with a cinnamon topnote) Serve in the usual way. By the way, Wayfarer, I had a Delirium Tremens the other day on (I believe) your reccomendation. That is crazy stuff! I really enjoyed it, thanks. ~Huntsman

13. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

Just about any. Seriously.

On my desk: Woodford, Knob, Makers, Bulleit, and Evan Williams Single Barrel. I don't mind Baker's, Booker's, or ________ available at my local bar but I can't say I find anything particularly exciting about them. I used to be a HUGE Makers fan but have found myself drinking more Knob with Coke or Woodford on the rocks than anything else; I use Bulleit as the in-between.

14. Connemara

I can't consume more than one glass of Maker's. It's not a very good liquor.

1 person likes this.
  15. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

I can't consume more than one glass of Maker's. It's not a very good liquor.
    You take that the fuck back.

16. Connemara

You take that the fuck back.
    I don't like liquefied candy you nincompoop.

17. Huntsman

I don't like liquefied candy you nincompoop.
    I don't think it's fair to say Maker's isn't a very good liquor. As for being liquefied candy, I've just grabbed my nosing glass, gone to the bar and pulled Makers, Knob, and Woodford from stock and had a little taste test. Makers, not surprisingly, is the lightest of the three. I get roasted corn silk right upfront on the nose, then toffee, treacle and vanillin. This is repeated with water at 10%BV, and on the palate more of the same, definitely some vanilla creme caramel going on. It is sweet on the tongue, but this sense is synthetically heightened by the perception of sweetness given by our familiarity with the scents -- caramel is sweet, therefore, that which smells like caramel is sweet, even though that's not necessarily true. Woodford darn near takes your head off with organic solvents, Xylene, gasoline, ethylene, but with an undercurrent of floral and fruity notes. With water, it backs off to the lighter fractions -- overripe bananas, aldehydes and esters. On the palate it's surprisingly mild, given that nose, with gentle spice and something vaguely orangey, like an orange tobacco or somesuch. It's still sweet on the tip of the tongue, but it is not reinforced by the nose. The Knob is even heavier, but all heavy esters, not that dancing Xylene, and leather, and nutty wood in place of the fruit. On the palate it's more of the same, but with allspice and rum. Differences in sweetness on these is really subtle, and complicated my associations with the spirits' noses. I doubt if any are far off in terms of residual sugar -- to call it liquefied candy is the narcissism of a minor difference, though a case can be made around the noses. The surprise for me here is that while Woodford gives me the most of what I'm after, Makers is the most elegant of the three. Go figure. ~ Huntsman

18. oman

oman Well-Known Member

so you're saying makers isn't actually that much sweeter than the others, but we perceive it to be so because of the smell? interesting and very viable hypothesis

19. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

so you're saying makers isn't actually that much sweeter than the others, but we perceive it to be so because of the smell? interesting and very viable hypothesis

Mmm yes, indubidably old chap.

20. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

I think my favorite is Woodford Reserve.

+1.
    I like mine with water.