• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My coworker said my OTR BD shirt fits perfect.

Thanks Spier and Mackay :)

On that note. Question for everyone here, are you fans of the box pleat? Visually speaking I am not

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not either but I understand it comes with the "prep" look OCBD's are meant for!

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not either but I understand it comes with the "prep" look OCBD's are meant for!

Don't know the history but this fat old guy at my work who wears BD's as well but his shirts fit like a tent. I rather a clean line myself

Disclaimer - No offense intended

Last edited:

burgerkong

Reaction score
My coworker said my OTR BD shirt fits perfect.

Thanks Spier and Mackay
smile.gif

On that note. Question for everyone here, are you fans of the box pleat? Visually speaking I am not

Don't know the history but this fat old guy at my work who wears BD's as well but his shirts fit like a tent. I rather a clean line myself

Disclaimer - No offense intended

No, I'm not, but that was how OCBD's were originally designed.

Johnsson

Reaction score
I love OCBDs as casual shirts, but I'll leave the box pleats and locker loops to the trad fetishists. :)

burgerkong

Reaction score
Rick, adding onto the recent discussion, will there be box pleat-less OCBD's in the future, or is this forever a custom option?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean side pleats (like one on each side, joining the yoke) or shoulder "ripples", like in spalla camicia?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe side pleats.

If so, I quite like them. I have a bigger upper back then chest. Side pleats give me a little bit more movement range when reaching forward with my arms (tying my shoes, etc).

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question to people who have purchase OTR OCBD's from S&M.

Are yours wearable with a jacket? The one I received looks fine by itself (truth be told, I find the collar points a tad short on my big frame), but doesn't appears to be wearable with a jacket / sport coat. It's hard to explain it, but it's like the back of the shirt collar stands high on the neck but the collar itself (not the band) isn't tall enough, so it has a tendency to ride over the jacket lapels, instead of sitting properly under. Which I find is a deal breaker for me. I don't know if it's because of the collar dimensions, it's understructures-ness, the jacket which I paired it with or a combination of these factors.

On another note, has anyone else's OCBD been slimmer than other S&M shirts, or did I simply received a QC mistake? The OCBD I received fits noticeably slimmer in the abdomen region when compared to other shirts from S&M in the same size.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are yours wearable with a jacket? The one I received looks fine by itself (truth be told, I find the collar points a tad short on my big frame), but doesn't appears to be wearable with a jacket / sport coat. It's hard to explain it, but it's like the back of the shirt collar stands high on the neck but the collar itself (not the band) isn't tall enough, so it has a tendency to ride over the jacket lapels, instead of sitting properly under. Which I find is a deal breaker for me. I don't know if it's because of the collar dimensions, it's understructures-nessthe jacket which I paired it with or a combination of these factors.

On another note, has anyone else's OCBD been slimmer than other S&M shirts, or did I simply received a QC mistake? The OCBD I received fits noticeably slimmer in the abdomen region when compared to other shirts from S&M in the same size. 

I have never tried with a sports jacket to be honest. But I can give it a go tonight.

All my BD shirts fit the same. I have a small issue with the left shoulder kinda sticking up but it could be my ironing? Kinda like how your hair sticks up when you wake up in the AM.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Rick, adding onto the recent discussion, will there be box pleat-less OCBD's in the future, or is this forever a custom option?

No plan just yet, but if enough customers start to ask for it, we will consider it.

Are yours wearable with a jacket? The one I received looks fine by itself (truth be told, I find the collar points a tad short on my big frame), but doesn't appears to be wearable with a jacket / sport coat. It's hard to explain it, but it's like the back of the shirt collar stands high on the neck but the collar itself (not the band) isn't tall enough, so it has a tendency to ride over the jacket lapels, instead of sitting properly under. Which I find is a deal breaker for me. I don't know if it's because of the collar dimensions, it's understructures-ness, the jacket which I paired it with or a combination of these factors.

Can you PM me a pic of you wearing the shirt with a Jacket so I can see what's going on? the points are 3 1/2", which is on the longer side, most OCBD's are in the 3" - 3 3/8" range. I just dealt with a similar issue you are describing and it may be how the collar was pressed before packing.

Rick

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
FWIW, I was in NYC yesterday and stopped by Kamakura and had a close look at their OCBD shirts. The collars on them are fused. It's the fused structure that gives the rigid roll of the collar. Our OCBD's don't have fusing in them, which is more traditional and softer.

What is the preference?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads